• ...and so much more!
  • BillW

North Ft Worth FFL
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Haslet,TX
    Scheels in The Colony had some large rifle and large rifle match today. May be gone by now, that was a couple hours ago.
    Military Camp

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    both Midway USA & Midsouth have been showing ZERO smokeless powder of any kind in stock everyday this week, the only thing they have is black powder substitutes

jwomack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Bullets have been hit or miss but generally available (except for jacketed 357 bullets, those are been nigh impossible to find).

Primers are really really difficult but not impossible. I'm on a reloading Discord server that posts notifications pretty fast. Short of setting up scripts to refresh webpages and notify me when primers are back in, this is about the fastest. I just missed out on some small pistol primers yesterday from Natchez.

I have a few thousand SPP so I'm not killing myself trying to find more, especially when I can find 9mm for not a horrible price at Academy.
    Could you please hit me up with a link for that discord server...

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Bullets have been hit or miss but generally available (except for jacketed 357 bullets, those are been nigh impossible to find).

Primers are really really difficult but not impossible. I'm on a reloading Discord server that posts notifications pretty fast. Short of setting up scripts to refresh webpages and notify me when primers are back in, this is about the fastest. I just missed out on some small pistol primers yesterday from Natchez.

I have a few thousand SPP so I'm not killing myself trying to find more, especially when I can find 9mm for not a horrible price at Academy.
    I'm on Discord as well but its a dumpster fire when there is a primer drop. The reloading group is up to 8k members now. I did manage to get two orders in to PV last week and I'm glad to say that I now have enough carry me through this panic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    FWIW I stopped by the local gun store in Athens today and he had some Large Pistol Primers for $0.10/each. $100/thousand, they had 4k. I passed.

I did get 3 Ed Brown 45 mags (8 rnd) for $29/ea.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    bench1.jpg

jwynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2021
    Bertram , Texas
    Ok i know its tough to find but i am looking at starting to reload my own 9mm and 45 . any of you that can tell me what is the best reloading gear i will need > I have never reloaded before so be gentle

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Ok i know its tough to find but i am looking at starting to reload my own 9mm and 45 . any of you that can tell me what is the best reloading gear i will need > I have never reloaded before so be gentle
    The best? Or good enough for less? First decide how much you plan to reload. I am using a single stage lee press, but I maybe load 50 to 100 rounds at a time. If you are looking to pump out a lot of rounds you'll need a progressive press.

ETA: I am still new to reloading. Maybe 6 months deep now. Lots to learn.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Main things gear wise that you'll need is a press, dies, case trimmer, case cleaner like a tumbler or ultrasonic, scale, calipers and some solid data. Of course then the components.

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    if all you are going to load is handgun ammo, I would recommend the Dillon Square Deal Press and a good digital scale.

if you want to go with a single stage press, Redding, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady offer quality equipment. if you are on a budget, a lot of people have been happy with Lee Precision

but the first thing you need is a good reloading manual (and read it), I am partial to Lyman and Speer manuals, the ABC's of Reloading is also a great source of info

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    It's a terrible time to get into reloading. Everything is scarce or horribly over priced. If you don't already have primers, I wouldn't even bother. Maybe get a lee reloading manual for some good reading material. Eventually the overseas primers will drop like a sledgehammer and things will normalize a bit.

If you're dead set on starting, think of the caliber you intend to load for and your favorite factory load in that gun. Then buy those types of bullets and some dies. You could get a small jump on reloading just by decapping/sizing some brass. Maybe tumble some too. Afterwards at least you'll have some processed brass.

That's especially useful if you are planning on loading precision rifle rounds. Sizing, trimming to length and chamfer/deburring can be very time consuming.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    A little advice for the new folks into handloading; get yourself a good, heavy duty, big bench to work off of. I got lucky and came upon a solid core school door that was 7' tall and a little over 3' wide and built some braces at a 45 degree angle from under the front to the base of the wall. This allows one to move side to side while handloading without having to go around legs! Easily found at a recycle place, etc. and cheap!
    (and if it has a ding in it, just let that side face the floor!)

jwynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2021
    Bertram , Texas
    The best? Or good enough for less? First decide how much you plan to reload. I am using a single stage lee press, but I maybe load 50 to 100 rounds at a time. If you are looking to pump out a lot of rounds you'll need a progressive press.

ETA: I am still new to reloading. Maybe 6 months deep now. Lots to learn.
    Just looking for myself not a lot just enough for personal use . I always try to buy value , not the super best or the cheapest just what works with out braking . I have no idea what manufactures are best.

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    below is a list I taylored for my son-in-laws needs, it can be adjusted to fit your individual needs, but it has almost all of the basics you would need (I am sure I forgot a few things)
    DESCRIPTIONRECOMMENDED BRANDCOMMENTSNOTES
    RELOADING MANUALSPEER, SIERRA, HORNADY, LYMANBERGER, BARNES,PICK YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCE
    RELOADING PRESSREDDING or RCBS
    DIE SETREDDING or RCBSSTAY WITH CARBIDE DIE SET ON STRAIGHT WALL HANDGUN CARTRIDGES
    SHELL HOLDERRCBS
    CASE LUB PAD & CASE LUBERCBS, REDDING, LYMAN, HORNADYI SWITCHED TO THE SPRAY LUBE
    POWDER SCALERCBS, HORNADY, LYMAN, DILLONRECOMMEND ELECTRONICSUGGEST POWDER SCALE/POWDER MEASURE COMBO
    POWDER MEASURERCBS, HORNADY, LYMANRECOMMEND ELECTRONICSUGGEST POWDER SCALE/POWDER MEASURE COMBOwipe the inside down with an anti-static dryer sheet from laundry room to prevent powder clinging
    POWDER FUNNELRCBS, REDDING, LYMAN, HORNADYWIPE FUNNEL DOWN WITH AN ANTI-STATIC WIPE TO PREVENT POWDER STATIC CLING (DRYER SHEET FROM LAUNDRY ROOM)wipe the inside down with an anti-static dryer sheet from laundry room to prevent powder clinging
    CASE LOADING BLOCKSRCBS, LYMAN
    DIGITAL CALIPERSSTARRETT, BROWN & SHARPE, RCBS, LYMAN
    CASE TRIMMERFORSTER
    CASE TRIMMER COLLETSFORSTERSIZES AS NEEDED
    CASE TRIMMER PILOTSFORSTERSIZES AS NEEDED
    CASE NECK DE-BURRING TOOLRCBS, REDDING, LYMAN, HORNADY
    Primer Flash Hole CleanerRCBS, LYMANto clean debris & tumbling media from primer flash hole
    Primer Pocket Cleaner ToolRCBS, LYMAN
    PRIMER FLIPPER TRAYRCBSNOT NEEDED IF YOU GET THE RCBS UNIVERSAL HAND PRIMER TOOL SHOWN BELOW
    PRIMING TOOLRCBS UNIVERSAL HAND PRIMING TOOLRCBS # 90201THIS UNIVERSAL PRIMING TOOL WORKS VERY GOOD, I HAVE TRIED THEM ALL AND THIS IS MY FAVORITE
    VIBRATORY CASE CLEANERRCBS, HORNADY, LYMAN, DILLONSOME PEOPLE PREFER THE ONE THAT USES STEEL PINS or THE ULTRA SONIC TYPE, I LIKE THE OLD 'SKOOL TYPE (JUST MY PREFERENCE)
    CASE CLEANER MEDIACRUSHED WALNUTSTAY AWAY FROM THE CRUSHED CORN COB, IT CLOGS UP PRIMER FLASH HOLES
    MEDIA SIFTERRCBS, LYMAN, HORNADY
    BULLET PULLERRCBS, REDDINGw/ BULLET PULLER COLLETS AS NEEDED
    STUCK CASE REMOVERRCBS, REDDINGyou will need it one day
    CASE NECK BRUSHES & HANDLESIZES AS NEEDED
    GOOD SOLID RELOADING BENCHNEED A GOOD STRONG BENCH TO HOLD PRESS, BIGGER THAN YOU ORIGINALLY THINK YOU NEED
    POWDER MEASURE STANDYOU NEED THIS ONLY IF YOU GO WITH A MECHANICAL POWDER MEASURE- NOT NEEDED IF YOU GET AN ELECTRONIC POWDER MEASURE
    SPARE DECAPPING PINSGOOD TO KEEP SPARE DECAPPING PINS FOR YOUR DIE SETS

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    That is like a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge senerio. There will be multiple opinions about whats best.

agree with the opinions thing

Redding, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Dillon and even Lee, all have quality products
    I personally am not a fan of Lee, but many people a very content with them so I will not say anything negative about them, as I have very little experience with Lee products

get the best equipment that you are happy with and falls within your budget

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom