• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    It is a simple thing to check and you get a coupon for the slight effort it takes.

RemBonusCode1_zpseddeee2d.png

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have an SPS that is subject to the recall. Does anyone know what is done in the recall? The SPS has a great trigger and I don't want to get it back with a 12 pound trigger pull. I have a Timney trigger that I've never installed. I'd rather install the Timney than to have them trash my rifle.

Flash

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I have an SPS that is subject to the recall. Does anyone know what is done in the recall? The SPS has a great trigger and I don't want to get it back with a 12 pound trigger pull. I have a Timney trigger that I've never installed. I'd rather install the Timney than to have them trash my rifle.

Flash

Flash, Remington will put it back to "factory specs" as far as pull weight. You might not like it. If you have a Timney, I'd go ahead and install it. I have 2 Timneys on my 700s; it's an awesome trigger.
    Bob

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The previous issue's was due to faulty adjustments being done compiled by the fact that the rifles gad to be put on fire to operate the bolt. When properly adjusted the old style works fine. As for this recall I would buy a Timney, Jewell or Shilen long before I used a newer version of the already poor Xmark.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I got my 700 SPS back from the recall after a little over one month. It was returned with a 5 pound trigger pull which is OK for me. I do NOT like extremely light trigger pulls!

Regarding the Jewell trigger replacement, I have a Timney for the 700 that I've never installed so I called Timney to ask if THAT installation would negate the need for the recall. Their reply was "NO." Timney uses the Remington standard rifle safety and their trigger would still require the service on the safety.

I pressed this question very forcefully and Remington was not generous with their information. What I discovered was that a bonding agent (spelled glue or epoxy) was on the safety where it shouldn't have been and the recall was made to clean and/or replace the safety parts.

The process included Remington sending me a prepaid shipping box and it shipped back prepaid, too. The only hitch was that the return shipment required an adult signature and the damned thing came in at 7 PM! I sandbagged the entire day waiting for that box! All things considered, it was fairly painless.

The reason that I sent the rifle in to Remington was for liability concerns. I've heard it all about "Never trust the safety" but if a rifle has a safety installed, it must work properly. If I knew the rifle needed the recall and failed to have the work done, if (God Forbid!) anything happened with the rifle, I'd be negligent. If I sold the rifle and didn't have the recall done, I may also be negligent. Besides, the recall cost me nothing. It simply made sense to do this by the book.

Flash

Last edited:

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I got my 700 SPS back from the recall after a little over one month. It was returned with a 5 pound trigger pull which is OK for me. I do NOT like extremely light trigger pulls!

Regarding the Jewell trigger replacement, I have a Timney for the 700 that I've never installed so I called Timney to ask if THAT installation would negate the need for the recall. Their reply was "NO." Timney uses the Remington standard rifle safety and their trigger would still require the service on the safety.
    I pressed this question very forcefully and Remington was not generous with their information. What I discovered was that a bonding agent (spelled glue or epoxy) was on the safety where it shouldn't have been and the recall was made to clean and/or replace the safety parts.

The process included Remington sending me a prepaid shipping box and it shipped back prepaid, too. The only hitch was that the return shipment required an adult signature and the damned thing came in at 7 PM! I sandbagged the entire day waiting for that box! All things considered, it was fairly painless.

The reason that I sent the rifle in to Remington was for liability concerns. I've heard it all about "Never trust the safety" but if a rifle has a safety installed, it must work properly. If I knew the rifle needed the recall and failed to have the work done, if (God Forbid!) anything happened with the rifle, I'd be negligent. If I sold the rifle and didn't have the recall done, I may also be negligent. Besides, the recall cost me nothing. It simply made sense to do this by the book.

Flash

The bolded part does not make sense to me.

From Timney's site:
    The second difference is that our 510 trigger comes with a trigger blocking safety; that means there's no way to move the trigger when it's on safe, so when you take it off safe the trigger stays in the same position it started from. Remember though, firearms are dangerous; there is only one way to prevent injuries with a firearm Keep It Pointed In A Safe Direction AT ALL TIMES.

