• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    This has probably been discussed somewhere, at some time before, but, why don't they make a variable distance red dot "built in" to the scope? You can put an "X" magnifier on a red dot, so, why don't they just do it as an all in one to begin with? Variable distance scope equals a variable red dot?

And no, I do not know much about either.
    Capitol Armory ad

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    My guess would be the size of the reticle dot. That little dot covers a huge part of the field of view.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The red dot is a different class of sight. It's main duty is reflex. Bring it up, cover it with the dot. Shoot. It's not meant to be precision. It's meant to be fast and effective. Close range.

If one feels they need more precision in a reflex sight. Then ACOG offers the magnified view.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    See, that's what I was thinking. It adjusts, so to speak, to the given distance(s). Larger for closer, smaller for further. BUT, more of a singular size. But not really. Kinda like a variable 1-2 MOA.

Is that even possible with a scope?

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    There are quite a few "red dot" scopes on the market. leupold for instance makes a heavy duplex reticule that only the fine center part illuminates. In the 3-9 for instance. When dialed down to 3 it can act as a close power red dot and do precision work at 9 power. There are quite a few that have power ranges from 1-6 and work great for point blank to several hundred yards. These can come in dots, plus shapes or things like circles and horse shoes.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    There are quite a few "red dot" scopes on the market. leupold for instance makes a heavy duplex reticule that only the fine center part illuminates. In the 3-9 for instance. When dialed down to 3 it can act as a close power red dot and do precision work at 9 power. There are quite a few that have power ranges from 1-6 and work great for point blank to several hundred yards. These can come in dots, plus shapes or things like circles and horse shoes.
    This, the Leupold Fire Dot series and others.

While not a true red dot type scope, the illumination is just one red dot in the center of the reticle. Not a fully illuminated reticle like most.

NativH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Houston
    Just received my 1-8X24 for my AR build. Will be the first time I've used anything but an Aimpoint on an AR and looking forward to it. Price is hard to beat and PA has always provided quality products, service and price. Can't wait to get this thing up and running, when time allows that is.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...s-5-56-5-45-308-reticle-pa1-8x24sfp-acss-5-56

GUNNER51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2017
    TOMBALL
    NativH,

Wow a 1-8 scope! I have never seen a range that high! I have a fixed power 4x on my trusty deer rifle. A 1-8 sounds like a hoot. I might could be persuaded to grab one if they offered a DUPLEX reticle. Tactical is not a word one would use to describe me. HAHA!

Please let me know what you think of the scope!

Thanks kindly,
    GUNNER51

RobertTheTexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Central Texas
    This has probably been discussed somewhere, at some time before, but, why don't they make a variable distance red dot "built in" to the scope? You can put an "X" magnifier on a red dot, so, why don't they just do it as an all in one to begin with? Variable distance scope equals a variable red dot?

And no, I do not know much about either.

Have you looked at the VX-R? Leupold? They have what the call their "FireDot". The scope has crossshairs, but the illlum is a red dot. See this link for a image of the reticle. Is this what you're referring to? Your question was bit confusing. Also depending on if a scope if FFP or SFP would also impact h ow that dot is represented. Is that what you are asking? Why don't companies put a red dot in a LPV scope?

Leupold VX-R Firedot reticle

RobertTheTexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Central Texas
    Just received my 1-8X24 for my AR build. Will be the first time I've used anything but an Aimpoint on an AR and looking forward to it. Price is hard to beat and PA has always provided quality products, service and price. Can't wait to get this thing up and running, when time allows that is.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...s-5-56-5-45-308-reticle-pa1-8x24sfp-acss-5-56
    1-8 seems like the new 1-4. It' really fits a sweet spot for extended range while still giving you 1x for CQ. I would though, like to know how the eye relief is on the PA scope when you get it. That's one of the things that's kept me away from them at this point - I'm just not sure. Also while I can see value in their ACSS reticle, it seems just a little busy for my taste. I can see the value for guys who don't want to determine their own dope, but I think I would have to send a lot of pills downrange before my ol' eyeball could be trained in making quick precision shots with the ACSS. You are right PA does make quality products, so I expect that you are going to be very happy. I believe that the reports on PA"s other LPV scopes has been pretty darn positive. And you cannot beat their customer service. It is next to none. I find myself still paying state tax just because I know they will deliver what they say they will deliver. Maybe you can post a range report with your new scope when you get it? Also did they give you an idea on the release date? Good luck and I hope it fits the bill. I do look forward to hearing some feedback, I'm moving a scope from my SPR to my DMR and will need a good intermediate to somewhat long range for my SPR.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I have 2 Bushnell's 1-6.5 and 2 Vortex 1-6 and they take a lot of abuse while shooting 3 gun. I have a buddy that bought Burris 1-8 and recently sold his Vortex bc he says it's gtg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom