• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I started out on a 650. I knew I want to buy once, cry once. You can use it almost like a single stage until you feel comfortable going full progressive. I did it backwards and bought a single stage for my second press. The 650 with a case feeder cranks out pistol rounds fast. And for .223/5.56, the rounds my 650 produces are much more accurate than manufactured ammo.
    Texas SOT

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I started out on a 650. I knew I want to buy once, cry once. You can use it almost like a single stage until you feel comfortable going full progressive. I did it backwards and bought a single stage for my second press. The 650 with a case feeder cranks out pistol rounds fast. And for .223/5.56, the rounds my 650 produces are much more accurate than manufactured ammo.

With a couple of small add-on parts the 650 works just fine as a self indexing one at a time press. It's a bit harder to take a single stage and turn it into a progressive.

Everyone that says you need to start on a single stage...I have a question. Did you start driving with a Model T?

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Never had a need or desire to own a progressive I like to be in control of what’s going on when it comes to making little bombs. Over 30 years of never having a squib either. Lucky I don’t think so. Just my opinion which means diddly squat but all replies help make desicions for the beginners.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You are still in control using a progressive. It’s all connected to that little handle.

That said, unless you are loading for accuracy for .223 or want something tailor maid, or you are loading 147gr 9mm I don’t think the savings are there.

It can help when the ammo shelves start getting wiped out, but it was just about as hard to find reloading components as it was ammo. Especially primers.

So, unless you plan to have a large supply of components put back don’t expect reloading to save you when ammo supplies dry up.

With ALL THAT said, I think reloading is a great skill to have and you never know when you might decide to grab a new gun that you can save a lot by rolling your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    The two guys I shoot with(who shoot way better than me!)both have a 550(for small primer loads) and a 650 w/bullet feeder(for large primer loads).

I believe they both have single stages as well. One has a turret, too.

Personally I use a Lee classic cast and an LNL but also have a Lee turret from long ago.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have a single stage, a turret I operate as a single stage, and. progressive, all Lee.

There are advantages to buying a more expensive progressive press. But I’m a cheap skate.

I think they all have their uses. I wouldn’t want to load high volumes of 9mm on a single stage or try to crank out precision 6.5 Creed rounds on a progressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    The knowledge and ability to produce your own ammo is a worthy endeavor......
    Cost effective?
    The skill could prove to be priceless........

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Just started loading for 458 SOCOM. I can load for around 70 cents a round, compared to around $2 per round to purchase the same round. And there are a few rounds that are that way.

My 30-06 Hornady SST round that I load costs around 60 cents to load, and they sell for around $2 plus at retail. BUt my ammo is tuned to my gun. Its the only 30-06 round I've ever shot that I can shoot a quarter sized group with.

I started on a Lee C press in the 90's. And now use a Lee 4-hole turret press. I like the 4 hole, because its a die for each process. resize/deprime; powder through expanding die, (though for extreme accuracy rounds I usually use a Hornady powder trickler); bullet seating die; bullet crimping die.

I prefer loading rifle rounds due to being more cost effective, and the ability to tune my ammo to my rifle. I have a 223 round that shoots 1" groups at 300 yds. I used it to shoot prairie dogs at 200 + yds recently.

Last edited:

gemihur

chillin' like a villain
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Cave Spring, VA
    Wildcats made me do it!
    Shooting the contender made me ever conscious of pressures.
    Herrett's designs allowed me to gain performance within the constraints of 10" barrels.
    Bellm's designs allowed me to gain performance within the frames tolerances.
    JDJ's are just for self abuse in such a light rifle.
    And Reeder's are just for fun.
    handcannon.jpg

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Unless you are shooting games, 223 &9mm don't make sense. Then you need to cast or buy in bulk. Casting is safe, easy and cheaper even if you have to buy foundry lead but I would never cast for 223. for pistol, 6$/100, rifle 15$/100. I can also do jax if I want. Single stage press and still crank out all the ammo I need. My AR 308 carbine does MOA @ 200 with cast.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Not only is hand loading inexpensive (after the initial investment) it allows you to load rounds with several different amounts of powder that allows you to see what you're rifle likes and shoots most accurately. I use a single stage loader and feel better about each cartridge I load. I shrunk groups from my AR from 1.7" to .383" at 100 yds. after finding what my rifle liked. If one is reloading only to save money, it "will" save money in the long run to get a progressive, but you've got to be shooting a lot to come out on it. If you're blasting away every weekend, a progressive is what you want. If you're looking for the exact load your gun (rifle) likes for accuracy, go single stage. Just my two bits.
    :green:

Top Bottom