Reloading 7.62 x 39 for Bolt Rifles

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Texan-in-Training, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Texan-in-Training

Texan-in-Training Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
  2. V-Tach

V-Tach Well-Known Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    I have a CZ 527 carbine...nice little rifle. I've never handloaded for it....but the article does get one thinking....

Thanks for posting this...

3. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I like those Yugo SKS rifles with the grenade launcher. In fact, I won first and second place awards in NRA 200 yard competition with one of those rifles using steel cased ammo! The rifle was stock except for a re-rigging of the sling so it attached from the bottom instead of the side of the rifle.

I bought new brass and some 123 grain bullets to hand load for that same rifle. The YUGO has a gas shutoff valve and the plan was to shut down the gas system and to single fire the rifle with good ammo. Hurricane IKE wrecked our range in Beaumont and my house. It stopped my hopes to compete with that system.

In the steel cased ammo, the projectile is the limiting factor. In the hollow point bullets, you can put a probe pretty far down down the hollow point hole and the construction appears to be a small, stubby, metal core covered by a thin metal shell. The entire forward part of the bullet is an unsupported thin shell! That must suck for accuracy!

I just checked, and found 7.62x39 dies, 200 new Winchester brass, 200 Winchester and 200 Midway 123 grain bullets in the storage cabinet so the potential for a neat project is still there!

Keep posting, it's very interesting! Maybe you'll get me moving again............ snicker!

Flash

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017