• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I am considering ordering a reloading setup online, but I'm pretty much clueless as to what all I would need. Not to mention when it shows up how the heck I'm supposed to use it. Can anyone advise me on what the better setups are? A friend of mine pointed me to Lee Precision, but I can't really tell which unit is better (except by price...lol) than the next and why. Please help.
    Texas SOT

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    What you buy depends on what and how much you want to load. A single stage press is a good way to start. RCBS, etc. sell starter kits with a press, scale, dies, etc. and you'll need at least one reloading manual. The Lyman manual is what I started with and it does a good job of explaining things.

There are some who are partial to Lee because of the price, but I find their quality and durability slightly less than RCBS and Lyman.

If you're planning on loading pistol, you might want to look at Dillon and some of the other turret/progressive presses, but it's always better to start with a single stage until you get the basics down. Once that's done, a progressive will save you time but not money, since once you start reloading, you end up shooting more.

I still use a RCBS single stage for my rifle loads and pistol rounds for pistols I don't shoot very much. For my Bullseye guns (.45 ACP and .38 Special), I have two old Star Machine Works progressive reloaders that will load around 400 cartridges an hour. Dillon used the Star as the model for his line of presses.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Lee is a good product, its not the greatest, but it does get the job done. It really depends on how much money, you want to invest in this hobby. A good reloading book, is a must! I use a Speer, Lee's second edition is my favorite. I also have Lyman's and a few others.

For me, most of the equipment Ive bought is Lee because im on a budget and I dont reload everyday. I did buy a $100 rcbs electric scale because I feel better(safer) loading powder with a better scale. If I ran a small business and or had more money that would justify a Dillon, RCBS etc. I use a single stage Lee and a Classic turret Lee Press for my handgun and small rifle rounds.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    I run 2 Dillon 1050's one in 5.56mm an one in 7.62. Ive stopped loading 7.62 and only run the 5.56 because .308 components are just plain ridiculous to find/buy when you do find 'em. I love the 1050 and recommend it, but its not for the casual reloader. I still use the old RCBS Rock Chucker for the smaller stuff. If your ever in Dallas come on buy and I'll show you why I like my Dillon.

scb199

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    round rock
    Dillion

I love my Dillion square deal, for handgun, do not load for rifle.
    Set up is easy, good instructions come with it, and it has a lifetime warranty, fantastic customer service

atxbandit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I bought the Lee classic turret kit from Cabelas and have been happy with it. It may not be very fast but it works for me. Once everything is set and verified 150 rounds an hour is easy and 200/hr is possible. Less than $300 total for press kit, dies, caliper, and manual was great.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Just got stated and went with the Lee Classic Turret and all the upgrades I found I needed after getting set up. Even with the addition of a tumbler I have about $300 in it so far. Generally load 50 rds .45 and 50 rds 9mm in about an hour. Nice not having to patrol the three Wally World's in town looking for ammo. Now if Precision Delta would hurry the bullets I would be set for a while.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    We're all kind of shooting in the dark here, since GM.Chief has never clarified what exactly he wants to load and how many rounds he plans on loading. How about a little help, so we're not spinning our wheels. :1zhelp:

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Depends upon what you are wanting to load. For hunting rifle ammo, buy a RCBS Rockchucker kit, it will give you everything needed to load fairly small quantities of rifle ammo. If you are an accuracy nut like myself, that becomes the fun(and expensive)part. Then you get to run out and buy all kinds of toys. Electronic powder dispensors and scales, case trimmers, neck turners, seating gauges, etc....

For pistol ammo its a no brainer. Dillon Square Deal. Once you get it set up, you can crank out decent quantities of ammo and their customer service is second to none

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom