mub2p.png

Reloading the .410 shotshell - Levi Althens

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Very cool! If I every get my 28 ga., I'll probably have to resort to hand loading for the 28. I've been hand loading handgun and rifle cartridges for about 14 yrs. so I'll have a lot of what's necessary for shotshells already.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    That looks like it will be a lot of fun for a box or two but may prove tiresome for a few hundred.
    Used MEC 600 single stage reloaders can be found for about $100.
    That's a small price to pay to be able to load a thousand or two a year rather than 100.
    If you find that you like shooting the .410 as much as I do you'll need a progressive machine to load
    the 5k or so that I shoot.
    The little gun is the most fun.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I also reload .410 (and 12 gauge) on a MEC 600jr. You have all the stuff but the reloading done by hand is a cumbersome process and I'd get bored with it real quickly!

The Mec loaders are everywhere. I bought mine new but my buddy Steve bought his 12 gauge MEC on Ebay for 1/2 of what I paid. The .410 loader is pretty expensive at $200 new but it makes shells VERY quickly. The thing I like best is that I can leave it set up, dump some powder in it when I need shells and crank out what I need in short order.

My very first metallic cartridges were done with a Lee Loader in .357 mag and .45. I graduated pretty quickly to a Rock Chucker as the Tap, Tap, Tap, got old in a hurry. I never loaded shotshells that way as I started with a Texan loader.

It is, of course, your decision but with .410 shells running about $15/box and staying at that price pretty constantly, 13 boxes of .410 3" shells paid for my $200 MEC loader! I've loaded exactly 40 boxes of .410 shells with it!. The press has paid for itself!

12 gauge is another matter. My 12 gauge reloads are identical in price to the cheap Estate 12 gauge shells at Academy. That's a hard one to justify but I do it because I enjoy it. I've still loaded 100 boxes of 12 gauge on it!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/39...ell-press-410-bore-2-1-2?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Flash

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I also reload .410 (and 12 gauge) on a MEC 600jr. You have all the stuff but the reloading done by hand is a $#@!bersome process and I'd get bored with it real quickly!

The Mec loaders are everywhere. I bought mine new but my buddy Steve bought his 12 gauge MEC on Ebay for 1/2 of what I paid. The .410 loader is pretty expensive at $200 new but it makes shells VERY quickly. The thing I like best is that I can leave it set up, dump some powder in it when I need shells and crank out what I need in short order.

I almost bought one of the 410 loaders a few months ago, but people kept telling me how hard it was to load 410. You disagree?

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I use mostly Magtech brass .410s to load. They are a little easier, because they aren't resized for reloading. A British .303 shell holder allows one to use a Lee Universal Decapping die to decap and install a new large pistol primer. With an over powder wad cut with a Harbor Freight hollow punch, the necessary powder pressure load can be done. A shot cup with the appropriate amount of shot or .375" (.38-55) bullet or 00 buck and you're in business!

If you insist on using plastic hulls, the Lane tool is also an option that doesn't need over powder and over shot wads.
    Loading some 410 with the Lane hand loading tool - YouTube

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I almost bought one of the 410 loaders a few months ago, but people kept telling me how hard it was to load 410. You disagree?

I do disagree. There are a few things that you do differently on a .410 MEC loader. I load for 3" shells only. Here's what I found:

There is a bolt on the loader vertical piece. It moves it up to the 3" shell length. You take the bolt out, set it in the higher position and tighten the bolt.

They furnish a different crimping tool for 3" shells. It's easy to install.

You move the crimp starter to the higher position for 3" shells.

I remember one more adjustment but don't recall exactly.

None of the above is needed to load 2 1/2" shells. The press comes ready to use!

The load that you choose will require the correct shot bar and powder bushing for your powder & shot needs. One bar and two bushings come with the press. There is a chart for powder & shot so it's easy to select the right stuff. Bars and bushings are cheap. Once set up, you never touch it again.

The difficulty you have with loading .410 is that the drop tube is really small and the shot can bridge (clog) in the tube. I just go slow and let the shot drop smoothly. If it doesn't, I knock on the tube. That shakes the clog loose. The crimps that the MEC 600 jr in .410 makes are simply beautiful!

Is .410 loading difficult? I don't think so! It's a little different but still easy and it makes gorgeous little shells! I loaded 1000 .410 shells and enjoyed it a lot!

I took the next step, bought an "easy stack", some plain, unprinted boxes and packed up my loads just like factory loads.

Flash

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Got myself some H-110 powder today in a trade for some lead - now all I need are wads and I can start making some shells.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That's my powder and I use that exact wad. I load 11/16 oz of shot in 3". You will find that the shot overfills the wad. No problem.

Are you loading 3" shells?

Flash

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    If you intend to do any 00, make sure you include some smaller shot to make side wall pressure. That pressure is what makes it work right with hand tool loading. I'm not sure the MEC is setup to handle anything other than shot.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    If you intend to do any 00, make sure you include some smaller shot to make side wall pressure. That pressure is what makes it work right with hand tool loading. I'm not sure the MEC is setup to handle anything other than shot.

They sell a buffer for this purpose.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I just use 7 1/2 shot which does the job and may add to the overall effectiveness of the load. Lee has a 00 mold that makes them easily enough for the intended use. Just include the weight of shot in the overall load weight.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    2-1/2" shells using 1/2 oz #9 shot.

I got 1,500 Claybuster wads at lunchtime from the new Allen Cabelas. Luckily for my wallet they only had MEC loaders in 12-ga... ;)

Top Bottom