• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I've got 72 cutlass I'm looking to move out to Texas when i wrap up work on it in a few weeks. What will an inspection entail on a classic car here?

It has an ls series engine swapped in it if that makes a difference.
    ARJ Defense ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Insurance, titleswap/registration, inspection.
    Not sure on the exact order but, insurance is necessary to get inspection.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    TxDMV - Out of State and Imported Vehicles

Within 30 days of bringing the vehicle to Texas, you must obtain a vehicle inspection and visit your county tax assessor-collector to title and register the vehicle. The vehicle must pass inspection before it can be registered and titled. After having it inspected, take the following to your county tax office:

• Inspection certification,
    • Proof of liability insurance meeting State of Texas minimum requirements,
    • The vehicle's odometer reading if it is less than 10 years old,
    • An original out-of-state title,
    • Proof of valid registration,
    • Proof of sales tax payment or current foreign/military ownership document,
    • Completed Form 130-U,

130-U Application for Texas Title
    • The following fees:
      • Registration fee (base fee of $50.75 for passenger vehicles and light trucks),
      • Title application fee of $28 or $33, depending on the county,
      • 6.25% vehicle sales tax,
      • Local and county fees ($5-$20),
      • $1 Insurance verification fee
      • $1 Automation fee

TxDMV - New to Texas

1. Vehicle Inspection

Have your vehicle inspected. Simply take your vehicle to a certified Texas Department of Public Safety inspection station. Many mechanic shops, oil change locations and service stations are certified by DPS as inspection stations. Bring your insurance card.
    In Texas, you must show you have insurance coverage for a minimum of $30,000 per injured person, up to a total of $60,000 for everyone injured in an accident, and $25,000 for property damage.
    2. Registration

Next, it's time to get your vehicle registration sticker and license plates. To do this, you must visit your local county tax-assessor collector office. You will need your insurance card, the inspection papers (the VI30 form from the inspection station), and proof you own the vehicle, such as the registration or title from your previous state. You can also show a current foreign/military ownership document or foreign evidence of ownership.
    Visit your local county tax office. You are not required to title your vehicle in Texas, but first-time registrants must fill out and complete Form 130-U. If you do not possess the title because it has a lien, you also must complete Form VTR-272.
    Form 130-U Form VTR-272
    The base registration fee in Texas is $50.75 plus $1 for TexasSure, the electronic insurance verification program and other Department of Public Safety initiatives, and $1 for improvements to the registration and titling computer system. So, total state registration is $52.75 but counties may add other fees to this cost. As a new resident, you also will pay sales tax-related fees required by the state's Comptroller of Public Accounts. Sales tax fees on a vehicle can be $90 or the difference between your previous state's sales tax and the Texas sales tax.
    While at the county tax assessor-collector's office be sure to ask your customer service representative to sign you up for eReminder. We'll email you when it's time to renew, and in most counties you can renew your registration online.
    Note: Active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and non-resident, full-time students attending a Texas college or university are not required to register or title their vehicles in Texas.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Per the DPS website...

Vehicles registered as "Classic" (at least 25 years old) are required to have an annual safety inspection. These types of vehicles are inspected like any passenger vehicle. Certain items of inspection, however, may or may not be required to be inspected, depending on the age of the car. (For example, seatbelts and anchorages are only required if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them.)

Here is the TxDMV website for the form: TxDMV - Downloads | Antique, Classic, Custom Vehicle or Street Rod | License Plates | Motorists | Forms

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    For my old Pontiac I did not need an inspection when I registered it for antique plates.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Insurance, titleswap/registration, inspection.
    Not sure on the exact order but, insurance is necessary to get inspection.

yeah insurance required for the inspection then the inspection was needed for registration. That is how it worked for my 05 grand prix. I tried deciphering the garbage about classic vs antique and got confused with regards to moving the toy out this way.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I tried deciphering the garbage about classic vs antique and got confused with regards to moving the toy out this way.

Basically, antique license plates are issued for cars, trucks or motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector’s item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising. The vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.

Whereas classic license plates are issued to cars that are 25 or more years old. Unlike antiques, which cannot be used for regular transportation or carry advertising, classic license plates require a vehicle to be fully registered like any other vehicle, allowing it to be operated on any roadway.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Basically, antique license plates are issued for cars, trucks or motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector’s item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising. The vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.

Whereas classic license plates are issued to cars that are 25 or more years old. Unlike antiques, which cannot be used for regular transportation or carry advertising, classic license plates require a vehicle to be fully registered like any other vehicle, allowing it to be operated on any roadway.

is there any advantage to registering it as a classic or is it just automatically registered as a classic due to its age, with an option to register as an antique?

Shitty part is I think I'm gonna have to pay to register it in georgia so I can get it legal on the road and insure it to drive it over to Texas only to pay registration again.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

I am in some car clubs that have antique cars and all of us have the plates and go through this proess. The key is when driving the car that is registered as an antique that you are doing "routine maintenance" or "club functions" to fit within the parameters. If you drive it every day to work then you will be cited.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I am in some car clubs that have antique cars and all of us have the plates and go through this proess. The key is when driving the car that is registered as an antique that you are doing "routine maintenance" or "club functions" to fit within the parameters. If you drive it every day to work then you will be cited.

Well I work from home so I may go this route. Probably drive 5 miles to Rudys or HEB twice a week and that's about it. I suppose a quick errand run to keep the suspension and tires good is "routine maintance" ... maybe

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Another quick question. Im replacing all my seatbelts with 3 point retractables front and rear. These should be significantly safer than 1972 lap belts but do I need to provide any safety documentation or part numbers since they are not factory safety equipment?

Top Bottom