• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmperez

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Austin Tx
    Hey Guys, second post here. I have been watching the forum since moving to Austin about 6 months ago, and decided to finally sign up last night.

Does anyone know of reloading classes or folks that may want to mentor? I really want to get into reloading (specifically 300 AAC) but Im terrified of the results of doing something wrong. I have been reading a lot about reloading but think it would be best to learn first hand.

Any pointers would would appreciated, thanks.
    Guns International

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Option 1 - Formal instruction from a reputable source

Go here: NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

Put a check next to: NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course

Enter your zip code and how far you'd be willing to travel.

Click Search.

Very few results will come up but you can pretty much count on getting good instruction at fair prices.

As far as I can tell, instruction in Texas is currently scheduled in Lindale, Burleson, San Angelo, Amarillo, San Antonio, and Bridgeport.

Option 2 - Formal instruction from sources less reputable

On the other hand, if you want to get screwed over, there are some firearms trainers who occasionally do reloading classes for which they are underequipped and charge outrageous prices. Search the web if you like but I won't be pointing them out for you.

Option 3 - Mentoring

Make friends here on TGT or by attending (even if you don't shoot) various sorts of rifle matches that jive with the sort of reloading you want to do. Go shooting with your new friends. Figure out which ones actually know what they're doing. Then ask for help.

------------------------------------

My opinion is that I miss the days when gun shops gave free reloading classes just to get people involved and buying components. Since that option seems to no longer exist, I suggest option 3. If you're in more of a hurry, option 1. Option 2 is viable ONLY if you have talked to former students and gotten good reports.

PS - Stop being terrified. Reloading isn't difficult to do safely. Yes, it's difficult to do perfectly, but there's simply no need to be "terrified of the results of doing something wrong". Be careful, not afraid.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Good post Ben.

I would also suggest buying a couple of reloading manuals.
    Hornady and Speer have been my favorites. Read thoroughly.

Wryknow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Austin
    There are a ton of detailed youtube videos that will walk you through every step of the process for free. The process sounds a bit intimidating but it's really quite simple. Take your time and be careful and you'll do just fine.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I didn't cover "Teach Yourself" because the OP specifically asked for classes or mentoring. However, both Vaquero and Wryknow have good points.

For folks willing to teach themselves, the steps aren't hard.

Buy a good reloading manual (or a dozen) that has a good "how-to" chapter. I'd also suggest a more advanced book like Zediker's Handloading for Competition; it goes into more detail about things that most people will decide aren't important, anyway, but at least you'll understand some of the basic issues more deeply.

Anytime you have a question, there are at least a dozen videos on Youtube showing off everything. Some of them are done by true idiots, though. You have to be able to check what you see against the basic principles found in established references.

All in all, though, I think the OP has, perhaps subconsciously, latched onto something. Having someone who knows what they're doing provide hands-on instruction will take you farther and faster more safely than any other way of learning.

tmperez

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Austin Tx
    Thanks guys. Because Im so new to the area I dont have many shooting buddies and especially guys that reload. For now I going to do some reading, and look into the NRA classes and try not to get overwhelmed. I was just kind of looking for someone that know the trade, because while teaching yourself to reload may not be overly difficult there nothing like learning from another person, especially when that person is really good at what they do.

Thanks for all the replies.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I'm just south of Austin, if you want to stop by the shop I'd be happy to give you a basic introduction to the machines and concepts. PM me if you want.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    Hey, my LGS is NRA certified for instruction and he does it free so people will reload and buy. Sadly I live in Terrell and not Austin... or not so sad, somedays not so sure.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Reloading is not a terribly dangerous thing. It does require some equipment and some study. I would highly recommend the Lyman reloading manual. You can also read the Speer and Hornaday reloading manuals. Special safety points. Always use the specified components. Always check your scale. Always trust your gut- if something does not seem right.. it probably isnt. There are many reloaders in the Austin area who can share their knowledge and skills. The Austin Rifle Club does offer classes from time to time by NRA certified instructors.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Self-taught. Bought a lot of books. Looked at a lot of videos. Sifted through the crap and just dove in. Scared to death on my first load test. Got through it with all of my fingers and body parts intact.

Believe me... if I can do it anyone can.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Austin Rifle Club has a course starting 11 Jan, but it is full. I learned from a freind who was very experienced, then reloaded on my own, always being careful and NO distractions, no TV, dogs, kids, wives, etc.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I live in South Austin, have been reloading for over 30 years, and I have everything you could possibly need to include a private range to test out the ammo. Send me a PM with your info, and I will give you a call.

John

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    ^^that's awesome. This group really brings out the good in people. I might like to take you up on your offer Governors. I'll PM you if that's ok.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    My uncle introduced me to reloading in '79. Said it was like following a recipe in a cook book.

Reloading is definitely easier than cooking -- be sure to stick to the recipe!

Top Bottom