• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Strange. PTSD isn't usually a problem for those kind of jobs, since they're usually more separated from the people who are trying to kill (and who are trying to kill them).

Not saying he wasn't affected. Just saying he's very unlucky that he was.

What about RPG's and such? I'd freak out if one of those came flying at me.

I see the MSRP for that plastic 10-22 stock in almost $300.

Red Jacket ZK-22 Bullpup Stock

And it looked like Vince got his pay off and is gone............

Says $229. But that's actually pretty damn cool looking.
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What about RPG's and such? I'd freak out if one of those came flying at me.

Being freaked out isn't exactly traumatic.

Hydroplaning sideways at 80 mph = freaked out.

Getting in a serious crash at 80 = traumatic.

Check out Grossman's book On Killing for better info, but PTSD is worse for ground pounders because it often winds up face-to-face fighting. The other guy hates you and wants to kill you, you actually get to SEE him (and the hate on his face) and hate and try to kill him back. Leads to higher incidence of PTSD.

Things that help? People saying something as simple as "you did the right thing." Hippies are in large part to blame for the PTSD among Vietnam vets.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    Yeah....but the stress levels can be pretty high - and with a given psyche, it can be enough. I've noticed that he always seemed to downplay his military experience on gunships, and this might well explain why. Time can help cure it as well - main thing is that he recognized and sought help for it. Might well be that he was already borderline w/anger control to begin with - who knows. The bigger thing to me is to hear about first-hand results of some of the groups out there helping out troops!!

PTSD in the military community is only 1-2% higher than the civilian population. You are probably correct on the anger issues, the link between PTSD and committing violence is very weak.

I've found that people in the military are far more resilient. Same goes for any profession where you just become accustomed to stuff. Everyone deals with things differently as well.

The media has helped to blow this out of proportion, that any and every vet is a PTSD timebomb etc. There is a ton of misinformation circulating right now because apparently, it sells. They don't mention that it can and does happen to people from all walks of life.

People would be very surprised if they took up a combat arms job in the military and realized how many meat-eaters love their job and live to take the fight to the enemy. The "shame" and regret that is reflected in the media is again, inflated crap.

Your coworkers are more likely to develop PTSD because the boss yells at them, or a friend because they fell off their motorcycle doing a wheelie.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    PTSD in the military community is only 1-2% higher than the civilian population. You are probably correct on the anger issues, the link between PTSD and committing violence is very weak.

I've found that people in the military are far more resilient. Same goes for any profession where you just become accustomed to stuff. Everyone deals with things differently as well.

The media has helped to blow this out of proportion, that any and every vet is a PTSD timebomb etc. There is a ton of misinformation circulating right now because apparently, it sells. They don't mention that it can and does happen to people from all walks of life.

Your coworkers are more likely to develop PTSD because the boss yells at them, or a friend because they fell off their motorcycle doing a wheelie.

The suicide rate among vets has caused concern because it went up... and matched that of the general population.

Serious problems? Yes. But a lot less frequent than the media would have us believe.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    The suicide rate among vets has caused concern because it went up... and matched that of the general population.

Serious problems? Yes. But a lot less frequent than the media would have us believe.
    I used to tell people all the time, especially when the military suicide rates were in the news cycle, yeah, joining the military lowers the chance of suicide. They used to get sooo mad at me, because it didn't fit their slander the military agenda.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    Suicides will always be an issue. The numbers will always change. I have seen them go up, down, and everywhere in-between. Naturally, the media alarm follows when the cycle resets. The soldiers get to sit in an array of briefs and classroom suicide prevention classes every time.

It is largely assumed that the military makes people do it.

Again, a lot of them are pre-existing conditions. There are kids who go to basic training to kill themselves. Had a couple guys do it very early on in their first deployment, too. No clue how/why that works.

That though, is a whole 'nother animal.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    Agreed on the seemingly "slander the military" agenda. I was talking about this with a close friend earlier.

(from a media viewpoint)

Let's say you're an LE guy. You may not like people approaching you with hands in their pockets. You ask to see their hands. Result: This is perceived as normal.

A military guy sees a shady looking dude walking towards him, hands in pocket and says "hey, let me see your hands". Result: Probably developing schizophrenic hallucinations. PTSD!!!!!

A college student makes sure to double check their doors are locked before going to bed. Result: Of course, pretty standard.

A veteran makes a round before racking out, to ensure that everything is locked up. Result: Must be hyper-paranoia. PTSD!!!!!

A banker gets mad at traffic and starts yelling at the dude who just cut him off. Result: Who wouldn't?

A vet does the same thing. Result: Uncontrollable aggression. PTSD!!!!

Don't get me wrong, there are dudes who need help. Loving my brothers more than anything, I want them to get it.

However, there's also lot of growing up that needs to be done on all sides.

Top Bottom