• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flat Lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Sundown
    Is there anyone in the Allen area that would be willing to reload some 7 x 61 Sharp & Hart ammunition? I have a friend that has the brass, bullets, primers, powder and dies, but has never reloaded and doesn't have a press. Any help would be appreciated.
    Military Camp

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Too far or I might consider it.

Reloading is fairly simple if you proceed cautiously. Get a few good manuals and read up on it. It is a fun hobby and for oddball calibers like that it really pays off.

I suggest Lymans #49. It covers everything you need to know.

If you decide to proceed we are here to help.

Anyways, free bump.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    There is bound to be somebody up there that can help. Like Dawico said, start reloading by studying some manuals, buy a press, and go slow. Hang out on this "reloading" section and you can learn a great deal. Good luck.

Flat Lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Sundown
    I don't think he wants to get into reloading more than just about a hundred rounds for his granddads rifle. He can't find any factory ammo for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I'd offer use of the press and manuals if you were close. Eventually, though, you'll run out of ammo and have to make more. Plus, once you've done one, it'll lead to others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Is there anyone in the Allen area that would be willing to reload some 7 x 61 Sharp & Hart ammunition? I have a friend that has the brass, bullets, primers, powder and dies, but has never reloaded and doesn't have a press. Any help would be appreciated.
    A single-stage press isn't expensive, and at (at least) $20 a pop for factory ammo in that caliber, would pay for itself in less than 10 shots.

I generally wouldn't have an issue *making* ammo - but not in an unfamiliar caliber for which I can't get any time in which to work up a safe load for a specific rifle. What powder and bullets does he even have?

Last edited:

Flat Lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Sundown
    That's what I told him as well, he is just worried about screwing up his antique rifle if he loads it himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    And it's hard for anyone else to work up a handload for a rifle we don't have access to.

Not to lecture you at all, but the reason why your friend is going to have a hard time is because reloading isn't Lego where components are just snapped together; what he needs is load development, which takes time and experimentation while keeping everyone and the rifle in one piece.

.308 Winchester for your Remmy 700? Piece of cake - come on over and I'll show you how. Reload an obsolete cartridge for an antique rifle of unknown strength correctly the very first time? Yeeow.

Hornady reloading data here (pdf) - doesn't look hard at all. Hmmm - what powder does he have, and which bullets?

Edit: Found an enthusiast's blog with pics here

Last edited:

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Has the brass been reloaded before? Trimming and sizing would be the only issue I can think of.

Like asked above, whAt powder and bullets?

BigDBasser

#OMHIWDMB
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Mesquite
    I live in Mesquite and would be willing to help if we can come together on a time. I also fish bass tournaments and will be busy on weekends until the middle of June. After that, I'm free on weekends. Week nights are OK but I'm usually in bed by 9pm (I'm older than most and need my beauty sleep}. Just let me know.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That cartridge is now referred to as the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart Super. It has a belted case, uses a bullet of 120-160 grain and powders recommended are: IMR 4350 and IMR 4831. IMR 4831 is #2 popularity with M1 Garand shooters, IMR 4895 is #1. The powder is not rare.

Normal velocity is around 3000 feet/second

This cartridge is very popular in Canada but had limited acceptance in the USA. Perhaps you could source components out of Canada easier.

Powder charges range from 60.5 to 64.5 grains depending on bullet weight.

Info from "Cartridges of The World" by Frank C Barnes 11th edition page 118.

I hope that helps!

Flash

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    That cartridge is now referred to as the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart Super. It has a belted case, uses a bullet of 120-160 grain and powders recommended are: IMR 4350 and IMR 4831. IMR 4831 is #2 popularity with M1 Garand shooters, IMR 4895 is #1. The powder is not rare.

Normal velocity is around 3000 feet/second

This cartridge is very popular in Canada but had limited acceptance in the USA. Perhaps you could source components out of Canada easier.

Powder charges range from 60.5 to 64.5 grains depending on bullet weight.

Info from "Cartridges of The World" by Frank C Barnes 11th edition page 118.

I hope that helps!

Flash

4831 in a Garand is a bad idea without a adjustable gas plug.

Jpscooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2014
    IMR 4350. Cci 250 primer. 160 Speer hot cor. My main concern is getting data from older published books when this round was more common. There isn't anything online. Anyone know of older books that can be found on amazon/ebay??

Last edited:
    Top Bottom