• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Cedar Park
    Anybody ever use one of those red spotlights mounted on a scope. I think they call they varmit lights. Anyway I am buying one for hog hunting. I was just wondering what to expect.
    Capitol Armory ad

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    You might want to hop on HUNTING HOGS IN TEXAS AND TRAPPING WILD HOGS BOAR HUNTING TEXAS TRAPPING WILD BOAR and see all the different things that people have tried. I can't remember the names, but there are a couple that a lot of the guys seem to really like......and they have tried everything. There are also a couple of brands that they say are not worth even buying. Look under 'hunting products/accessories' and also under 'night hunting'.

All you could ever want to know is there.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I've heard good things. I don't personally have any experience with a scope mounted light, but I have used red spot lights. The last time I used a red spot light it scared the hogs tho. I think it was the hunting pressure on that tract of land tho, there was a lot of hunting pressure there. Every other time we used red lights for hogs or yotes they did the trick. Hope this helps.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have the Big Red set up from Texas Boars and it is awesome. The pigs do not see in the red spectrum{ If you are too close they can see the source , but it looks like a grey orb} and they do not notice the illumination.

The scope lights are so so but if you are close enough{ under 50 yards} they are alright.

I do kill a lot of pigs, and by a lot , I mean a lot.

Good luck.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have the Big Red set up from Texas Boars and it is awesome. The pigs do not see in the red spectrum{ If you are too close they can see the source , but it looks like a grey orb} and they do not notice the illumination.

The scope lights are so so but if you are close enough{ under 50 yards} they are alright.

I do kill a lot of pigs, and by a lot , I mean a lot.

Good luck.
    Maybe we were to close when we got the "stampede" effect from those pigs we lit up. Hey do you mean a lot when you say a lot.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I've never had any problem from lighting them up with a red light. I also don't flick it on, pointed right at them, up close. I usually have it pointed up, turn it on, then bring it down on them.

Something else to consider, is that you could have made a noise when turning it on. We've had bad experiences anytime there was a 'mechanical' type click or clang. So, maybe they heard the switch or just caught wind of you?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I just turn the Big Red { they are LEDs} on just before sunset. With a good battery they will last about 6-8 hours before seriously dimming and then I hook up another battery. If it is on when they come in, they will not be spooked.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Maybe we did make noise with the light I can't remember wind direction but it was most likely in our face.

I've found that I can move around a bit and make some noise without much issue. However, any metallic or mechanical noises get them running every time. Once, my wife scared off a pig we had been trying to get for 4 years. It was the first time we got to really see him, he always came to the same area (but never came out in the open). We were ready to shoot (simultaneously)....and the click from taking her rifle off safety was all it took for him to disappear. It was almost an instant response, we never got to fire.

We have not seen him since........:banghead:

Top Bottom