• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    12.5 Inch...........will post pics Tuesday when it comes in.......the SBA3 brace will come after Christmas....

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I posted on the IHMSA forum about this new pistol when it was first announced, and mostly got a big "ho hum". I guess because there are less than 300 members of IHMSA now, worldwide. I joined in 1980 and there were thousands of members then. As long as Elgin Gates was alive, he kept it going. With his death, it quickly turned into a high dollar equipment race. Which quickly killed off the sport. I still shoot IHMSA, but it's on it's last legs.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As long as Elgin Gates was alive, he kept it going.
    He kept it going because he considered IHMSA to be his personal piggy bank. When he died, IHMSA nearly died because that short-sighted, selfish, imperious son of a bitch had made absolutely no provision for the continuation of the organization.

That jerk made the rules. Literally, he re-wrote any rules he didn't like or that hurt his business, in violation of rule changes procedures. As far as he was concerned, he was the IHMSA and as far as he was concerned, the whole notion of IHMSA continuing to exist after his death was simply unthinkable. The organization was his toy, his moneymaker, and his forum for bullying people who didn't see the world of pistol shooting exactly the same as him.

Gates is one of the few people who can make me violate my rule about not speaking ill of the dead. I should stop before I really get going.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    So.....................the pistol arrived today (ordered yesterday) and my Son was here helping at the shop....so he ended up with it early.........I had a Trijicon ACOG stashed in the back of the safe for it....the SBA3 brace and folding adaptor still won't be here till next week....................

remington_700_pc_a4f58d4735221cce7e03a048d4d99bf1eca5df46.jpg

Attachments

• remington_700_pc_a4f58d4735221cce7e03a048d4d99bf1eca5df46.jpg
      remington_700_pc_a4f58d4735221cce7e03a048d4d99bf1eca5df46.jpg
      227.3 KB · Views: 396

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    I dont understand why these exist.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is proof that someone thought “I want to set those people on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done”.

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    I could bring you an overpowered bolt pistol next time we're in the same place at the same time. A couple of shots and you'll understand.

I totally love a cannon. I would very much like to get my hands on a 12ga pistol but nobody really makes em. I just dont really see what the purpose of a . bolt pistol is when you can have a 300blk ar for the same money.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is proof that someone thought “I want to set those people on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done”.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    The power of a .308 in a backpack size package.............

For certain practical applications, it's perfect.............

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Ben, a lot of what you said about Gates is true, but he really promoted handgun silhouette shooting, and he warned all of us about letting in high dollar handguns. If you have to wait 6 months to a year for a Freedom Arms revolver, that is NOT a production handgun! But no sooner than Gates was in the ground, IHMSA approved it for production revolver! If you can't get one over the counter within a reasonable amount of time, it AIN'T production!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I just dont really see what the purpose of a . bolt pistol is when you can have a 300blk ar for the same money.
    Some historical perspective might help.

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, an off-the-shelf hunting rifle that could hold 2 MOA with factory loads was a particularly good one. 3 MOA (or worse) was common in the hunting fields. AR pattern rifles were expected to be 3-4 MOA. Gun mags were filled with articles on how to re-bed your factory Remington or Winchester so that you could spend a long time tediously developing handloads to achieve, maybe, consistent 1 MOA performance. Nearly all those articles wound up accepting 1.25 MOA loads as being the best choice, all things considered.

Then pistol silhouette came along. You could ask a custom gunsmith to give you a discarded factory Remington .308 barrel off some custom build he was doing. You could take that junk barrel, cut it in half, and screw it onto a Remington XP action. Then you screwed the whole shebang into one of those funky but inert Zytel factory stocks, using nothing more sophisticated than screws you bought at a hardware store.

Suddenly, this crap collection of parts was shooting under (sometimes well under) 1 MOA with factory loads and under .5 MOA with hastily-thrown-together handloads. And that accuracy was consistent in every way consistency is commonly measured.

Do I need to go into why short barrels, all else being equal, are more accurate than long barrels? I hope not.

It took years for Remington to chamber a heavier cartridge, the 7mm BR, in the XP-100. When they did, even the dunderheaded gun writers of major magazines discovered the way that shorter (and therefore stiffer) barrels were more accurate. To many gun writers, the 7mm XP was the first time they'd tested an over-the-counter firearm capable of .5 MOA with factory loads.

Those of us who grew up in that era will always have a soft spot in our hearts (and maybe our heads, too) for bolt-action pistols. Back then, they were a revelation. As often as not, they were art, too.

Nowadays, as in everything, you kids have it so much better. Aluminum chassis, better barrels, better triggers, better bullets, better factory ammo mean that you can buy .5 MOA all day long. Your AR pistols are close to that and much more convenient to shoot follow-up shots.

