• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1086Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2021
    Houston
    I've got an old beat up remington 788. I've heard they were extremely accurate, but I'm assuming that isn't the case with mine, owing to a dirt dauber plugged barrel that rusted. Are these worth rebarreling to make a custom long-ish range gun out of?

1086Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2021
    Houston
    It's pitted for about a 2 inch section, enough that I'm worried about shooting it. Unfortunately its far enough from the muzzle that it can't be cut and still be 16"

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I'd spend some time working on that barrel with a bore brush. I've brought more than one barrel back to life that I thought was ruined by giving it a good scrubbing. Hot water and vinegar work really well.

If you haven't already!

sparkyv

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Deepinnaheartta, Texas
    Yes, they were known to be good shooters, but unless it had some sentimental value like mine does, I don't think I'd spend energy trying to save it beyond cleaning the barrel and shooting/evaluating it as-is.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'd clean the barrel really good and just shoot it, or sell it. If you are not sentimentally attached to the rifle, sell it. There is a small cult following for the Remington 788's. One problem is there is very little in the aftermarket to support these rifles, so better parts will be difficult to find, if they even exist. Unlike the Model 700's, just about anything can be bought in the aftermarket for them.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    ? for the OP. In what caliber is it currently chambered? You might be surprised and someone might be willing to trade you something shootable in exchange.

1086Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2021
    Houston
    It is in .243. I'm trying to decide if I want to replace the locked up trigger as well, or cut my losses. I know Timney makes a good one but $150 on a free gun that may need a new barrel might not make sense

Top Bottom