• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Trust me.....you will not regret buying the MEC 600jr and will include the parts for 3" shells. Conversion is easy. It will come all set up for your 2 1/2" shells. You may need a powder bushing or shot bar for your specific load but you didn't specify what that was. I'll help you figure it out if you need it.

May I suggest that you check the ad. It will show a 1/2 oz shot bar and 10,11, and 12 powder bushings. There a link to the powder/powder bushings. If you need them, they may as well be coming your way. No foolin' there's nothing else to buy but your supplies. I like the "Easy Pack" gizmo because I box up my loads like factory rounds.

Flash
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I'm going to throw bout 15gr H-110, 1/2 oz load using the Claybuster wads and CCI primers - the #11 powder bushing should do fine for that (I have a good scale to check), but will likely start at the #10 bushing just for safety's sake.

I should be a millionaire by now with "all the money I'm saving loading my own" :D

Last edited:

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I've never owned a 600 but I know a couple of folks that have. They have a stellar reputation.
    I hope you have fun with the little gun, I sure do. The .410 is great for pasture clays, skeet, small critters and birds. I am up to my ears in .410's and fourten stuff. It's just great!

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It sounds like that MEC will come ready to go for your loads!

As I said a while back, the shot may clog in the tiny drop tube. I worked on some techniques to eliminate that. When dropping the shot, I slightly raise the press handle to allow the shot to fill the case. Develop a good sequence when dropping the shot and that clogging will disappear.

I went to the Dollar Store and got a baking pan to mount between the press and the table. Four bolts (supplied) hold the press down. You'll always spill some shot....It's a rule! Then I drilled a hole in the corner of the pan and plugged that with the stub of a sharpened pencil. When I'm done loading, a small paint brush gets the spillage rounded up, I pull the pencil and dump the waste. It beats stepping on those BB's! In the attached pic, you can see the pencil in the corner of the pan.

Flash

Last edited:

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I mounted my reloaders inside a tin turkey roasting pan. I'm too sloppy for a cookie sheet.
    Did you ever try the hand tool method? I've thought about finding a Lee Loader but haven't done it yet.

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Tried it a few days ago and made a single shell - it's obviously slow and the crimp isn't the prettiest, but it works; useful to know in a pinch.

Lee Loader.... yeah, crazy prices for those on eBay as well, sadly. There's one on there today starting at $75, another "Buy Me Now" at $125.... I'm not playing that game, that's why I bought the MEC.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Another suggestion you might find useful.
    Install a red plastic PC Powder baffle on your powder bottle.
    It will lessen the powder migration (leakage) from the charge bar. I think they cost about $5.00.
    They are brilliant and work so much better than the grommet, you'll be pleased.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Doing some reading on that now - it seems to be highly-regarded. Thanks for the advice, stack, I'd not heard of this gadget before :)

lchaber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2018
    Harrodsburg, Kentucky
    I know this is an OLD thread but I have questions. I recently bought a Mec 600JR Mark5 set up for 410. I will be reloading for Thompson Center Contenders. The TC handgun I have is a 45/410 model. I had the helical rifling cut out of it and new straight rifling cut in so there is no spin to the shot charge. They use them for turkeys with Heavishot. 410 Heavishot shells are outrageously expensive. So I have some Federal and Remington 3" 11/16 oz 7 1/2 shot shells. I was wondering...could I open the new shells, pour out the 7 1/2 shot, then pour in some Heavishot and recrimp them on my Mec? I don't know how much it would weigh and I simply planned to fill the case to the same level as the 7 1/2 shot was. Is this OK? Is it safe to do?

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I know this is an OLD thread but I have questions. I recently bought a Mec 600JR Mark5 set up for 410. I will be reloading for Thompson Center Contenders. The TC handgun I have is a 45/410 model. I had the helical rifling cut out of it and new straight rifling cut in so there is no spin to the shot charge. They use them for turkeys with Heavishot. 410 Heavishot shells are outrageously expensive. So I have some Federal and Remington 3" 11/16 oz 7 1/2 shot shells. I was wondering...could I open the new shells, pour out the 7 1/2 shot, then pour in some Heavishot and recrimp them on my Mec? I don't know how much it would weigh and I simply planned to fill the case to the same level as the 7 1/2 shot was. Is this OK? Is it safe to do?
    I'll say no. I'm guessing that increasing the shot weight and not lowering the powder charge will get you into potentially dangerous chamber pressures.
    EDIT: Not being familiar with "Heavi Shot" and assuming it was heavier than lead, I displayed my ignorance. So, I'll say you should weigh the equivalent loads and make sure it's not heavier.

Last edited:

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    No way in hell.

Shotshell loading is very exact. You don't change components AT ALL. Shotguns operate at very low pressures. Even something as simple as a primer change can cause a 1-2K change in pressure.

lchaber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2018
    Harrodsburg, Kentucky
    No way in hell.

Shotshell loading is very exact. You don't change components AT ALL. Shotguns operate at very low pressures. Even something as simple as a primer change can cause a 1-2K change in pressure.
    Good to know. I guess I could weigh the Hevishot to 11/16 oz, put it in the shell and add cream of wheat as a filler if needed. Maybe.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Sorry......I must agree. Don't fiddle with the shotshell recipes. I may substitute primers on occasion, but the powder, shot and wad specifications are followed exactly.

Flash

Top Bottom