• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    my wife is going to get me a reloading press for christmas. i cant decide on which press to get, the only rounds i currently have to reload are 9mm, 45 acp, 5.56, and 7.62x51mm and i plan on getting a .50 bmg in the near future. i've been looking at a lee precision breech lock press, does anyone know if you can reload 50 bmg on a lee breech lock press?
    Military Camp

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'd just get a good all-around kit off the bat, focus on the other things that make life easier with reloading, and then get the .50 setup down the road.

You'll forget all the little things you'll need until you start loading up stuff. Good calipers, weigh scales, containers, bench, etc.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I'd just get a good all-around kit off the bat, focus on the other things that make life easier with reloading, and then get the .50 setup down the road.

You'll forget all the little things you'll need until you start loading up stuff. Good calipers, weigh scales, containers, bench, etc.

speaking of additional items can anyone recommend a good brand of caliper. should i use a digital or analog?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    speaking of additional items can anyone recommend a good brand of caliper. should i use a digital or analog?

I would opt for one digital and one analog. That way you can verify results.

All the calipers I've seen on the market seem to be the same Chinese calipers just rebranded. They are sufficient for reloading purposes.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    The Lee .50 press is the "Classic Cast" press. One of the cool things that can be done with the "Classic Cast" is to install Hornady Lock-N-Load bushings in it for the 'normal' calibers, the bushing much unscrew for the .50.

Eli

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    When it comes to reloading presses, there are mainly the "red crew" and the "blue crew". For everything but the big 50, you would hard pressed to find a reloading press better than the Dillon 550 for the rest of what you load. You can change tool heads and leave your dies set for each caliber. Granted, the upfront cost will be slightly higher,but it will pay for itself in short order. Remember, when you start reloading, you don't save money - you just shoot more.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    When it comes to reloading presses, there are mainly the "red crew" and the "blue crew". For everything but the big 50, you would hard pressed to find a reloading press better than the Dillon 550 for the rest of what you load. You can change tool heads and leave your dies set for each caliber. Granted, the upfront cost will be slightly higher,but it will pay for itself in short order. Remember, when you start reloading, you don't save money - you just shoot more.

Don't forget the green cool-aid : )

I'm personally drinking the blue. I think we can get into another argument about whether to get a 550 or 650. I have a 550, but it isn't completely progressive like the 650. Just something to think about.

It's is all good.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Lee 50 kit can be had for $175, and you can use it for smaller stuff also. If 50 bmg reloading is in the near future, that may be the way to go. If you are new to reloading, a single stage like that is the way to go anyway. You can learn on a progressive, but there is so much to watch for, it could get overwhelming. Generally, you would want a single and a progressive anyway.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Texas42 is correct about the difference between the 550 and 650, which is why I actually prefer and have 2 Square Deal B presses. You have to advance the 550 with your finger, but the SDB, which advances automatically with each round, will only load straight wall pistol ammo. I gave my oldest son a single stage press setup for rifle ammo. Since he has the press, he has to do all the loading. As they say " there is a method in the madness".

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    The problem I had with the square deal, is it wouldnt take regular dies. Since I already bought all these dies, the hornady lock n load ap caught my eye. I love my lock n load.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The Lee 50 kit can be had for $175, and you can use it for smaller stuff also. If 50 bmg reloading is in the near future, that may be the way to go. If you are new to reloading, a single stage like that is the way to go anyway. You can learn on a progressive, but there is so much to watch for, it could get overwhelming. Generally, you would want a single and a progressive anyway.

+1

K

kensbrass

I have them both and I am allways looking past the digital to find my lost analog. besides the batteries run out too fast and the thing is blinking when I need it most.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I have them both and I am allways looking past the digital to find my lost analog. besides the batteries run out too fast and the thing is blinking when I need it most.

Don't store the calipers with the batteries in them. It makes them last MUCH longer.

The_Vigilante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Far West Texas
    I would recommend getting the Lee Classic Turret press/kit. It can handle the .50BMG case (according to Lee website) and you can use it like a single stage press. It is well-built. Will allow you to produce 200 per hour once you learn how to use it proficiently.

Top Bottom