Remington 700 Replacement Trigger

The R700 trigger group is a single assembly that includes the safety. Dropping the factory trigger group and replacing it with the Timeny replaces the whole shebang. I also believe that I have read that in the Remington factory trigger group the safety causes only the sear to be blocked.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The bolded part does not make sense to me.

The nice lady at Timney told me that the Remington 700 /Timney #501 that I have on my desk requires the Remington safety and the recall was still needed to clean up the Rem safety. I'm looking at my 501 Timney as I type this and that appears correct. There is no safety on that trigger assembly.

Either way, I can continue to use my Remington trigger, install the Timney, or use it in another rifle.

Flash

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Flash, I got the box but no prepaid label, :( looks like I need to call Remington tomorrow. I got my 700 used so I figure sending it to the factory for a once over, cleaning and new trigger is a bonus for me. I planned to eventually pop a Timney in it anyway, I love the one on my AR.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've watched this whole 700 thing faithfully because I've got an early 70's .243. A friend at work has one from 1979. Last year, he had a deer in his sights, flipped the safety off and without touching the trigger, the rifle went boom. He took it to a gunsmith that just told him it was filthy inside (which he admitted.) On the 700's out of the 2006+ recall zone affected also? I keep mine cleaned & lubed but it's making me nervous.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    As I understand it, the recall is for the XMark trigger, no?

In other news, not a recall but Remington finally settles class action on Walker trigger problems:

Settlement Reached in Suit Over Remington Rifles
    ST. LOUIS — Jul 8, 2014, 3:26 PM ET
    By JIM SALTER Associated Press

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...ifles-24472466 (no longer working for some reason)

"Remington has sold more than 5 million of the rifles since 1948. The lawsuit claimed that Model 700 rifles "are subject to unexpected firing without a trigger pull."

Last edited:

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Flash, I got the box but no prepaid label, :( looks like I need to call Remington tomorrow. I got my 700 used so I figure sending it to the factory for a once over, cleaning and new trigger is a bonus for me. I planned to eventually pop a Timney in it anyway, I love the one on my AR.

Watchdog, my prepaid label came in an email attachment from Remington, not with the box so you might check any emails you have received from them!

I got my 700 back in about 5 weeks. Had the factory trigger and the pull feels the same. Need to investigate some aftermarket triggers for this thing.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    As I understand it, the recall is for the XMark trigger, no?

In other news, not a recall but Remington finally settles class action on Walker trigger problems:

Settlement Reached in Suit Over Remington Rifles
    ST. LOUIS — Jul 8, 2014, 3:26 PM ET
    By JIM SALTER Associated Press

200 BadRequest

"Remington has sold more than 5 million of the rifles since 1948. The lawsuit claimed that Model 700 rifles "are subject to unexpected firing without a trigger pull."
    Yes sir - I understand the issues with the x-mark trigger, but my personal experiences go way (in years) beyond that.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Yes sir - I understand the issues with the x-mark trigger, but my personal experiences go way (in years) beyond that.
    My post was about the earlier Walker trigger. Class action settlement just reached, may or may not involve recall. I see the link isn't working. I'll try to fix it.

Not sure why the ABC link isn't working - it did the other day. Try this one: http://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...cle_c7b85da5-9ca7-5ff6-90e5-1b62ffcb67d2.html

Or this one: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/07/10/...model-700-as-part-of-class-action-settlement/

Another one: http://www.kpax.com/news/remington-reaches-settlement-of-claims-details-unclear-at-this-time/

Last edited:

jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Watford City, North Dakota
    "Remington is providing two options for consumers to participate in this recall. Owners may choose between (1) sending their rifle directly to the Remington factory for inspection, specialty cleaning and testing, or (2) choosing from the Remington Authorized Repair Centers (RARC) to have their trigger mechanism replaced with a new trigger mechanism."

Which is the better option?

Top Bottom