• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I really would like to get a good knife to use as a workhorse, and I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to knives. I'm looking at a Benchmade, which I know to be a good quality company that stands behind their product, but are there better blades out there?

I'd like to get a Barrage from Benchmade. I can get it at a little over cost, which makes it somewhat affordable. I don't mind paying for a good quality knife.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Benchmade folders are seperated into four "classes", Red, Blue, Black and Gold. Red box knives are made overseas and maybe not the same quality of steel found in other BM knives, kind of the "budget" Benchmade. Blue box knives are their "standard production" knives, good quality, but at what your average walmart knife shopper considers expensive. Black box knives are their "hard use" knives, marketed and designed for service use. The Gold box knives are their limited edition colectors runs, VERY pricey. Personally I stick with their blue or black box knives, there is a noticable difference in quality from the red box knives. Thebarrage is a blue box, good quality with a decent opening, but just feel a little light for a working knife to me. Have you looked at the Rift? A little pricier, but a solid knife, very easy to one hand and a good utilitarian blade shape that holds an edge very well.....

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Buck knives are just working man's knives whether pocket or hunting but they carry a guarantee and it you break a blade or something they will replace or repair, generally replace. they aren't too expensive.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    My problem with buck is that to get one to hold an edge I usually have to spend way too much time reprofiling the blade... Had a 110 as a kid, never again. IMHO there are much better choices for not much more coin now....

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Oh and there are better blades out there, but not for the price. You may want to take a look at Spyderco and some of the higher end Kershaw blades as well.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I love Spyderco. I had an Endura II model for years that was always sharp and ready to go, until it went...overboard...that sucked. My personal fave from spyderco is the police model. I am waiting on it to be replaced as I managed to break it...(never let Caterpillar mechanics borrow anything).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    DirtyD couldnt have said it better... Spyderco has some grate budget knives! But Before you look in to the Kershaw (ZT) line I would suggest to look in to RAT Cutlery. They make grate knives for the price!
    I am out of the RAT Cutlery line right now but I have a shipment coming in soon of the R3, R5, and more IZULA Kits. By the way check your mail soon... an IZULA might drop in for a visit! ;)

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I have been carrying a Gerber Magnum LST for almost 20 years. It has stayed with me through everything from military service to household chores. It really works.

[url]http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/190[/URL]

Magnum_LST.jpg

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    For a folder - Strider SMF/SnG/PT - S30V steel, framelock made outta titanium, thick piece of G10 - very few parts, nothing to lose. The BEST warranty out of any knife maker. It's very simple - If you break it, they'll fix it, for free. If they cant fix it, then you get a new knife.

For a good fixed blade you can check out -

RAT cutlery - 1095; which is a very good carbon steel
    Strider (again) - MFS/SA-L/MT

murfdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Pearland,TX
    I really would like to get a good knife to use as a workhorse, and I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to knives. I'm looking at a Benchmade, which I know to be a good quality company that stands behind their product, but are there better blades out there?

I'd like to get a Barrage from Benchmade. I can get it at a little over cost, which makes it somewhat affordable. I don't mind paying for a good quality knife.

The Barrage is a nice choice 154cm is a nice blade holds a good edge.
    Also the axis lock is as good as it gets IMHO.Go to the benchmade web site and read about the different types of blade material.

Good Luck : Murfdog

:patriot:

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'll say that I have a Kershaw Blur that stays in my pocket as long as I'm awake. And the little K-BAR folder I got on sale for $12 is in the other side most of the time riding back up. The Blur is fast becomeing my favorite. I've also had Gerber's, I like Gerber's I think for the money they are a good thing but, I have always had a soft spot for Kershaws. My best fixed blade, my favorite folder, and the one that is at the bottom of lake Georgetown. I just like the Kershaws I like Leatherman to but that is for a different discussion.

CarbonCycles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I'd approach the problem in reverse. What do you plan to do with the knife? How proficient are you with sharpening and re-profiling a blade? This can help you narrow down what metals (or ceramics) you want in your blade. This also helps you get a better idea on what blade profile you want. Of course, all this gets thrown into the "that's sexy" and "that feels like a glove" category to round out the choices.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    CarbonCycles hit the nail on the head. Find out what you're going to use the knife for and that will pretty much answer your question.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    I keep a buck 110 on me all the time from the 70's. Thats the working man's knife.

Ahhh the good 'ol style Bucks when they made 'em strong and heavy. I still have my first folder that my dad bought me in 7th grade. Buck 112. I wore it on my belt all through high school at Crockett and Johnston High when that wass not considered an issue. Unfortunately I was a dumb kid and broke the tip off and didn't wanna get another since it was a gift from my dad, so my uncle reworked the blade, so it is a stumpy and worn a little after 30 some odd years... but still tight and works fine .:patriot:

dfcb3e04.jpg

I like the Benchmade higher quality knives, they are good, I have one of the cheaper ones and they do not hold an edge.

I also like Boker, but my everyday carry is a two blade kershaw folder, its about time I got a new knife,,,,hmmmm

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I have the Benchmade Mini Griptillian. I am happy with the knife for the most part. I love how smooth the action is the axis lock is good as well.

My only complaint is:
    1.) I don't know how to sharpen knives. Not the knifes fault just mine
    2.) I had a buddy sharpen it and while he did a good job it was not as sharp as I would have liked it.

Out the box the Benchmade was no way near as sharp as any of the Kershaw's I have owned.

Other than that I am happy with it. I do plan on buying the regular Griptillian.

Stag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Spring, TX (HoustonMetro)

If you tell me your Idea of "workhorse" and what you will be using for and your price range. How will you be carrying it? I can give you some great idea's.

Someone else recommended Striders... while they are awesome knives, (and I want one) , they are very expensive.

Here are some in the 80-140 price range.
    Off the cuff, Spyderco - Paramilitary, Military, MAnix
    Benchmade - Griptilian, 710, and Rukas
    Kershaw - cylcone, Blackout
    ZT200

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I've been a CRKT user eve since high school. Their M-16 and M21 series are excellent edc knives. I prefer the old style lawks system they used in earlier models as opposed to the newer auto lawks.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I carry a Gerber AR 3.0 Knife for everyday use. The one I have is serrated, but that's just because it was the one I picked up. It was $18 at Cabelas, and seems to be holding an edge pretty well, and I've had it for about a year now.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom