• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I bought my first ,17 HMR a few weeks ago and when shooting it for the first time last week I encountered immediate failure to extract on almost every round. While I do take rods to the range, I did not have one to help remove cases for this caliber. A problem I have since remedied.

When cleaning the rifle I discovered a burr on the edge of chamber which came from dry firing the rifle.

Never dry fire or allow others to dry fire your rimfires without a spent cartridge case or snap cap in the chamber..................
    Military Camp

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    The only rimfire I've dry fired was a ruger 10/22. Fortunately it hasn't damaged it.

Ruger manual even says it’s OK.

”8. With the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, push the safety to the “off” position and pull the trigger to decock it. The rifle can be “dry fired” for practice as long as it is empty and pointed in a safe direction.”

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I bought my first ,17 HMR a few weeks ago and when shooting it for the first time last week I encountered immediate failure to extract on almost every round. While I do take rods to the range, I did not have one to help remove cases for this caliber. A problem I have since remedied.

When cleaning the rifle I discovered a burr on the edge of chamber which came from dry firing the rifle.

Never dry fire or allow others to dry fire your rimfires without a spent cartridge case or snap cap in the chamber..................
    Huh, didn‘t know that. Thanks for sharing. Probably a dumb question, but what sets the rim fire apart from the center fire re: dry fire?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Huh, didn‘t know that. Thanks for sharing. Probably a dumb question, but what sets the rim fire apart from the center fire re: dry fire?
    The rim on a rim fire is supported by the steel chamber while firing. To ensure reliable hits many times the hammer/ firing pin can contact the chamber rim if there's no case in place.

If you look at a spent rim fire case you can see where the rim is hit during firing. In front of that rim is steel.

On a center fire firearm there is nothing backing up the primer, just the case holding it there. If there's no round in the chamber the hammer/ firing pin just hits an empty hole. They can still be damaged because something is stopping the hammer/ firing pin but it is far less likely due to their design.

Top Bottom