• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I remember shooting one of these years ago on a ranch in Rock Springs. Just busting rocks at various distances with rudimentary range finders. Probably a Leupold VX-II 3x9 or some such thing. I still have one I wouldn't trade for 500.00. I recall this .30-06 chambered rifle being dead nuts on out to 300 yards. Great gun and I wanted one terribly at the time.

I'm no longer in the deer rifle buying business as I have what I'll use in any case. But what the heck is the deal with low pricing on the Remmy 742's? Max $600.00 is what I've seen for one hell of a mid-70's example. Is there a known mechanical thing that drives lower pricing? Or? They're danged good looking rifles and from my personal experience of 50 or so rounds - the one I tested shot and hit like a champ.

Thoughts?
    Venture Surplus ad

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    They haven't made that specific gun in over 40 years, and it's not an iconic gun or even that well known of a gun today, so most people just don't care about them. Sometimes they'll get recognized by the gun shooting/hunting community for what they are, and the value will increase. Sometimes, they won't. If you look around, you'll find a lot of old guns like that. There's nothing wrong with them, they're just not popular.

Last edited:

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Minute of deer accurate at best is my experience. They have a tendency to self-destruct for a couple of reasons. One is that the chamber is hard to clean and will pit, grab fired cases tightly, and cause jams. The other is that the receiver is soft metal and the bolt lugs chew it up over time.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Pump centerfire rifles and the 30-06 cartridge are not very popular in Texas.....

It is a great rifle, I agree with you..........

30-06 is probably the most underappreciated cartridge........it really is one of......if not the most versatile cartridges......

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I remember shooting one of these years ago on a ranch in Rock Springs. Just busting rocks at various distances with rudimentary range finders. Probably a Leupold VX-II 3x9 or some such thing. I still have one I wouldn't trade for 500.00. I recall this .30-06 chambered rifle being dead nuts on out to 300 yards. Great gun and I wanted one terribly at the time.

I'm no longer in the deer rifle buying business as I have what I'll use in any case. But what the heck is the deal with low pricing on the Remmy 742's? Max $600.00 is what I've seen for one hell of a mid-70's example. Is there a known mechanical thing that drives lower pricing? Or? They're danged good looking rifles and from my personal experience of 50 or so rounds - the one I tested shot and hit like a champ.

Thoughts?
    They are not black, they are not plastic. No one wants that stuff anymore.

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    30.06, while a capable and versatile cartridge, seems to be steadily falling in popularity as younger hunters look for the cool factor and “magical” cartridges. My first hunting rifle purchase was a Remington 7400 in 30.06 way back in about 1989.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I have a nice 742 BDL deluxe. I haven't shot it in 30 years. I've thought about selling it but I'm a bad procrastinator so she just sits in the back of the safe. I'll try to remember to take her out and snap a pick when I get home.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    CCCDA5F7-5E8C-47C7-A954-2A3DCE1CBECB.jpeg

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    The 742's are good guns. Only thing that you need to look at when buying is the bolt. Pins on them will start to go and most malfunctions are because of issues with the bolt. Plenty of replacement parts available. I would own one. It's an American classic.

Why they aren't popular anymore? People are more into mall ninja 6.5 tactical dildo bayonet type guns.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    They still get taken out quite often, based on how often i see them.

They aren't the most accurate, or reliable. Very flimsy feeling considering its caliber. I've seen people claim they are 1.5-2" guns, maybe 2" on a really good day and god smiles upon you.

If i had to go outside with a semi .30-06, I'd take a Garand without hesitation. Hell I'd take any bolt .30-06 before a 742

johnbeaver

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Livingston
    I have had and used a Remington 742 BDL .308 for 56 years. Taken many Whitetail and a few Mule deer and some pigs.
    With a 4x power Leopold scope it has needed few adjustments over the years. will still group well at hundred yards.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I think that is the common consensus. Hunting = bolt, all others are out there but to a much lesser degree.

I don't remember what my point was, but iirc it was along the line of "gun to my head i have to hunt with a .30-06 semi auto" my picks would be #1 an M1 garand, #2 a bolt action, #3 a Remington 742

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I think that is the common consensus. Hunting = bolt, all others are out there but to a much lesser degree.
    Except that danged FN AR308. Mine was sub-moa all day long. I think it was built on the BAR platform. Sold that thing for a song and have kicked myself ever since. In fairness- you needed a watchmaking degree to tear it down and reassemble without leftover parts.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I had a friend who called his a jam o matic. I thought his was .243................to many years ago to be sure.

Top Bottom