• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'm not clear as to why you're getting so wound up and defensive about the recall. Rifles are machines that sometimes break and need maintenance. The rifles are being recalled, repaired and the issues will be made right. It sounds like you're getting what you asked for.

Flash

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Checked my serial number. My Remington 700, wasn't on the recall list. Thanks for the info.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    What's the sense in having this thread in two places?

Maybe he meant "countless" as in we don't really know if anyone died from a faulty 700 trigger, so they can't be counted. LOL

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I saw a news special about this issue years ago. A young boy died because of this. Would following the gun safety rules have prevented it? Very likely. Did Remington deny that there was any issue at all? Yes. That is what got me. Total denial that any problem existed. Couldn't happen. The corporate American way.

papalote

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    Papalote
    OK. I understand where your coming from but they aren't recalling all 700s are they. They seem to think the old triggers are safe. I don't know all the facts but I believe some of the older issues came from people trying to "adjust" their triggers. I certainly could be wrong.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    My wife saw this special and told me to get rid of my 700 and trade it in and she would pay the difference for what ever I got, dang it, now I have to send this one in yo get fixed, oh well. At least their gonna clean it for me. Wish they woulda gave me a discount on an R1 instead of the crappy 40% off their site!

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    OK. I understand where your coming from but they aren't recalling all 700s are they. They seem to think the old triggers are safe. I don't know all the facts but I believe some of the older issues came from people trying to "adjust" their triggers. I certainly could be wrong.

Papalote, you can make it happen every time if you want to, and yes people messing with it did cause this issue to exacerbate itself, but simply getting dirt build up (and by dirt, a spec of dirt) between the connector and trigger could cause excessive space between the sear surface and connector, when you drop the safety they would slide right past each other and fire. So yes and no, it did happen with out of the box, brand new rifles.

papalote

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    Papalote
    I guess my question is, do you think the will acknowledge the older guns too. I know from first hand the 1100s have a problem. Safety blocks the trigger and does nothing to stop the hammer.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Oh sorry, go to the website and type in your serial number. I have read on other forums that peoples rifles (that are not withing the age scope mentioned are "approved" for recall).

Remington Recall

I personally would just got buy a Timney replacement drop in trigger, and have a smith put it in for you if possible. Not only do you have a safe new trigger, but the pull is going to be more crisp, with less lbs, creep, overtravel, etc..

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I recall some negative press Remington got about four or five years ago on National media. None of the report were "hit" pieces, just advising Remington rifle owners to have their trigger and safety mechanisms checked out.

Why the "flash" today? What changed?

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    What changed is Remington has accepted responsibility.

There have been 24 deaths that are directly related, over 100 injured, and 75 lawsuits filed. These were just the numbers as of a few years ago, I do not know if they have increased.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I'm not a blind fanboy for the 700; I'm sure, with over 5 million sold, that there have been individual issues. There was a successful lawsuit against Remington awhile back regarding an 870 accidental shooting. A very stupid person pulled the shotgun out of the car, muzzle pointing at his body, and shot himself. It was obviously the safety at fault. At least, that's what the lawsuit said. Remington settled. I think it's the same here...nice hit piece against Remington. The one incident used, the woman unloading her rifle and shooting her kid, could have been avoided by muzzle awareness. That's not the rifle's fault. Most shooters know this. Again, read the Remington response. Old news. I have 4 700s, and have owned or used several more. No issues, including lugging one around in Iraq for a year. But then again, I usually don't point my weapon at people, unless I'm shooting at them. The 700 shines in that regard.
    Bob

38b8556b-07c1-40ab-a36d-141fd72f2664_zps35091dc5.jpg

Last edited:

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    There have been 24 deaths that are directly related, over 100 injured, and 75 lawsuits filed.

Sounds like they applied the formula:

A : number in the field
    B : rate if failure
    C : cost of the out of court settlement

AxBxC > cost of recall

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members