Gun Zone Deals

Remain crimped brass, how much do I take off?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    i bought a small/large reamer from hornady for crimped cases, how much material do I remove? I've only done two to try them out but it seems like it takes a lot.

I don't have primers right now to test out the pockets.

Pictures two reamed and two untouched.

Also stupid autocorrect on the title haha
    Capitol Armory ad

Attachments

• IMG_1679.PNG
      IMG_1679.PNG
      57.1 KB · Views: 272
    • IMG_1678.JPG
      IMG_1678.JPG
      524.5 KB · Views: 264
    Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The second from the right looks like what the reamer should remove. I have to remove the primer crimps too. GGG NATO cases. The reamer makes a pretty big funnel but the material removed is from the thickest section of the case. When they press the crimp it also shrinks the primer seat snug against the primer. The 'crush' needs to be removed too or the primer will be a pain to start. Or gets bent. You'll see small shavings of brass from where the primer actually shaves from the primer seat edges.

With the big funnel from the reamer. The primers are super easy to seat. No shavings. I use a hand primer.

Don't forget to deburr the flash hole on the inside.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Holy crap! That one second from the right is way more than I'd do. When hand trimming, I just go enough to trim off the crimp. You can feel when it does because turning the reader gets smooth. I gave up on that and use an RCBS primer pocket swager. Way faster and more consistent.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    On the reamer picture.

Run it down until the tip of bit starts to rub against the bottom of the primer seat. Whatever funnel it makes at that point is correct.

Btw,

The threads on the reamer is the same as an archery arrow insert. If you screw one on the reamer threads. You can chuck it in a cordless drill. Then it go's quick. Smoother with less to none bit chatter marks. Hold the casing with a glove. They get hot. Cuts a better edge with little to no chatter marks. After doing a hundred cases, you'll be a pro at it. Forget that hand reaming stuff.

One of these. They're a few bucks for a pack. Wally world has them. Take the reamer with you and check the thread size of the insert. They have a couple of sizes.

841704.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: AKM

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    The second from the right looks like what the reamer should remove. I have to remove the primer crimps too. GGG NATO cases. The reamer makes a pretty big funnel but the material removed is from the thickest section of the case. When they press the crimp it also shrinks the primer seat snug against the primer. The 'crush' needs to be removed too or the primer will be a pain to start. Or gets bent. You'll see small shavings of brass from where the primer actually shaves from the primer seat edges.

With the big funnel from the reamer. The primers are super easy to seat. No shavings. I use a hand primer.

Don't forget to deburr the flash hole on the inside.

I've only really seen swaged brass before I would have thought this was taking off way too much material. I need a set of calipers so I can measure the pockets.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Went to chuck the bit in my drill and the chuck is froze up, and I busted teeth in the gear box trying to free it, great haha

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Much better, I assumed before the tool was supposed to bottom out. Bad idea.

Attachments

• IMG_1686.JPG
      IMG_1686.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 216

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I use a primer pocket uniformer tool mounted on a prep center. Works well, and much faster than a swaging tool. Only takes a couple of seconds per case.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    On the reamer picture.

Run it down until the tip of bit starts to rub against the bottom of the primer seat. Whatever funnel it makes at that point is correct.

Btw,

The threads on the reamer is the same as an archery arrow insert. If you screw one on the reamer threads. You can chuck it in a cordless drill. Then it go's quick. Smoother with less to none bit chatter marks. Hold the casing with a glove. They get hot. Cuts a better edge with little to no chatter marks. After doing a hundred cases, you'll be a pro at it. Forget that hand reaming stuff.

One of these. They're a few bucks for a pack. Wally world has them. Take the reamer with you and check the thread size of the insert. They have a couple of sizes.

View attachment 139420
    You can just chuck the reamer right into your drill too. Either the threaded part or the fatter part behind the cutter if you don't want to damage the threads.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    You can just chuck the reamer right into your drill too. Either the threaded part or the fatter part behind the cutter if you don't want to damage the threads.
    Yeah I was going to do that but my drill chuck took a dump on me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

If I had no more then 5 cases to trim the crimp. I'd still use a drill. I bought a RCBS reamer head from Gander before they closed. Didn't spend money on the handle. I had to cut more then a hundred cases. I couldn't imagine doing it by hand with a screwdriver handle. I recognised the threads from having archery stuff. I hold the cases with a piece of split leather. Then stick them to the reamer. Drill speed isn't high. Medium low. Fast enough to cut it but not fast enough I couldn't hold the case still.

Once I got into groove removing the crimps. I'm guessing I could do about 2-3 cases a minute. No rushing with a nice clean cut.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Great big second on the RCBS primer pocket swaging die. It is absolutely the fastest way to remove military brass primer crimps. Back in '74, I was making LOTS of .44 & .357 Automag brass from military 7.62 NATO brass. It is the quickest and most uniform method. And you are not cutting away any brass.

Top Bottom