• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FM-793

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    SW Houston - Westbury
    Just came back from a week in North Central Pennsylvania on business. Went into a Super Walmart in St. Mary's, PA and decided to take a look around. I almost fell over when I saw they had a full blown reloading section. Everything - dies, powder (sold out), bullets (Hornady & Nosler in most popular flavors). They had press kits - I think it was a Rock Chucker and another RCBS. RCBS tumbler, Lyman scale and books. Prices rivaled anything I've seen on-line. Bought the Nosler guide for about $26. I was thinking about buying a bunch of the Hornardy 120 gr V-Max in 7mm, but thought better once I imagined the TSA response to finding "ammo" in my checked bag. Didn't think it was worth the effort to explain that bullets alone weren't dangerous as I was being "probed".

The guy next to me was complaining loadly that they were sold out of 150 gr .30 cal bullets. I laughed. Are you kidding? This Walmart sells bullets!

Is this new or experimental, or have there always been Walmarts that sell reloading gear?

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    A lot of Wally Worlds in UT, WY and other states have reloading sections.
    I sure wish we had them here but from what a Wally World mgr told me, they don't want to fight the Southern Baptist down here.
    I don't know if this is true but the Southern Baptist due wield a lot of power in southern states.

FM-793

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    SW Houston - Westbury
    *Ahem* I'm Southern Baptist. Well, I was raised Catholic, so technically, I guess I'm a Batholic.

Seriously, though, most of the Southern Baptists that I know here in Houston and in East Texas shoot and hunt. Of course I could be "self-selecting" - I tend to hang out with the types that hunt and shoot.

Here in Houston, I think the issue is more likely the high concentration of anti-gun types.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    FM 793 I sure don't know but I do remember when we had "BLUE LAW" and that was a southern baptist thing. Hardware items could not be sold on Sundays.
    Doesn't change the fact I sure would like to see WW selling reloading supplies. That would mean another source where components are hard to find.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Our WalMart here in Graham has reloading supplies. I checked yesterday and they had about 10 cans of RE 22 and some H335 (IIRC), some bullets in stock, a few bags of new brass, reloading books, presses, etc. The old WalMart we had, did not have supplies, but when they opened the new Super Center a few years ago, they expanded the sporting goods section. They get most of their powder from Gene Sears Supply in Oklahoma.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Why would Southern Baptists have problems with walmart selling reloading supplies?? I'd be fine with no hardware on sundays and or a dry county. That would take care of dwi's.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Don't think "Southern Baptists" care about gun powder being sold unless you snort it.

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    I don't think its the Southern Batptists, and I wish Walmarts here stocked re-loading supplies. I don't see why they couldn't if they wanted too. Probably has more to do with reserving the shelf space.

I was just working in North Eastern Arkansas and I found that the walmarts out in 'the sticks' (like the whole state is not out in the sticks ) have reloading supplies. (Mostly RCBS stuff).

Unfortunately, they were sold out of most of the stuff I need/wanted.

I was able to buy a few boxes of hornady bullets. (.38 and a box of .45LC that I can't use, but am willing to trade)

Its hit or miss, they have 2 super-walmarts in Jonesboro, AR, one has reloading supplies and one does not.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Wow, just goes to show even Wally World managers don't know whats what in the company they work for. Who would of ever guessed (sarcasm intended)
    Man I wish these here is DFW had supplies. Just another place to look when you have already looked every place else.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've never seen reloading supplies in a Wal mart. I'm kind of jealous. . . . . . .

I do think it has more to do with the shelf space than anything.

I'm baptist. I've heard of them being against drinking and dancing, but never shooting. Seeing that I'm still a babtists. : )

I've always thought of walmart as being a PC place that somehow hasn't gotten rid of the whole firearm/hunting section or only sold single shot shotguns . . . . . . I mean, what more would any "law abiding citizen" want?. .. .. . . . . . .:banghead:

Posit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Due to an unfortunate series of events, I moved from Texas and now live in PA. Some of the Walmarts here have reloading/shooting/guns, others don't. In particular, those around large cities usually don't; those near smaller towns may or may not. I have no idea who/what is the determining factor to stock or not to stock, but have noticed many more Walmarts around here are stocking gun stuff since the demand went up... looks like its just business - stock what sells. In typical Walmart fashion, if they have what you want, its the cheapest place to buy.

Top Bottom