• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnericmccorkle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2018
    US
    Im not really arguing either way. Im just trying to figure out the attributes that a bolt pistol has that can be filled better by another platform. I always look at a firearm from the perspective of “is this a firearm I need, or a firearm I want?”. For me, it has to fill a role, so I am just trying to figure out what role this platform would fill.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is proof that someone thought “I want to set those people on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done”.
    So as I understand it, you issue isn't with the 700 cp pistol but with bolt action rifles in general. It seems you are asking why bolt action guns still exist given that ARs exist now in most any caliber...yes?

I can tell you with certainty that bolt action guns will always have a market and not just for nostalgia. Military, law enforcement, hunters, safari guides, department of wildlife management...all use bolt action guns and not for nostalgia or because they can't afford an AR. There are countless reasons to have a bolt gun over a semi auto.

These are hyper practical and useful on almost every level... especially in their 300 BLK loading. And have advantage over their semi auto cousins a plenty

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Who wants the new Remington 700CP, in .223, .300BLK, or .308 Win.?

View attachment 154331

I'm assuming that since they are basically a shortened version of the 700, that caliber swaps are not as simple as popping off a barrel and sticking another on?

I think that single shot/bolt action rifle caliber pistols are a tough sell, and that the niche market they are made for is already dominated by T/C, who's guns are made for easy and moderately cheap caliber swaps.

They're neat, but if I was going to drop that kind of money on something like that, I'd go with T/C. Frankly, those things are a reloader's and wildcatter's dream. Especially since H&R gave up the rifle business.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    single shot/bolt action rifle caliber pistols are a tough sell
    They always have been for the general gun-buying public.
    the niche market they are made for is already dominated by T/C
    That wasn't the case back when they first became popular. In the very beginning, Contenders were unable to handle anything over .357. The early ones were improved; .30-30 was offered. But that's as far as it went. You couldn't safely get .308-class cartridges in the Contender until the G2 came out and that was after silhouette shooting and the market for rifle-caliber pistols had mostly died.

To those of us who remember what a PITA the original Contender was (lousy accuracy, limited chamberings, painful ergonomics, mechanical failures, seeing the action cracked open after every shot, etc.), the thought of accepting any T/C pistol today is vomit-inducing.

OK, I admit that the above is overstated. I hate T/C pistols more than just about anyone. Still, if you want the best accuracy from a rifle caliber pistol with the least work, bolt pistols just walk all over any break-open design. I say that as someone who owns and has extensively shot the T/C, the Merrill, the Wichita (bolt, not break-open) and the XP.

If you really want the one advantage of the T/C, the easily interchangeable barrels, the MOA is probably the way to go. Yes, I have one of those, too. :)

ETA: Just out of curiosity, I went over to the MOA website and it hasn't been updated in years. Phooey. That does not bode well for me ever getting any more new barrels.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    The Remington 700 CP aren't single shot. Changing calibers is no more difficult than any other Remington 700 action....My Son's intention is to eventually re-barrel in .458 Socom.....

I would agree the 700 CP isn't for everyone, but it does have potential for very specific uses/applications.

Last edited:

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    They always have been for the general gun-buying public.
    That wasn't the case back when they first became popular. In the very beginning, Contenders were unable to handle anything over .357. The early ones were improved; .30-30 was offered. But that's as far as it went. You couldn't safely get .308-class cartridges in the Contender until the G2 came out and that was after silhouette shooting and the market for rifle-caliber pistols had mostly died.

To those of us who remember what a PITA the original Contender was (lousy accuracy, limited chamberings, painful ergonomics, mechanical failures, seeing the action cracked open after every shot, etc.), the thought of accepting any T/C pistol today is vomit-inducing.

OK, I admit that the above is overstated. I hate T/C pistols more than just about anyone. Still, if you want the best accuracy from a rifle caliber pistol with the least work, bolt pistols just walk all over any break-open design. I say that as someone who owns and has extensively shot the T/C, the Merrill, the Wichita (bolt, not break-open) and the XP.

If you really want the one advantage of the T/C, the easily interchangeable barrels, the MOA is probably the way to go. Yes, I have one of those, too. :)

ETA: Just out of curiosity, I went over to the MOA website and it hasn't been updated in years. Phooey. That does not bode well for me ever getting any more new barrels.

Tell us how you really feel, lol. :p

The Remington 700 CP aren't single shot. Changing calibers is no more difficult than any other Remington 700 action....My Son's intention is to eventually re-barrel in .458 Socom.....

I would agree the 700 CP isn't for everyone, but it does have potential for very specific uses/applications.

No, it's not a single shot (I don't think anyone said they were), but then again, it's not a semi auto or a revolver either. It fits into the same niche that single shot rifle caliber handguns fall into.

As for changing calibers, I think you could say that for most guns. It's just as easy as finding a barrel in the length and cambering you want, sticking the gun in a vise and using a wrench to remove the old barrel, screwing in a new one, checking head space, ect. That's not exactly in the same league as simply popping off the front half of a T/C and popping one a new barrel that will not require much if any adjustment.

Ben made some very good points about the accuracy of the gun, and his issues with the T/Cs, but as far as buying a receiver and a half dozen different barrels for the 700CP like many do with T/Cs, that ain't gonna happen.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I’ve been shooting T/Cs for decades and have never had a problem with any of them. Super accurate, easy to use, they used to be economical,
    And interchangeable from pistol to carbine or rifle quickly. They outlived all other pistols of the type.
    1st gen
    2nd gen
    3rd gen
    Encore

Gunmetal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    Midland
    I purchased a 700-CP recently in 6.5CR. Have only taken it out to 100yds but it groups just as good as any factory bolt gun. Will experiment out to beyond 100yds here soon but I definitely see this as a great deer blind gun

Top Bottom