• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Just wanted to hear from some members who have had red dot pistols before. I have an astigmatism in both eyes so I find that red dot sights really help me in carbine shooting but I haven't tried out a red dot on a pistol ever. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue with their eyes and felt this was an improvement for them or if you just feel that red dots on pistols is better for you than iron sights. So any input from anyone is appreciated. Would especially like to hear from those with an astigmatism

I won't be carrying with a red dot, this is more or less just for fun. Thanks
    ARJ Defense ad

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I'm pretty traditional with my pistols so I've been loathe to mount a red dot on any of my pistols; however, I have relented on my Ruger MKIV (22/45 Lite w/threaded barrel) pistol. I'm not likely to put a red dot on any of my other handguns but I'm happy with this one.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Just wanted to hear from some members who have had red dot pistols before. I have an astigmatism in both eyes so I find that red dot sights really help me in carbine shooting but I haven't tried out a red dot on a pistol ever. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue with their eyes and felt this was an improvement for them or if you just feel that red dots on pistols is better for you than iron sights. So any input from anyone is appreciated. Would especially like to hear from those with an astigmatism

I won't be carrying with a red dot, this is more or less just for fun. Thanks

I’ve been running red dots for about 7 years now. I have an astigmatism as well. You may want to try a dual-illuminated RMR. I recommend the amber 7 MOA Dot. Check out Gabe Suarez’s Red Dot Pistol book.
    c46c8438bc14b7fee1421072db073f11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MTA

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    When I first tried an RDS on a pistol, it was John's gun actually, I didn't care for it, as I was too shaky, lol.
    Fast forward a couple years, and I have a Vortex Viper on my S.W. Victory, and enjoy it .
    I don't plan on carrying one though.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    i would love to do a Red Dot on a Pistol, but I too have an astigmatism. I just sold off all my red dots, every single one.

I should probably get another one though for SHTF. the red triangle is still Minute of Man.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I like the idea, especially for competition.

But making a pistol that much bigger doesn't work with my intended use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    i would love to do a Red Dot on a Pistol, but I too have an astigmatism. I just sold off all my red dots, every single one.

I should probably get another one though for SHTF. the red triangle is still Minute of Man.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Idk with my astigmatism, the red dot helps out a whole lot. Iron sights on a pistol are a no go unless they are blacked out for me as three dot sights turn into a a mess

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Idk with my astigmatism, the red dot helps out a whole lot. Iron sights on a pistol are a no go unless they are blacked out for me as three dot sights turn into a a mess
    I'm the opposite, irons are fine (my cross - eyed dominance is tough though).

red dots go from this .
    to this X
    in terms of size. The little red dot turns into a big red triangle.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I'm the opposite, irons are fine (my cross - eyed dominance is tough though).

red dots go from this .
    to this X
    in terms of size. The little red dot turns into a big red triangle.

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    Ah ok I understand. With my glasses, the red dot stays as a dot but irons can still be a PITA on pistols. With rifles, I am fine with both irons and red dots

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Have seen a number of RMR's installed on pistols, some say they really like them.

I have been shooting iron sights on pistols for too many years to switch now. Plus personally I do not like the added bulk.

Do like red dots for short range shooting on rifles.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I’ve had an RDS on my handgun for close to a year. Sadly I’ve only got maybe 4K of live fire through it. Maybe another 4K dry fire trigger pulls. Have astigmatism as well. At pistol ranges 25 and in the distortion of the dot for me without correction isn’t the reason I’ve missed something. Stretch a carbine uncorrected and I’ll accept the excuse of the grape being YUGE. For me the driving factor was the time to make focal plane shifts. Shifting focus from target to front sight was getting slower and slower and less sharp as time went by. Oddly my vision isn’t coke bottle horrible, but stuff wasn’t working like it used to. The RDS eliminates all that with maintaining target focus.

My one warning is that it’s different. Don’t expect to slap on an RDS and magic happens. If you take to it like a duck to water; great. If it requires work don’t get discouraged. This is doubly true if you are shooting on a timer and from a holster. The RDS exposes your sloppy press out like crazy. Work on it and give it a fair shake before passing final judgement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RANDY_MARSH

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2017
    I'm afraid that once I get one it'll be hard for me to go back to 3 dot.

I can see within the next 10 years we'll see LE departments experiment with them for SWAT and possibly patrol...

Top Bottom