Venture Surplus ad

Reducing internet costs in the 'sticks' ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I used a WISP for years until recently. It wouldn't make it to my house, because of my trees, so I had my neighbor mount it to their roof and I beamed it over to my house. It was okay but didn't stream movies during peak usage times.

My FIL lives on the Rio Grande and has satellite. He doesn't complain about it and we have been over there streaming movies with no issues.
    Military Camp

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    ..... Too far from town out here for WISP, local community is 56 people.

Not sure the distance, but I've has a WISP where the tower was 12 miles away and it worked surprisingly well. There's a closer tower now and speeds are faster than they used to be. Of course when your options are limited, it's easy to be happy with slower speeds.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Not sure the distance, but I've has a WISP where the tower was 12 miles away and it worked surprisingly well. There's a closer tower now and speeds are faster than they used to be. Of course when your options are limited, it's easy to be happy with slower speeds.

About 20 miles

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    verizon is once again offering unlimited data with limits lol. 80 bucks a month. I was getting 30mbs DL when I was on it in the past.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    verizon is once again offering unlimited data with limits lol. 80 bucks a month. I was getting 30mbs DL when I was on it in the past.

I spoke with them today. After 22 gigs they may throttle your phone depending on network traffic and congestion.

After 10 gigs as a hot spot, you drop down to 3g speeds even if there is no network traffic and plenty of coverage.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    I had Hughes net for about 16 months. It was expensive, slow, and very limited. Two year contract with high early cancellation fees. Had to get on the roof and uninstall the receiver myself and ship all the equipment back, or pay for it. Never again. I'm glad we finally got DSL in our area. That was back in 2009. My BP still goes up whenever I see a Hughs net commercial on TV.

I also experienced all of this, except we only lasted six months then just paid the damn cancellation fee to get out. Good riddance.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Thanks....by their count, in Gillespie County 0.1% have access to 25mbps's :)
    5mpbs is more common. If you can handle watching TV in standard definition, that's plenty for streaming. The thing where they get you is datacaps. Of the two providers in my area, one offers a 250gb limit for $55 a month and the other is unlimited for $75 a month.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    5mpbs is more common. If you can handle watching TV in standard definition, that's plenty for streaming. The thing where they get you is datacaps. Of the two providers in my area, one offers a 250gb limit for $55 a month and the other is unlimited for $75 a month.

We've got a cap, but I'm not sure what it is. We just got a firestick so my wife is watching some stuff streaming now. When streaming, how much is 250gb? Enough to cover standard definition streaming, or does it take a whole heck of a lot more than that for moderate viewing?

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    HD video is around 2-5GB per hour. But varies a lot based on compression and algorithm used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    HD video is around 2-5GB per hour. But varies a lot based on compression and algorithm used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I don't watch 50 hours of TV a month so if we had a 250 gb cap I'd be safe. Not sure how much the missus watches though. Likely a lot more.

What about standard definition? Anyone have an idea on usage rates for that?

Top Bottom