• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Looking for opinions on the Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced 9mm.

This is the cheapest of the 1911s I was thinking about. People have recommended the other 2, but not this one. But, I'm getting nervous about spending so much money.

Even the Remington is much more than I'm used to spending.

Is this gun ok?

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    What do you want a 9mm 1911 for?

Of all the 1911 pistols the 9mm can be the hardest to get to run reliably.

I just picked up an RIA Tac II and it's giving me fits finding a load/mag combo that will run 100%.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Have you handled and fired a 1911? Even in 9mm, it's going to be big & heavy.
    As mentioned, I shot Moonpie's Pimp Daddy. I just kept shooting and shooting. That's the whole reason I want a heavy 1911 in the first place.

I'm very sensitive to recoil. Pimp Daddy is heavy enough that the only recoil I felt was directly back instead of snappy. I can handle that!

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    What do you want a 9mm 1911 for?

Of all the 1911 pistols the 9mm can be the hardest to get to run reliably.

I just picked up an RIA Tac II and it's giving me fits finding a load/mag combo that will run 100%.
    I've been wanting a 9mm for a while. But, the recoil is uncomfortable enough to make me not want to use it at the shooting range.

But Pimp Daddy was fun! I must have shot a hundred rounds through it! So, I figured I'ld get a gun that replicates that feeling.

I need a gun that weighs between 35 and 40 ounces. Heavier I can't lift. Lighter changes the recoil into uncomfortable territory.

It also needs to have a design that minimizes recoil. I have heard that some other guns do have a slide that rides inside the frame to help minimize recoil. The CZ, I think. Maybe others.

And, of course, I need to be able to rack the slide and pull back the trigger (even if I have to pull back the hammer first because I can't handle the DA trigger).

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I've been watching reviews on YT. The only complaint anyone has is the trigger. And, it's not that the trigger is bad. It's that the trigger is a little small and rattles a little according to some people. Nothing an inexpensive replacement trigger won't fix.

I've got the regular R1 in .45 and the trigger is awesome. If it didn't weigh a ton and a half at a foot long, I'd carry it daily. The trigger doesn't look tactical, it's just a piece of machined aluminum, but it's crisp and light. I wouldn't bother replacing it.

And yeah, instead of twisting or flipping, the gun shoves straight backwards when you fire it.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Being as recoil sensitive as you are, my opinion is that you pick up a full size CZ 75, or variant, in 9mm for starters. A lot of rental type ranges will have one behind the counter. And try a heavier, 147 grn. load for more of a push than a snap in recoil. Or go with a full size .45 type pistol. The full size .45 type feels more like a direct return recoil to me. Being a strictly one handed shooter, I can be extremely sensitive to the recoil, depending on platform and loading.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Being as recoil sensitive as you are, my opinion is that you pick up a full size CZ 75, or variant, in 9mm for starters. A lot of rental type ranges will have one behind the counter. And try a heavier, 147 grn. load for more of a push than a snap in recoil. Or go with a full size .45 type pistol. The full size .45 type feels more like a direct return recoil to me. Being a strictly one handed shooter, I can be extremely sensitive to the recoil, depending on platform and loading.
    I've had my eye on a CZ for a long time. But, I've never actually shot one before. I haven't seen one on any of the lists of rentals in my area. But, I'll start looking whenever I go. You never know.

A heavier load? Really? I thought that would be harder to handle.

I don't know about 45. Why not just get a heavy 9mm? I'll have to think about that one. Also, isn't .45 ammo a lot more expensive?

That would be a trip. Me with a .45!

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    For low felt, and non flippy and jumpy recoil in 9mm, the Walther P.38 is a dream to shoot. For lots of shooting I would probably go with a post 1975 P1, or any of the derivatives, like the Beretta 92.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Think of the 147gr loads as more of an abrupt push instead of the sharp snap of lighter 9mm loads. I don't like snappy guns, and the 147gr Winchester Train load is comfortable even in my LCR.

Another pistol you might like is the Browning Hi-Power type. Tisas makes a decent copy for a reasonable price....no grip safety to mess with, either.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Keep an eye out for EAA Witness pistols for rent as well. They are a CZ 75 clone. Or if you get lucky enough to find somebody with an IWI Jericho, try it. It is also a 75 clone. As with CZ, they have both steel and polymer framed models, so be sure to ask.

The 147 grn. 9mm round is a slower round, hence the push as apposed to the snap of the much faster and lighter 115 grn. round. I am very partial to a 124 grn. practice load, as I normally carry Black Hills 124 grn. JHP in my carry and house gun(s). Kind of a happy medium in recoil between 'em with the performance I'm looking for.

As for you carrying the .45. Years ago I met this young lady, mid-twenties, about 4 foot nuthin' and weighed no more than 100 pounds fully clothed and fresh outta' the pool drippin' wet that could out shoot almost everybody I knew with her full sized 1911. She said the recoil, with that gun, and the 230 grn. load was much more manageable than the 9 or 40. She did some modifications to the grip and frame to fit her tiny hands too. Don't remember everything, except that the grip panels appeared to be onionskin thin. On the topic of .45 pistols, I have a pre 2A debacle Springfield XD (m) 3.8 compact that is very flat shooting. For a polymer wonder, it is actually very pleasant to shoot.

Sure, .45 ACP ammo. is expensive. All ammo. is. Yes, overall the price per round is higher. But if you only pick one caliber, and stick with that one caliber, it becomes more manageable. Unlike some of us, that have a separate caliber for every day of the year. And sometimes, twice on Sunday for good measure. It doesn't matter which caliber that be. Just find one that works for you and practice and train with it and all will be good with the world.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom