Reloading Section at Walmart

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FM-793, May 1, 2009.

1. FM-793

FM-793 New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    SW Houston - Westbury
    Just came back from a week in North Central Pennsylvania on business. Went into a Super Walmart in St. Mary's, PA and decided to take a look around. I almost fell over when I saw they had a full blown reloading section. Everything - dies, powder (sold out), bullets (Hornady & Nosler in most popular flavors). They had press kits - I think it was a Rock Chucker and another RCBS. RCBS tumbler, Lyman scale and books. Prices rivaled anything I've seen on-line. Bought the Nosler guide for about $26. I was thinking about buying a bunch of the Hornardy 120 gr V-Max in 7mm, but thought better once I imagined the TSA response to finding "ammo" in my checked bag. Didn't think it was worth the effort to explain that bullets alone weren't dangerous as I was being "probed".

The guy next to me was complaining loadly that they were sold out of 150 gr .30 cal bullets. I laughed. Are you kidding? This Walmart sells bullets!

Is this new or experimental, or have there always been Walmarts that sell reloading gear?

2. Starker

Starker Active Member

Never seen that. :gotme:

Only one of our four Wal-Marts even sells firearms.

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have never seen that before. Not even when I was in West Virginia!:headscratch:

4. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    A lot of Wally Worlds in UT, WY and other states have reloading sections.
    I sure wish we had them here but from what a Wally World mgr told me, they don't want to fight the Southern Baptist down here.
    I don't know if this is true but the Southern Baptist due wield a lot of power in southern states.

5. FM-793

FM-793 New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    SW Houston - Westbury
    *Ahem* I'm Southern Baptist. Well, I was raised Catholic, so technically, I guess I'm a Batholic.

Seriously, though, most of the Southern Baptists that I know here in Houston and in East Texas shoot and hunt. Of course I could be "self-selecting" - I tend to hang out with the types that hunt and shoot.

Here in Houston, I think the issue is more likely the high concentration of anti-gun types.

6. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    FM 793 I sure don't know but I do remember when we had "BLUE LAW" and that was a southern baptist thing. Hardware items could not be sold on Sundays.
    Doesn't change the fact I sure would like to see WW selling reloading supplies. That would mean another source where components are hard to find.

7. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Our WalMart here in Graham has reloading supplies. I checked yesterday and they had about 10 cans of RE 22 and some H335 (IIRC), some bullets in stock, a few bags of new brass, reloading books, presses, etc. The old WalMart we had, did not have supplies, but when they opened the new Super Center a few years ago, they expanded the sporting goods section. They get most of their powder from Gene Sears Supply in Oklahoma.

8. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Why would Southern Baptists have problems with walmart selling reloading supplies?? I'd be fine with no hardware on sundays and or a dry county. That would take care of dwi's.

9. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    Don't think "Southern Baptists" care about gun powder being sold unless you snort it.:rofl:

10. wshbrngr

wshbrngr Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    I don't think its the Southern Batptists, and I wish Walmarts here stocked re-loading supplies. I don't see why they couldn't if they wanted too. Probably has more to do with reserving the shelf space.

I was just working in North Eastern Arkansas and I found that the walmarts out in 'the sticks' (like the whole state is not out in the sticks :tongueout: ) have reloading supplies. (Mostly RCBS stuff).

Unfortunately, they were sold out of most of the stuff I need/wanted.

I was able to buy a few boxes of hornady bullets. (.38 and a box of .45LC that I can't use, but am willing to trade)

Its hit or miss, they have 2 super-walmarts in Jonesboro, AR, one has reloading supplies and one does not.