• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Texas, where else
    I am looking for advice for reloading my 357Magnum / 38 Spec +Ps for use in a Marlin long gun with a tube type magazine. I know I have to stay away from any pointed tip bullets for fear of setting of primers in the tube but I was told by a friend today I could not use HP's either. Anyone with experience reloading handgun ammo for rifles that can offer advice on the types of bullets I can use it would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading
    Venture Surplus ad

byronw999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Grand Prairie, Texas USA!
    You need a Round Nose Flat point type bullet... I only use my Marlin 357 for cowboy shoots so I use a 158gr RNFP that I buy from this place: [url]http://www.missouribullet.com/[/URL] Always get great prices and service.. They DONT gouge on shipping... I usually get my bullets in about 3 days after ordering..

I dont see why JHPs wouldnt work.. They are basicly hollow where they would butt up against the primer in front of them... The main thing is to get the overall length right.. If your rounds are to short as in a lot of 38 then they are not gonna feed. If you dont have the original manual check the makers webite.. My Marlin manuals (have the 357 and a 45/70 and also have a 45 long colt on the way) all tell you the min/max overall length of the cartridges..

I use the same bullets and loads for my vaquero pistols and the marlin 357 rifle..

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I dont see why JHPs wouldnt work.. They are basicly hollow where they would butt up against the primer in front of them... The main thing is to get the overall length right.. If your rounds are to short as in a lot of 38 then they are not gonna feed.

All of the above ++1

Pocketfisherman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    There are some jacketed bullets that do not take well to the higher velocities a rifle barrel will generate. They fail by shedding the jacket as they pass down the barrel. This is usually only a problem with JHP's that don't also enclose the bullet base with copper. It higher velocities, the lead core of the bullet will blow right out of the jacket, leaving a bore obstruction that can be catastrophic on the next shot. Any of the reloading manuals by the bullet makers will tell you if there is a problem with any of their bullets. Some manuals that have separate rifle and pistol sections will call out using specific bullets for rifle loads. You also don't want to use plated bullets for rifles. Most, if not all, plated bullet makers have a max recommended velocity for their products that limit them to handgun usage.

I shoot a Marlin 357 lever gun, and really like the Barnes partition bullets for rifle usage.

When in doubt, consult a good loading manual for the brand of bullets in question, or contact the bullet maker for their limitations.

Hamour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    I have been using Remington 158gr Bulk hollowpoints for decades and have had no problems. They do expand quickly, so for deer I go with JSP's.

My rifle shoots .38 ammo, and .357 ammo reguardless of bullet type.

I have never pushed the envelope of the rifle to handle higher pressure loads, I let my revolvers determine max loads and the rifle handles them just fine.

158gr pills run 1850fps or so with a max load of Alliant 2400.

ForneyRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Forney, TX
    JSP are good for hunting with lever or revolver ammo.

I use 41 Mag Remington 210gr JSP or Nosler 210gr JHP. You can get 158gr (.358) versions for the 38Spl/357Mag.

I made some 357 with H110, and 38 Spl with W231 using 158gr Remington JSP. For +P, I am thinking more W231 or Power Pistol.

Now if Marlin would make the 1894FG again.

Top Bottom