• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, I did do a little research into this subject. There is a company that for around $350, sells a bolt for the long-actions that will grab a .416 Rigby/.338 Lapua case head. Assuming you could find a place with a .338 LM chamber reamer and guage set it wouldn't be too hard. Search gunbroker for an old long action 700, buy the bolt and get a new tube reamed and you're well on your way.

Edit:
    Here is a full rifle setup.
    http://www.frontierfirearms.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_51_97&products_id=2739

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would be cautious of buying any 700 action for that kind of caliber that was not ordinarily intended for a magnum or African caliber.

Furthermore, I would not run that action in any flimsy Hogue stock. I would have it properly bedded and lug fitted to a high grade reinforced stock. Otherwise you will leave alot of accuracy, and reliability, on the table.

There's a big difference in energy between a .30-06 and a .338 Lapua.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Texas1911, I totally agree. Spend the money and get a good one like this.
    110ba.png

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models The model 110BA in their Law Enforcement series.
    Sorry, I have always prefered the Savage to the Remington, so I had to.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Whoever designed that ugly Savage has eaten too many tactical cheerios.

I was thinking something more along the lines of an M40A5 just in .338 Lapua, or an L96.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Whoever designed that ugly Savage has eaten too many tactical cheerios.

I was thinking something more along the lines of an M40A5 just in .338 Lapua, or an L96.

I agree those are good options you listed also look into the MacMillan Tac-338 or oneof the A.I. models.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Oh you guys are crazy. But then again I think Glocks are beautiful, and also my Barrett 99. Maybe I am the crazy one.

The best thing about the Savages are the accuracy and the price tag. They usually run about half the price or less than a custom rifle like you guys have mentioned and don't give up much in the accuracy department.

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    I haven't heard any reports regarding accuracy, but it is using Remington's detachable magazine system which initially had feeding problems. Presumably they have those worked out by now.

I don't believe that it's in a Hogue stock, I'm pretty sure it's HS Precision which if it fits you is a good stock.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Oh you guys are crazy. But then again I think Glocks are beautiful, and also my Barrett 99. Maybe I am the crazy one.

The best thing about the Savages are the accuracy and the price tag. They usually run about half the price or less than a custom rifle like you guys have mentioned and don't give up much in the accuracy department.

I think I'd take a Savage 10 in a Mac stock in .308 personally, that or the 700 5R model.

.338 Lapua is novelty, just burns up barrels and components faster.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way

I don't agree on the savage being just as good for the cheaper price. I've seen way too many not feed right and not shoot as tight of groups as they advertise some of their models will do.I'm not trying to start stuff but if the savage was just as good for less money the military and more law enforcement agencies would use them.

M8_Carry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Garland, TX
    Agreed, My dad is a mechanical engineer, ran the stress calculations on the load the action takes from this caliber and got numbers that concern him about this combination.

I would be cautious of buying any 700 action for that kind of caliber that was not ordinarily intended for a magnum or African caliber.

Furthermore, I would not run that action in any flimsy Hogue stock. I would have it properly bedded and lug fitted to a high grade reinforced stock. Otherwise you will leave alot of accuracy, and reliability, on the table.

There's a big difference in energy between a .30-06 and a .338 Lapua.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Agreed, My dad is a mechanical engineer, ran the stress calculations on the load the action takes from this caliber and got numbers that concern him about this combination.

Exactly, there is a reason for cross bolts and enlarged bolt lock-up area. There is a mountain of shear load on the 2 locking lugs in the action itself, and the problem is that the load is an impact load.

The Germans even included a third safety lug on the 98 action (that Remington copied mind you) for the 8mm Mauser round, which is significantly weaker than .338 Lapua.

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    .338 Lapua is novelty, just burns up barrels and components faster.

You know of many other cartridges that can get you to 1800+? For some yokel who only has access to ranges that max at a few hundred yards I agree with you. But there are real benefits to .338 LM beyond one thousand(which admittedly few will ever shoot.) But for instance I plan on taking some courses over the next two years at Jim Smith's place up near Dallas which has ranges out to 2000m.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I hand;ed the Remington 700 in 338 Lap at ShotShow. FWIW it felt good.

On Snipers Hide the Remington 700 in .338 had accuracy issues in its previous versions. Don't know the truth of that and its hearsay of the rankest nature, but its what I read over there.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You know of many other cartridges that can get you to 1800+? For some yokel who only has access to ranges that max at a few hundred yards I agree with you. But there are real benefits to .338 LM beyond one thousand(which admittedly few will ever shoot.) But for instance I plan on taking some courses over the next two years at Jim Smith's place up near Dallas which has ranges out to 2000m.
    I have to agree with Texas1911 here. Have you checked the prices of 338 Lapua ammo compared to 50 BMG? Plus the 50 cal bullet selection is way better as well. The 338 Lapua has smaller cartridges beat, but if you want to go way better and cheaper look at the 50.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Can you name a single place in Texas where you can shoot beyond 1000 yards?

I'm more or less making a validity argument rather than what .338 is on the books. Honestly speaking, I'd rather be shooting a .416 Barrett if I am doing that kind of range.

Top Bottom