• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm becoming more and more interested in a reloading rig. Basically what I am looking for is something that is reliable, easy, and quality. I don't mind investing in something that is going to fit that bill, within reason of course.

I want something that can do 200 - 500 rounds in a single night. Initially I will do .45 and 9mm, and move onto .223 / .30-06.

If I bought jacketed bullets, primers, powder, and brass what sort of cost per 50 rounds am I looking at? I know I can collect some good brass from Red's but I want to figure worse case.
    Capitol Armory ad

TheStig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    With my single stage RCBS I can usually prep about 100 cases (sized, cleaned and ready for primer/powder/bullet) in about an hour. Right now the biggest hang up is resizing since I have a hand-lathe type Lee case trimmer. An electric like a Giraud I could probably cut that time in half. Assuming cases are already prepped I can easily get 100 cartridges done in an hour, more if I'm not measuring everything 2 or 3 times over to make sure it's perfect.

I do not reload pistol calibers, yet, or deal with more than 4 or 5 calibers so a single stage does me just fine - the Rock Chucker kit I got from RCBS has a kit addition to turn it into a progressive so I have the option to down the road.

I'm assuming you have not reloaded before so I do not recommend a progressive right off the bat. If you have I have heard nothing but great reviews on the Dillon 550B.

Here's about what one could spend on .223 reloads:
    8lbs powder - ~$90 (buy local if possible since hazmat costs are a PITA)
    5k primers - ~$120 (again buy local if possible)
    Projectiles - Found someone on a forum selling pulled SS109 bullets for about $150/1k
    I reuse my brass but Midway prices .223 cases at about $200/1k (kinda steep but just using it for an example)

With the above prices and some quick math I came up with (did not factor in cost of actual reloading equipment or re-using cases):
    ~ $.41 per completed cartridge
    ~ $20.50 per 50 cartridges
    or about $410 per 1k

I used the following conversions and costs to get the above numbers (I probably messed up something since I'm at work at 2:15AM and kinda out of it but it should get you a ballpark):
    8lbs powder = 56,000 gr at $90
    Assuming you use ~ 25 gr per cartridge
    2,240 cartridges worth of powder from 8lbs
    ~$40 - 1k completed 25 gr powder charged cartridges
    $.04 - 1 cartridge

5k primers - $120
    ~$24 per 1k primers
    $.02 - 1 cartridge

$150 - 1k projectiles
    $.15 - projectile

$200 - 1k cases
    $.20 - 1 case

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, it looks like brass is the most costly aspect of the game, but since I work at a gun range brass shouldn't be a big issue for me.

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    I just recently started reloading. I bought the Hornady Classic reloading kit (single stage) from Cabelas. So far all I reload is .40 S&W and .38 Spl. and I think 200-500 rnds a night is fairly easy to do.

I have not started .233 yet.

wbstx11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Like everyone else, I have my OPINIONS: Get a quality single stage (I have a RCBS Rock Chucker) and load with it till you learn the basics - (or turret). I also have a Lee Loadmaster, and if I could do it over again I would buy the Dillon in a heartbeat. The only reason I suggest you buy a Lee Loadmaster is if you buy mine - and I'll make a fantastic deal on this piece of ****. I think a turret press is a very smart compromise. I like the Dillon 550B. You can set up and load 500 rounds and be done quicker than you can set up a cheap progressive. Make sure what you get is cast iron, or steel. The lightweight aluminum etc. just aren't as good. Buy the accessory stuff as you need it - skip the kits. I have never needed to trim a pistol round - but I have the goodies to do it! At the current prices I wouldn't bother reloading 9 mm, I'd just buy the inexpensive new rounds with brass and save the brass! Some pistol loads (like 38 special) can easily hold 2 charges of powder and not be easily seen. For that reason, start with rifle - you shoot less, take it slow, and learn the basics.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    When I can finally afford to do so, other priorities keep getting in the way, I'll be getting into a Dillon rig. Most likely a 650.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Obama is preparing his "Executive Action" edicts to add to our misery. His antics may swing the pendulum towards reloading. I am able to buy commercial ammo pretty easily today so my reloading gear remains idle. One Obama twitch may change all of that! It's great to have a back up.

Flash

Attachments

• RELOAD SMALL 1  1-6-2013.jpg
      RELOAD SMALL 1 1-6-2013.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 196

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    I'm glad I started with the Dillon 550, loading a lot of pistol rounds a progressive is really handy

Top Bottom