• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    How are your Red Oaks doing after the freeze? Mine came back exceptionally well and look better than they did before. Not that big of a deal, but I noticed recently that all 3 of them have about double the number of acorns on the outer branches. These trees have always put out a ton of acorns but it looks like I am in for extra hours of raking and burning this year.

I almost wish they were like the Live Oaks that are still 2-3 years away from full recovery.
    Guns International

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Mine is doing great. In fact I had to hire tree trimmers to come out and thin it out. Incredible growth. My live oaks lost every leaf after the freeze, but are fullly recovered. They look great. I have three other trees that seemed to die out, but at weird spots they grew like crazy. I had the tree guys top them out and cut out all the dead stuff. He said it will take 2-3 years before they look full again.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Doing very well. Acorns did seem to come out early.

LIve oaks are doing great as well came back to 100% pretty fast.

Had a maple badly damaged, but it had already lost a major limb due to a tornado. Think the freeze was just the final straw.

Thought an ash was a goner, but it is coming back steadily. Back about 50%.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I keep reading about folks whose Live Oaks came back 100% but mine have not. The huge heritage tree in my front yard (about 60 years old) only brought back about 60% foliage and is full of dead wood even though I had it almost completely cleaned up last year. The one out back which is about 25 years old came back with 90% foliage but it is also full of dead wood, especially everything that was in the lower part of the canopy.
    As soon as the weather turns in October I will start cutting out the dead stuff but it will be a major task since 90% of it is finger size branches which are a royal pain.

I am in south Smith County and my property is on a 100% sand hill with the sand running 8-10 ft deep so I think the lack of moisture holding ability may have something to do with it although I know that the oaks put down some major tap roots and the water table under my property is pretty shallow. Before they banned new water wells here, my neighbor sank a well and hit good water at 25 ft. Once the city annexed the acreage plots around here they wanted to force everyone to use the city water from then on. Only those grandfathered in (plus those who have tree lines to hide drilling equipment) can avoid the ridiculous water bills

mdf9183

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2018
    Bastrop
    I read a report from Texas A&M that said it may take until next year for some of the oaks to revive themselves and not to cut them down or trim they as they will most likely come back fully next year.

stuhoevel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    San Antonio
    My three year old red oak came back without skipping a beat. My 10 year old Maple did the same. Both of my 11 year old live oaks dropped all of their leaves. One of them came back no problem. The other took about two months before it started coming back. Now they both look like they haven't missed a beat. The ages are all planted years. They were all from a 1" caliber 4 to 5 foot tall sapling.

Top Bottom