Remington 700 accidental discharge

just jk

TGT Addict
Feb 27, 2011
dee eff dub
so my son and i went deer hunting this weekend in Nebraska. A couple of years ago I gave him my Remington 700 in .270 - this was his first hunting trip with the rifle. he had taken it to the range to zero it and there were no problems. I certainly never had any when I used it.

he got a nice buck on the second morning - and we're all back up where our vehicles were parked, and he's unloading the rifle. he had chambered another round while he was sitting in the blind - hoping he might get a 2d shot while he waited for everybody else.

The gun was on safe - and he couldnt slide the bolt back - so he moved the selector to fire - and the firing pin fell and the gun went off - thankfully he had it pointed away from everybody and at the ground but it scared the daylights out of me

the selector button/knob pinched his thumb pretty good and took a chunk of skin as a souvenir.

so he googles this and finds a message board discussion where Remington has had a problem with some of their 700's doing this - he called their customer service # yesterday morning on the way home - and they immediately told him they were sending a box and a UPS label for him to send the gun in - they sure didnt question it much - so my guess is this is a known problem with the 700

anybody else hear of this or have this experience? i was impressed with Remington's quick response - wonder how long it will take them to get the rifle back to him

rgwalt

Jan 27, 2013
Houston Heights
I haven't heard of this exact problem, but I have heard of similar issues with older 700's. I believe it was related to the trigger group. Do you know the age of your son's gun? Did the trigger have any work done on it? From your description, it sounds like the trigger was engaged while the safety was on, and as soon as it was taken off, the trigger mechanism released. The new X-Mark triggers are supposed to eliminate this issue. Of course, people complain about the trigger being crappy.

just jk

TGT Addict
Feb 27, 2011
dee eff dub
his finger was NOT on the trigger - another of our hunting party was standing right next to him watching- and after the gun discharged - he froze and thats the first thing i noticed was 'where is his hand" - it was clearly above the bolt

i bought the gun used, i'm not sure how old it is but it's definitely not new. i dont think its had any work done on it - but i couldnt swear to that

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
Very happy to hear that safe gun handling prevented any injuries, or worse. Also happy to hear that Remington will take care of the problem.

A buddy of mine and I had an accidental discharge on an old bolt-action shotgun we were trying to fix this past weekend. Scary stuff when a gun fires without pulling the trigger.

bptactical

BANNED!!!
Feb 8, 2013
CO
Known issue, especially suspect is a used rifle of unknown history.
You send the rifle back to Remington and you will get back a rifle with a stock Remington trigger that doesn't cure the problem permanently.
Factory Remmy safeties only block the trigger, the sear is still free to move. Add years of dirt, a bubba'd trigger job or any other amount of variables and you have a disaster waiting to happen.
Hang a Timney, Jard or such that the safety blocks the sear.
Problem solved.

Top Bottom