• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    so my son and i went deer hunting this weekend in Nebraska. A couple of years ago I gave him my Remington 700 in .270 - this was his first hunting trip with the rifle. he had taken it to the range to zero it and there were no problems. I certainly never had any when I used it.

he got a nice buck on the second morning - and we're all back up where our vehicles were parked, and he's unloading the rifle. he had chambered another round while he was sitting in the blind - hoping he might get a 2d shot while he waited for everybody else.

The gun was on safe - and he couldnt slide the bolt back - so he moved the selector to fire - and the firing pin fell and the gun went off - thankfully he had it pointed away from everybody and at the ground but it scared the daylights out of me

the selector button/knob pinched his thumb pretty good and took a chunk of skin as a souvenir.

so he googles this and finds a message board discussion where Remington has had a problem with some of their 700's doing this - he called their customer service # yesterday morning on the way home - and they immediately told him they were sending a box and a UPS label for him to send the gun in - they sure didnt question it much - so my guess is this is a known problem with the 700

anybody else hear of this or have this experience? i was impressed with Remington's quick response - wonder how long it will take them to get the rifle back to him

Who did the trigger job on it? Go kick that dude in the junk, install new factory trigger components and leave it alone.

Bulldog7906

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    San Antonio
    How old is the rifle? My dad has an older 700 BDL in 7mm Mag, made in the 1970s. He had the same thing happen. He sent the gun back to Remington and they swapped out the safety with the new one that allows you to open bolt on safe. This happened back in early 1990s.

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends." John 15:13 NKJV

Top Bottom