• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Variant number depends on the action type and base model. Is it a bolt, pump, or semi-auto? (I think Remington made a pump-action .30-06, at least)

As far as tracing it, the serial number is always a good place to start. Which reminds me, I've got to trace my dad's old 700 so we can get the damn thing fixed.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Upload some pictures of it and many folks will be more than happy to help you with the questions.

(Some will be happy to help you out if you decide you don't want it also :) )

spriceprize

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Thanks for the information,actually im trying to sell it and want to know everything about it

Its in MINT condition if anyone is interested

Its a Semi and there my knowlage of firearms ends :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Its a Semi...

Identifying that basic characteristic is a good start.

...there my knowlage of firearms ends

That's not true.

I say that's not true because you are certainly capable of reading the markings on the firearm and posting what you find. (That'll tell us the model and chambering, among other things.) You also know how long you have had it so you know it must be older than a certain age. You know where you got it and can tell us about that. For example, if you bought it as a new firearm in a gun store 5 years ago, then we have a pretty good idea that it's about 5 years old. If you tell us it's been sitting in a closet the whole time since then, we'll have a pretty good guess about the condition. Combine all that with a model number (engraved on the firearm, somewhere) and the smart folks around here can probably provide you with a reasonably accurate range of values.

I assume, of course, that you're willing to do that small amount of work, at minimum, to maximize your return.

Let me help you start. Does it look like this?

750-prod_zps00ffdd9c.jpg

Or like this?

r-15_bse-prod_zps93917be3.jpg

Or like this?

remington_740_rifle_zps820cc1f0.jpg

Or like this?

DSCF0503_zps1b459df9.jpg

Or none of the above?

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That would be a model 740. When you next have access to it, read everything engraved on it and post back. Then post some good closeup pictures. We're certainly willing to help you figure out what you've got.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... want to know everything about it ...

OK, we can start with some info gleaned from those pictures.

The manufacture date is stamped in the barrel on the left side close to the Remington action. ... Blue Book of Gun Values - Firearm Serialization
    Thanks for the pointer. According to the date codes shown there, it was made in December of 1995. But there's a "94" stamped right next to that. Without trying to lock it down precisely, the rifle is about 19 years old.

Its in MINT condition if anyone is interested

Not even close. At least one obvious rust spot is visible in the pictures. It looks to be in really excellent condition but, obviously, no one can actually grade it without having it in their hands. Given the edge wear present in the first picture, I think a fair dealer might put it in the 95% category...though I've never been comfortable with those precise percentages for this use. Nevertheless, despite the fact I think they're stupid they've become the de facto standard.

Assuming there are no unseen problems, you've obviously got one fine deer rifle. Just how fine is up to you and a potential buyer to hash out.

...actually im trying to sell it...

Per the Blue Book, that model ranges from $185 to $515 in value, depending on condition. A 95% sample lists at $325.

The Blue Book is frequently behind on trends and can be completely off, depending on geography. However, this is a pretty middle-of-the-road firearm, not subject to marketplace whims of fashion. I'd consider those prices to be on the low side of reasonable but still reasonable. I also wouldn't be surprised to see it in a local gun store with a marked retail price $300 higher than what the Blue Book says; they need a little room to haggle on used guns.

The scope mounted is not bad but it's nothing special. Someone might be willing to kick in an extra $100 for the scope/mount/rings and the convenience of not having to install a new one. Then again, someone who wants top-shelf optics might consider that the scope actually *lowers* the value. Again, that's something you'd need to hash out with a potential buyer.

Bottom line, if you price it at $800 you probably won't find a buyer and if you price it at $300 you're giving it away. I don't believe it's prudent to try to call it any more closely than that based only on a few pictures.

Perhaps this gives you an idea where your expectations should begin; I hope it helped.

spriceprize

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    The reason for me getting the gun in the first place was to go hunting never actually got to go but interested in Deer,Bore and Bear hunting

Is there any better gun out there then this 7400 as i was guided to buy it at the time,i would like to be able to shoot from a far distance away

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Your rifle will shoot "from a far distance away". If by that you mean you would like to be able to take Deer, Boar, or Bear at close to medium range which I consider to be anything under 400 yds, then you've already got the rifle/cartridge/optic combination you need.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Ben, I don't think the Remington Model 8 was ever chambered in .30'06 Springfield.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben, I don't think the Remington Model 8 was ever chambered in .30'06 Springfield.
    Good point. I just posted up all the pics I could find of the higher-production semi-auto Remingtons. I should have been thinking more clearly. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Okey what dose that mean? Is it a bolt actoin modifyed 7400?
    The pictures Ben posted were of the more popular and commonly used Remington semi-automatic rifles. He was trying to help you ID your rifle. I was just pointing out that the last pic he posted was of a Remington Model 8 which was never built to fire the .30'06 cartridge. I respectfully recommend you avail yourself of a firearm and hunter safety class before venturing out in the field with your rifle.

Top Bottom