Reliability and Sharpness

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by Texas1911, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I really would like to get a good knife to use as a workhorse, and I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to knives. I'm looking at a Benchmade, which I know to be a good quality company that stands behind their product, but are there better blades out there?

I'd like to get a Barrage from Benchmade. I can get it at a little over cost, which makes it somewhat affordable. I don't mind paying for a good quality knife.

2. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Benchmade folders are seperated into four "classes", Red, Blue, Black and Gold. Red box knives are made overseas and maybe not the same quality of steel found in other BM knives, kind of the "budget" Benchmade. Blue box knives are their "standard production" knives, good quality, but at what your average walmart knife shopper considers expensive. Black box knives are their "hard use" knives, marketed and designed for service use. The Gold box knives are their limited edition colectors runs, VERY pricey. Personally I stick with their blue or black box knives, there is a noticable difference in quality from the red box knives. Thebarrage is a blue box, good quality with a decent opening, but just feel a little light for a working knife to me. Have you looked at the Rift? A little pricier, but a solid knife, very easy to one hand and a good utilitarian blade shape that holds an edge very well.....

3. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Buck knives are just working man's knives whether pocket or hunting but they carry a guarantee and it you break a blade or something they will replace or repair, generally replace. they aren't too expensive.

4. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    My problem with buck is that to get one to hold an edge I usually have to spend way too much time reprofiling the blade... Had a 110 as a kid, never again. IMHO there are much better choices for not much more coin now....

5. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Oh and there are better blades out there, but not for the price. You may want to take a look at Spyderco and some of the higher end Kershaw blades as well.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'd like to hear from Fernando (TX Tactical Source) on some options as well.

7. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    I love Spyderco. I had an Endura II model for years that was always sharp and ready to go, until it went...overboard...that sucked. My personal fave from spyderco is the police model. I am waiting on it to be replaced as I managed to break it...(never let Caterpillar mechanics borrow anything).

8. TXTacticalSource

TXTacticalSource Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    DirtyD couldnt have said it better... Spyderco has some grate budget knives! But Before you look in to the Kershaw (ZT) line I would suggest to look in to RAT Cutlery. They make grate knives for the price!
    I am out of the RAT Cutlery line right now but I have a shipment coming in soon of the R3, R5, and more IZULA Kits. By the way check your mail soon... an IZULA might drop in for a visit! ;)

9. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
  10. Mate

Mate Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    For a folder - Strider SMF/SnG/PT - S30V steel, framelock made outta titanium, thick piece of G10 - very few parts, nothing to lose. The BEST warranty out of any knife maker. It's very simple - If you break it, they'll fix it, for free. If they cant fix it, then you get a new knife.

For a good fixed blade you can check out -

RAT cutlery - 1095; which is a very good carbon steel
    Strider (again) - MFS/SA-L/MT