• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Anyone have one of the 2 gen ones and how do you like it. Also where can I get one. I need that and a streamlight tlr 1s
    Military Camp

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I've never used one, but I can't see why I'd use a Redi-mag, for $80, when I can get a mag coupler much cheaper, it takes up the same amount of space, but less weight. Coupler+ 2 loaded 30rounders is still less than redimag+ 2 loaded 30rounders.

Just my $0.02

superchi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I've got one with a Magpul B.A.D. and like the setup very much. I purchased mine directly from Boonie Packer as the price seems to be about the same everywhere. Although it's much more expensive than a magazine coupler, I think the benefits very much outweigh the difference of cost.

Consider these situations:
    -If a jam occurs while operating a rifle that requires the magazine to be stripped as part of a failure drill, then two coupled magazines would have to be abandoned as opposed to the one.
    -Having magazines separate of each other while on the gun instead of coupled together offers more flexibility. In regards to carrying magazines in pouches, it doesn't seem that there are many out there that can accommodate carrying coupled magazines. Also for those using dump pouches, coupled magazines can take up extra space.
    -While firing a weapon with coupled magazines, it's possible that rounds in the magazine not in the gun could walk forward and either fall out or not be seated properly causing difficulties in reloading. In a Redi-Mag, the top of the magazine is covered which prevents that from happening.
    -Since most magazine couplers use clamps or straps to couple the magazines, it's possible that binding in the spring can occur if not correctly installed introducing feed failures to an otherwise reliable magazine.

Of course these situations may only apply to those using rifles in high stress situations like duty use or competition. Also for those trying to keep weight off their rifles, the Redi-Mag might not be favorable.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've never used one, but I can't see why I'd use a Redi-mag, for $80, when I can get a mag coupler much cheaper, it takes up the same amount of space, but less weight. Coupler+ 2 loaded 30rounders is still less than redimag+ 2 loaded 30rounders.

Just my $0.02

Both have their advantages and drawbacks IMO. The big advantage that the Redi Mag has over a coupler is that with a coupler it's possible to damage the feed lips on the magazine because they're exposed. With the Redi Mag, they're covered and much safer. A minor advantage is that you don't wind up with a mag potentially blocking controls if you didn't set the coupler up right. Plus, if/when you get a chance to top your rifle off, you can throw another mag into the Redi Mag. Kind of hard to throw coupled mags into a pouch.

I'm not saying I'll ever buy one (I can reload quickly just fine from a pouch, and I don't really want the added weight and bulk hanging on my rifle.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Im set on one I ran my buddies and for me my mag changes were faster and there is alot less movement of the rifle and body to make the change. I can change them pretty quick from the pouch but with a redi mag it felt alot smoother. Im not sold on the coupler idea it leaves rounds exposed to elements and it hangs off farther than the ready mag. Also a tac reload from the second mag in the coupled bunch would be impossible to stick in your drop bag or cargo pocket unless it was a grocery sack.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I got one many years ago (early gen 2) for my patrol rifle. If I have to bail out with the rifle, I don't have to search for a spare mag. The rifle always has 60 rounds in it. I now have one on my DMR 20". Just because.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom