• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    Has anyone ever heard, read, or seen a civilian shooting that was a self defense type of scenario, that required a reload and more shooting?

I've watched all kinds of surveillance camera footage and news reports, but I've never seen a reload done. It still seems to be over in a few seconds and a few shots.

Any LEO's here chime in.
    Venture Surplus ad

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's rare, but it does happen (approximately 0.06% of the time according to this study)...

Analysis of Five Years of Armed Encounters (With Data Tables)

"For the period 1997 – 2001, reports from “The Armed Citizen” column of the NRA Journals were collected. There were 482 incidents available for inclusion in the analysis. All involved the use of firearms by private citizens in self defense or defense of others. No law enforcement related incidents were included. The database is self-selecting in that no non-positive outcomes were reported in the column...

Reloading was required in only 3 incidents. One of those involved killing an escaped lion with a .32 caliber revolver, which was eventually successful after 13 shots."

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    It's rare, but it does happen (approximately 0.06% of the time according to this study)...

"For the period 1997 – 2001, reports from “The Armed Citizen” column of the NRA Journals were collected. There were 482 incidents available for inclusion in the analysis. All involved the use of firearms by private citizens in self defense or defense of others. No law enforcement related incidents were included. The database is self-selecting in that no non-positive outcomes were reported in the column...

Reloading was required in only 3 incidents. One of those involved killing an escaped lion with a .32 caliber revolver, which was eventually successful after 13 shots."

I'm wondering if things are different today, as firearms have progressed and there are way more CCW holders today than in 1997 - 2001.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Call me crazy, but I'm carrying an extra mag.

Yep. Guns malfunction and that is a more realistic scenario than emptying a full mag. There are videos of guns jamming during a gun fight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    I've seen one video of an Asian housewife whose slide locked back on empty, but that was a three perp home invasion and even then a reload was not necessary.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/09/23/woman-shoots-at-burglars-during-home-invasion-dnt.wsb

I remember watching the that one on youtube, and thinking that it lived up to the pattern. That of the criminals running off at the first shot. With the three to one odds and her doing just about everything wrong, she could have been killed if they were not the total cowards that they were. She actually passed one of the intruders going the other way, and had her back to where he went. I think the one in the white hoodie was found outside in the driveway, dead.

It's just so amazing that with three to one odds in their favor, not one of the bad guys returned fire at all.

Last edited:

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    Not really surprising. Most people don't want on the job life threatening situations. Including criminals

Sorry sir, those nit-wits are an insult to real criminals....., or you are insulting criminals, (still trying figure out which)... :)

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.

This sort of jibes with my own experiences of life that shooting back with anything usually does it.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Call me crazy, but I'm carrying an extra mag.

If yer crazy for THAT, then you have a lotta fellow lunatics, out there, myself among them. I just FLAT refuse to lose a gunfight because I'm not carrying enough ammo to finish the fight. I might lose for OTHER reasons, but it won't be because I've run outta bullets.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Unless your opponents FIRST shot hits the sweet spot, then it doesn't matter HOW many extra mags you're carrying. First rule of a gun fight: Don't be there!

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You carry a reload for the same reason you carry to begin with.

Shit happens when you party naked.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I carried JFrames exclusively for decades. In a Barami hip grip or pocket holster, they are easy to forget you have them. On many occasions I carried two.

I figured it would be easier to re-gun than re-load if things went south.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    I carried J-Frames exclusively for decades.

Well, since you're still breathing, it appears that you did SOMETHING right. Can't argue with the results. I'D have tried another method, but there's no guarantee that it would have been as or more efficacious.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom