• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    Academy is selling Remington 700 ADLs for $350 and Weatherby VG1s for $400. Now I know that the ADL is not a BDL, and I know that the VG1 is made by Howa. Beyond that, how do these rifles stack up against one another? The Weatherby guarantees 1.5" or better at 100 yds.

The 700 has a long reputation as a good piece, and Weatherbys in general have a good rep - but what's this low-cost Weatherby? Are they selling out the name to generate sales? I'd rather go with the known-good 700 than an unknown. How long has the VG1 been around?

I've been doing some googling on it, but how about personal knowledge from my fellow Texans?

Thanks!

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    It's a big deal to do with the name. However, the vanguards are good rifles. There's nothing wrong with them.
    The accuracy guarantee isn't a really great claim. I can guarantee that if you buy a stevens model 200 for $250, mount it in a lead sled and fire it with a specified type of ammo, it will shoot 1.5" as well at 100 yards.
    The Remington 700 is a time and battle proven action and will produce the same accuracy as the Weatherby can.
    If you can't tell by now, I would go for the Remington. I've owned a few vanguards and they were good rifles, but I was never more impressed with them than I was with my 700's.
    And if you do decide to want a BDL more than the ADL, set $75 aside and buy a BDL stock, trigger guard and magazine box.

As well, the 700's are American made. Weatherby hasn't been able to say that for a while.

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    Wow, I thought this would ignite a mini-firestorm of comments from people loyal to one brand or the other. Obviously not.

Dobarker, my own feelings are in sync with yours. The 700 has an extensive history and there are many knowledgeable gunsmiths with 700 experience, and if I ever want to change something, even as simple as a stock, there are many more options with a 700. I was just surprised to see Weatherbys for only $50 more, hence my question.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The Remington 700 is a good quality rifle and they've made an incredible number of them over the years. I had a BDL (nicer) version and it was a beautiful rifle, but I had a lot of problems with it. Sometimes it would go off when you clicked off the safety. Very bad! A gunsmith dug around in it and found a burr that seemed to be the cause. Then, it would 'walk' as the barrel heated up. Glass bedding fixed that. I had other rifles that shot better, so during a particularly hard time, I sold it. I have to admit that it taints my view a bit.

I only know a few guys with Weatherby's, but they love them. My understanding is that the VG1 is made by Howa, but is to Weatherby specs.

Both are good rifles and both are priced very well for the quality that they will no doubt deliver. The Weatherby might be worth the slightly higher price, so if it was me, I'd check them out in the store and see which one fit better.

Top Bottom