Forgive us oldsters, though, if we still appreciate the bolt action pistol for its (still) better accuracy, simpler format, compactness, and ability to function with any ammo of any power level. It's a package that will always be useful.

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    The power of a .308 in a backpack size package.............

For certain practical applications, it's perfect.............

Why wouldnt you build an AR-10 if that was the case?

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    Some historical perspective might help.

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, an off-the-shelf hunting rifle that could hold 2 MOA with factory loads was a particularly good one. 3 MOA (or worse) was common in the hunting fields. AR pattern rifles were expected to be 3-4 MOA. Gun mags were filled with articles on how to re-bed your factory Remington or Winchester so that you could spend a long time tediously developing handloads to achieve, maybe, consistent 1 MOA performance. Nearly all those articles wound up accepting 1.25 MOA loads as being the best choice, all things considered.

Then pistol silhouette came along. You could ask a custom gunsmith to give you a discarded factory Remington .308 barrel off some custom build he was doing. You could take that junk barrel, cut it in half, and screw it onto a Remington XP action. Then you screwed the whole shebang into one of those funky but inert Zytel factory stocks, using nothing more sophisticated than screws you bought at a hardware store.

Suddenly, this crap collection of parts was shooting under (sometimes well under) 1 MOA with factory loads and under .5 MOA with hastily-thrown-together handloads. And that accuracy was consistent in every way consistency is commonly measured.

Do I need to go into why short barrels, all else being equal, are more accurate than long barrels? I hope not.

It took years for Remington to chamber a heavier cartridge, the 7mm BR, in the XP-100. When they did, even the dunderheaded gun writers of major magazines discovered the way that shorter (and therefore stiffer) barrels were more accurate. To many gun writers, the 7mm XP was the first time they'd tested an over-the-counter firearm capable of .5 MOA with factory loads.

Those of us who grew up in that era will always have a soft spot in our hearts (and maybe our heads, too) for bolt-action pistols. Back then, they were a revelation. As often as not, they were art, too.

Nowadays, as in everything, you kids have it so much better. Aluminum chassis, better barrels, better triggers, better bullets, better factory ammo mean that you can buy .5 MOA all day long. Your AR pistols are close to that and much more convenient to shoot follow-up shots.

Forgive us oldsters, though, if we still appreciate the bolt action pistol for its (still) better accuracy, simpler format, compactness, and ability to function with any ammo of any power level. It's a package that will always be useful.

Excellent reading, and I understand it from the nostalgic perspective. I just dont see the validity if the bolt action pistol as anything more than a novelty. I understand the short barrel accuracy argument, but are we talking accuracy at a specific distance, or accuracy overall from 0-1000 yards?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    are we talking accuracy at a specific distance, or accuracy overall from 0-1000 yards?
    Insightful question.

Short barrels, all else being equal, will be more accurate at all distances. Of course, all else is never equal. There are advantages to the high velocity accessible from long barrels when distances get long. My long range pistol shooting has mostly been limited to 600 yards. At that distance, elevation errors have started to become a problem, the sort of problem that rifle shooters can overcome more easily.

So, yes, if the standard is "accuracy overall from 0-1000 yards", it's pretty easy to make the superior case for rifles. Still...

images.jpeg

Attachments

• images.jpeg
      images.jpeg
      6.7 KB · Views: 309

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    Im not really arguing either way. Im just trying to figure out the attributes that a bolt pistol has that can be filled better by another platform. I always look at a firearm from the perspective of “is this a firearm I need, or a firearm I want?”. For me, it has to fill a role, so I am just trying to figure out what role this platform would fill.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Im not really arguing either way. Im just trying to figure out the attributes that a bolt pistol has that can be filled better by another platform. I always look at a firearm from the perspective of “is this a firearm I need, or a firearm I want?”. For me, it has to fill a role, so I am just trying to figure out what role this platform would fill.

Ah, then that's it, for him, it doesn't need to fill a role....

ETA: And, it's a Christmas gift.
    From father to son.

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    Ah, then that's it, for him, it doesn't need to fill a role....

Yeah and thats cool to. For me it just puts it way down on my list of gun purchases. Theres a lot of stuff I want for cool factor, but working guns and gear outweigh those purchases for me. My goals right now are to arm my family and train them up. There is no doubt that these bolt pistols are cool though.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Ben, and myself, were members of IHMSA, Dead Roman. Those XP bolt guns were the cats meow for knocking over those 55 lb rams at 200 meters, and in fact, still are! Mine is chambered in 7TCU, but gets the job done. We were sighting in one time at the old range on Hamilton Pool road, and a fellow next to us was sighting in his Remington pump action 30-06. We were shooting well under 1" groups at 100 yards with our silhouette pistols, and he was shooting about 4" with his deer rifle. I saw him sneak a peek at our groups and then he packed up and left. Those XP-100's were and are some of the most accurate guns I've ever fired.

Top Bottom