• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKUMike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2019
    Sugar Land
    Remington 700 ADL Tactical.

I know it was (is) a Dicks special. I can get my hands on one for a decent price from a friend ($300 - 6.5 CM or .308, my choice).

Opinions on this?

Would be used to get into long range shooting and occasional hunting (deer, hogs).

Or are there some better options in the budget range? I have read quite a bit, but looking for some confirmation. I had also been eyeing the TC Compass or Savage Axis (1 & 2). Been browsing the forum for a while but figured it was time to jump on in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    For $300 I'd jump on it, like a duck on June bug!

Just the action alone is worth $300. The model 700 has some of the best support in the aftermarket for parts and accessories. It is one of the more popular platforms for all types of custom built rifles of types, from hunting, tactical, and long target shooting

The other rifles you mentioned, are decent rifles, but are entry-level rifles with none of the aftermarket support the model 700 has.

Personally, I'd go with the 6.5. I like and own a 308. But if you plan on longer range shooting, the 6.5 would be better suited, plus it's still very good hunting round as well.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

I know it was (is) a Dicks special. I can get my hands on one for a decent price from a friend ($300 - 6.5 CM or .308, my choice).

Opinions on this?

Would be used to get into long range shooting and occasional hunting (deer, hogs).

Or are there some better options in the budget range? I have read quite a bit, but looking for some confirmation. I had also been eyeing the TC Compass or Savage Axis (1 & 2). Been browsing the forum for a while but figured it was time to jump on in.

Welcome to the forum.

IMHO, that is a spectacular price for either rifle.

JKUMike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2019
    Sugar Land

Just the action alone is worth $300. The model 700 has some of the best support in the aftermarket for parts and accessories. It is one of the more popular platforms for all types of custom built rifles of types, from hunting, tactical, and long target shooting

The other rifles you mentioned, are decent rifles, but are entry-level rifles with none of the aftermarket support the model 700 has.

Personally, I'd go with the 6.5. I like and own a 308. But if you plan on longer range shooting, the 6.5 would be better suited, plus it's still very good hunting round as well.

That’s what I was thinking. My kids will probably use it as well and figured the 6.5 would be a more recoil friendly for them. With the threaded barrel there is always the option of adding a little help in that department as well.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    That’s what I was thinking. My kids will probably use it as well and figured the 6.5 would be a more recoil friendly for them. With the threaded barrel there is always the option of adding a little help in that department as well.

Quite true. You just have more options with 700 platform than the other brand of rifles.

just country

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning, good choice, except of the caliber. I prefer a tried
    and true caliber. the .308 had one for many years. been
    around since after WWII. more bullet weights than
    most other calibers. I do not have ill feelings
    for the 6.5creedmore. much prefer a rem. in
    260 caliber. justme gbot

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Welcome to the Forum!

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Not a Remington fan at all and though that’s a good deal I believe the other two will out shoot it if you’re looking for great accuracy without messing with it.

JKUMike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2019
    Sugar Land
    Buy both, problem solved.

I did ask about it but he’s keeping one. It’s an extra for him so he’s indifferent about the caliber. That was my first thought . . . Shortly followed by how to explain it to the wifey.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    No need to explain just bring it in when she is not home. Or empty case leaves the house case with rifle comes back in. Just a couple of options. Or just straight up walk in with it like a boss.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Opinions on this?

Grab the 700 in 6.5 CM and run. That's a good price for a decent rifle.

There is a ton of aftermarket support for the platform if you want to upgrade.

Remington QC hasn't been impressive lately but they have decent customer support if you do have an issue.

If you were paying new prices my opinion would be much different.

JKUMike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2019
    Sugar Land
    No need to explain just bring it in when she is not home. Or empty case leaves the house case with rifle comes back in. Just a couple of options. Or just straight up walk in with it like a boss.

dd2489c5512ec6b8f424490d1d5bf401.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• dd2489c5512ec6b8f424490d1d5bf401.jpg
      dd2489c5512ec6b8f424490d1d5bf401.jpg
      69.5 KB · Views: 342
    Top Bottom