• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toolfreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    Allen Texas
    I have been reloading for a couple of years now and I started with 45's because I like to shoot alot and then I added 30-30, 9 mm, 223 and now 32 H&R. The whole reason I started was just to reduce the cost of ammo but as time has passed I actually enjoy reloading almost as much as I do to shoot! The process can be mundane at times but I think about every batch I create and when I go to the range I mentally take notes and then when I get home write down details about the batch in my loading log. if I like the load I may repeat it a few times but I do like to experiment at times and maybe it needs to be a little hotter or I may tame it down to get better groups. Do others just try to reduce the cost, or do you look at reloading as a separate hobby like shooting that just happens to have the side benefit of reducing the cost?
    ARJ Defense ad

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Back in the old Metalic Silhouette hobby everybody reloaded cause it was the only way to afford it. It bored the sheet right out of us Texas History Majors and made us nervous as to whether we had double dumped the powder while drinking beer and doing shooters during the tedious process. I still have nightmares.

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    I also like the reloading process as much or even more than shooting. To the point that I have “overloaded” in some calibers. That means I have loaded way more rounds than I can shoot in a reasonable time frame. Seems like when I get everything setup the focus or intensity required is kind of therapeutic for me.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep.

Handguns rounds for cheap. Most rifle rounds for precision.

Sometimes I enjoy it. Sometimes it’s work. Never saved a dime but spent a lot more time shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Considering my tool up costs, I probably have spent enough to buy case or two of 45 ACP and have loaded a total of 40 rounds I haven't shot yet. I figure I may not see a return on investment for a while but I've found learning about and starting the reloading process to be a fun hobby in and of itself.

I expect the savings will come as I load up for my Garand and pricey revolver and rifle rounds.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah, payoff really depends on what your loading. .45, .40, subsonic 9mm and a few others pay off well. Standard 9mm takes a lot more volume to create savings vs buying cheap plinking ammo.

I set up to load .45 but just don’t shoot it much. Nothing wrong with ya I g the components stashed away though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Considering my tool up costs, I probably have spent enough to buy case or two of 45 ACP and have loaded a total of 40 rounds I haven't shot yet. I figure I may not see a return on investment for a while but I've found learning about and starting the reloading process to be a fun hobby in and of itself.

I expect the savings will come as I load up for my Garand and pricey revolver and rifle rounds.
    Exactly. I load 9mm, just because it's satisfying to do 1000 rounds in a couple of days. It is cheaper with store bought components, but not much. When you shoot a fair amount of .357's, which I do, it starts making more economic sense. Add .44 mag, better, add .44 spl! Whoot! I love to shoot that round, but why it's more expensive.44 mag is weird.

Another benefit is for oddball cartridges with a lack of local supply. 6.5 Grendel is hit or miss. Just try finding 7.5x55 Swiss locally where I am. (Just had to poke you with that one.)

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Just try finding 7.5x55 Swiss locally where I am. (Just had to poke you with that one.)

Oh that's just cold. :facepalm:

44 special has intrigued me. Lots of good things to be said about it. I'm even considering a GP100 chambered in it, knowing I can roll my own for it.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Back in the old Metalic Silhouette hobby everybody reloaded cause it was the only way to afford it. It bored the sheet right out of us Texas History Majors and made us nervous as to whether we had double dumped the powder while drinking beer and doing shooters during the tedious process. I still have nightmares.
    You keep posting about you drinking while reloading. I just hope nobody reading this ever follows in your idiotic footsteps. It’s astounding to me how anyone could ever think that’s a good idea, or continue to brag about their lack of common sense in performing such an unintelligent act.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Reloading struck me as being like a brick layer laying bricks. Once you get the mud right its totally boring and repetitious. Glad some of yall are not hard to please as far as hobbies go.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    You keep posting about you drinking while reloading. I just hope nobody reading this ever follows in your idiotic footsteps. It’s astounding to me how anyone could ever think that’s a good idea, or continue to brag about their lack of common sense in performing such an unintelligent act.
    Sorry thought I posted about somebody else doing that. I only use storebought ammo nowadays. Sorry to have gave the wrong impression. I will try to act nicer in the future. Thanks.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I truly enjoy reloading. I have learned more about ballistics than I ever would have thought possible because of reloading.

Bulk, precision, money savings, stocking up, it's all there.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Reloading struck me as being like a brick layer laying bricks. Once you get the mud right its totally boring and repetitious. Glad some of yall are not hard to please as far as hobbies go.

You may be stuck in the mud but the rest of us aren't. Always another load to try in search of the magic 1 hole. And once achieved change the range and start over. It's a hobby unto itself.

Toolfreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    Allen Texas
    I can see doing 9 mm is not cost effective but I do shoot alot of 45 and 223 and 32h&r is too expensive to buy. I plan on buying a 10mm like the Glock g29 and then reloading will make sense and will be good to experiment. I use my Dillon 650 for 45 and 223 and everything else I use my rcbs. Thanks for all the replies because I wanted to see what other people say.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom