• ...and so much more!
  • navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I'm thinking about sending off my Winchester 101 O/U 20 gauge to be re blued and the stock refinished. They don't do it anymore at the factory, and refer you to this place

Gunsmithing Services: MGW

Prices seem okay. I can have a complete reblue and the stock refinished for about $550 plus shipping. They will take all of the nicks out of the stock, and metal.

Anyone have any experience with these folks?
    Lynx Defense

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    None here. However ... Pics of the rifle as is please.

Ahem, D, it's a shotgun.:p

But yeah pics, Depending on the shape and configuration of it, I would be hesitant to refinish a 101. My father-in-law has one with the slightest bit of rust showing on the barrels, but the stock just has a few character marks and the bore is nice and bright. We're going to try some 0000 steel wool on it instead of refinishing it. I really like 101's in original condition, refinished makes them lose a bit to me.

ETA: Briley in Houston is another option, but they may be more expensive and usually have a lengthy wait.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    "I really like 101's in original condition, refinished makes them lose a bit to me."

Well that's why I go back and forth on it. I have had this gun for about 30 years, and it's seen it's share of field work, stomping through bursh and what not. I really don't mind the nicks in the stock that much, and a little faded bluing is no big deal either. But, during one period, I left it untouch for about two years, and it pick up a rust spot on the lower barrel. Not just surface rust, but a "blemish" I tried the steel wool, and that made it worse, as it too off most of the bluing in that area. Cold blue won't fix it.

DSCN1769.gif

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    You know that the answer to the question has to ultimately decided by you. That being said, if you intend to continue to use it as a shooter, a refinish would be a good idea to keep further issues from popping up and restore some of the beauty, and pride that goes along with it, of having a very nice "workin" double gun. It all depends on what your goal is. If it's to make it purty to look at, you might as well leave it untouched. If you aim to improve its condition in order to prevent futher degradation of the materials so it will provide many more years of usage and pride, then go for it.

I know, I'm not much help.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I know, I'm not much help.

Sure you are. I appreciate your comments. I really don't get out and hunt for things that really make this gun shine... quail, chcuker, woodcock and the like (although I have used it very sucessfully for early season dove), but I do want it functional, good looking and lasting. Might shoot some informal skeet or sporting clays one day.

I'm going to do it.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I'm about to send my 101's barrels out to get machined for screw in chokes, and thought about taking a few inches of the barrel also.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I'm about to send my 101's barrels out to get machined for screw in chokes, and thought about taking a few inches of the barrel also.

Where are you going to have that done? I was thinking about Briley or MGW, but I'll need to save up a bit to have the thing refinished and tubes added, it's close to $1000

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    It's not briley its somewhere back east gunsmith said its about a 3 week turn around. Cost around 150 a barrel normally but he said his prices are a lil lower on o/u or s/s due to there being 2 barrels to do then all you have to do is buy your chokes. I'll talk to the smith in a week or so and he's supposed to give me the exact price list and I'll let ya know where what and how much.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Well I just left the gunsmith and forgot to ask which company is doing it but the price is $55 a barrel plus the price of the chokes and then about $35 for shipping.

Top Bottom