• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    People use bolt actions all the time over semi auto platform...all of them have their reason.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Well I get that but a bolt action pistol?? I mean get one if you want one but I have an AR Pistol in 9mm and 300blk (notice I didn't say 5.56) for SD in close quarters because the ATF has made it ridiculous to get a SBR. What are you gonna use the bolt action pistol for?
    DK Firearms

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well I get that but a bolt action pistol?? I mean get one if you want one but I have an AR Pistol in 9mm and 300blk (notice I didn't say 5.56) for SD in close quarters because the ATF has made it ridiculous to get a SBR. What are you gonna use the bolt action pistol for?

Competition. Hunting. Target shooting.

Same things you can use any other pistol for.

Doesn’t have to make sense to everyone. Has to make enough sense to turn a profit. Apparently it does.

johnericmccorkle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2018
    US
    Everything I use my bolt action rifle for, hunting plinking teaching my kids to shoot...rabbit squirrel deer crow... coyote I dunno whatever gets in my sights...not many pigs in my neck of Louisiana woods but in Texas where I work there are.

It's shorter so easier to transport but would be just as accurate. Guys have been using encore pistols for years and years...rem xp100s too. Tens of thousands of deer, antelope, hogs, elk, moose, bear and you name it in North America have been taken with pistols chambered in rifle calibers not to mention the Safari and exotic hunters.

I do plan to out on a brace to make it more practical but it will be a nice addition

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    So when...did those become popular...?
    I think when Sig and SB initially found a work around from the ATF is when they started taking off.
    :)

No. Way before that.

Merrill and T/C were selling plenty of .30-30 pistols in the mid-to-late 1960s. By the late 1970s, custom bolt pistols chambered for centerfire rifle cartridges were all over the place. Remington, Wichita, and Weatherby were producing factory pistols. Kelbly, Shilen and many others were producing actions for bolt pistols. Somewhat later Savage, H-S Precision, and others got some traction. I've probably forgotten many others.

I got my first .308 pistol ~1980 and I was way late to the party.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

No. Way before that.

Merrill and T/C were selling plenty of .30-30 pistols in the mid-to-late 1960s. By the late 1970s, custom bolt pistols chambered for centerfire rifle cartridges were all over the place. Remington, Wichita, and Weatherby were producing factory pistols. Kelbly, Shilen and many others were producing actions for bolt pistols. Somewhat later Savage, H-S Precision, and others got some traction. I've probably forgotten many others.

When my father was given the TC I posted about earlier, I forgot to mention that he was also given a .222 barrel.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013

No. Way before that.

I guess I hang in the wrong circle of shooters. I am thinking I would rather have a bolt action rifle with a scope to hunt to do long range target practice or a .22 to plink at the range. I saw them sitting on tables at gun shows in the 80's and they did not seem popular. I maybe saw more ar15 pistols with the buffer tube and was thinking, WTF.
    Sure, you can get a 3rd point of contact with a buffer tube but the brace makes a big difference. I even have a 556P in the safe where you use the sling as a stock and it works well enough but not as well as a 100yard shot with a braced AR pistol.
    We all know why the brace came about, I just don't see the reason for a bolt action pistol but like I said, buy them up, Remington certainly needs help.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I saw them sitting on tables at gun shows in the 80's and they did not seem popular.
    Second-hand custom bolt pistols are like second-hand custom bolt rifles. Only the person who originally spec'd it cares about it and will pay for it. For resale, they're worth the price of the action and, maybe, the trigger.

When you have all the custom bolt action rifles and pistols I do, that's a sobering thought.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've seen a couple on the gun racks at Cabelas. High custom with a super heavy profile barrel. If you saw it on a bench at a competition. It looks expensive and of course is.

Then you see it on a rack and heavily wonder why they got rid of it. Worn out throat and bore is my first thought. Plus the discount price of a multi thousand dollar rifle is a bit of a turn off.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Second-hand custom bolt pistols are like second-hand custom bolt rifles. Only the person who originally spec'd it cares about it and will pay for it. For resale, they're worth the price of the action and, maybe, the trigger.

When you have all the custom bolt action rifles and pistols I do, that's a sobering thought.

exactly why I don't take trades on most "custom" guns......better to just say no thanks than risk insulting them with a realistic offer......

johnericmccorkle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2018
    US
    I guess I hang in the wrong circle of shooters. I am thinking I would rather have a bolt action rifle with a scope to hunt to do long range target practice or a .22 to plink at the range. I saw them sitting on tables at gun shows in the 80's and they did not seem popular. I maybe saw more ar15 pistols with the buffer tube and was thinking, WTF.
    Sure, you can get a 3rd point of contact with a buffer tube but the brace makes a big difference. I even have a 556P in the safe where you use the sling as a stock and it works well enough but not as well as a 100yard shot with a braced AR pistol.
    We all know why the brace came about, I just don't see the reason for a bolt action pistol but like I said, buy them up, Remington certainly needs help.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    I think if I had the choice to buy and use one gun for all of the above and just change ammo I'd rather have the one gun and get really really familiar...I load small cast bullets to near 22 lr velocities...makes 300 blk super super versitile but those won't cycle a semi AR...but bolt guns eat them up. I think that, the added reliability, the durability and ease of use, the additional quietness with a can (bolt action 300 blk are silly quiet) I guess the same argument can be made about why people chose bolt actions at all when you can get an AR in most everything now a days...bolt guns have specific benefits over semi autos and alot of people find that value enough to get them all the time

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Remington has been making pistols for a while. They were the hot thing back in the late 70s for IHMSA silhouette shooting when I competed. There were a bunch of wildcat calibers people made them in.

Top Bottom