• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Anyone have experience with a Remington 700 in .308? Academy has them for $379.99. Also what is the ADL difference from the SPS Tactical? Is it a heavier barrel? I'm looking for a accurate long range rifle. From what I've read the 700 is very accurate and used by police for sniper rifles.
    Lynx Defense

Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    ADL is getting "phased out" as I understand: they've been using that designation for their bottom-line 700 for years. I've got one in 7mm Rem. Mag that has been a very reliable gun: I actually prefer the closed magazine having lived with it for a while, (less dust intrusion, etc.) and it's been a very accurate rifle as well..

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    They are fine, I have an adl 700. It is just a barebones rifle.

And yes the 700 is used a lot by snipers. But usually they get them with bull barrels. But that is a deal with more rounds down range rather than accuracy.

Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    Ya gotta realize, the 700 isn't just one gun: I have my doubts you'll find a factory ADL in the hands of any self-respecting sniper.. 700's run the gamut from the $350 ADL to guns that are basically through the roof... It's a good action, but it's sort of like saying that your chevy is the same car used in NASCAR...

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Ya gotta realize, the 700 isn't just one gun: I have my doubts you'll find a factory ADL in the hands of any self-respecting sniper.. 700's run the gamut from the $350 ADL to guns that are basically through the roof... It's a good action, but it's sort of like saying that your chevy is the same car used in NASCAR...

I've hit center mass at 500 yards no problem with it, and I'm no sharp shooter. My cousin was a marine sniper, he shot it on his range, he was fine with it, sure he's not going to Iraq with it. But he was able to do what he wanted to do accuracywise with it. In fact he liked it.
    There are other issues that would preclude it from combat use. Or a long day at the range (they get hot quick) But for long range hunting, where you're going to shoot 1-2 rounds on target. They fit what I needed.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Trust me, I know out of the box 700 is not the same set up used as a sniper. At least not for $379! I'm simply asking if its as accurate of a gun as everyone makes it seem.

Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    Trust me, I know out of the box 700 is not the same set up used as a sniper. At least not for $379! I'm simply asking if its as accurate of a gun as everyone makes it seem.
    Unless you're quite the badass, it can probably be as good as you are.. Not a thing wrong with them, I have always been impressed by just how good mine really is.

carlw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    leander
    A shooting buddy has one and we were trying to hit some ballons at approx. 600 yards.
    One shooting, the other spotting. Got real close a few times, but cheap ammo. and the less-than-stellar
    scope that came with the gun were the weak points. The gun itself was fine for the money.
    I would upgrade the scope for better distance etc. . . . But the gun is only as good as the user.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    It really depends on how much you want to shoot and how well you can shoot. The ADL is a fine way to get into a 700 action. Expect 2 MOA but it may shoot 1 MOA. After a few thousand rounds any precision rifle will need some work. Having the action glass bedded barrel replaced and triggerr touched up are the biggies. If you really get into precision shooting the gun will outshoot you untill you learn how to shoot So why burn a $500 barrel learning to shoot? Spend the money on glass. An ADL that shoots 1MOA and a Leupold mark 4 scope will beat a $1000 rifle and a junk scope every day.
    But you got to get out to the range and shoot a lot and dry fire a lot. And take classes from people who know what they are doing.

Glock20

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Austin
    epsy29, check out the target pics I posted for my Rem 700 SPS-V out of the box. Nothing changed from factory. Experimented in reload to find the rifle's preference. I was impressed with the out-of-the-box result.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/reloading/30763-reloading-308-a.html

Just now, I stuck a SightMark 25x50 scope on it. I've ordered a cheap stock and looking forward to see how that would work out.

Top Bottom