• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    This past Thursday, Remington announced it is furloughing 600 employees at its Ilion, NY plant. I hope they can get out of their current financial quagmire. (Source.)

I've been a Remington fan for many, many years - since summer camp in the 60s when I first learned how to shoot on Winchester & Remington 22 rifles. I preferred the heavier Remington. My first shotgun was a Remington 870 Wingmaster I bought when I was a young Border Patrol Agent. Sadly I sold it early on after getting married when we were in need of some cash. My very next shotgun was a Remington 870 Express combo. I still have that Remington 870 which I used on the job as a Customs Agent and in the field hunting - I bagged my first buck with it, an 8 point whitetail.

I also currently have the following Remington firearms: 12 gauge Model 10, 12 gauge Model 29, 16 gauge Model 31 (all of those pump action shotguns); a 513T Matchmaster bolt action rifle in 22LR, Model 141 pump action rifle in 35 REM, Remington R1 1911 pistol in 45 ACP. I've had a bunch of others too and gave my son a Remington 870 Express combo with laminate stock.

I believe Remington is the oldest surviving manufacturer of firearms in the USA, they started up in Ilion, NY in the early 1800s. Sadly they seem to be on their last legs but hopefully someone will take them over and the legacy will live on. If they do shut down, I will deeply regret never visiting their facility and museum in Ilion, NY. Remington is an American icon.

All the best,
    Glenn B
    Lynx Defense

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Coming out of this bankruptcy settlement, somebody will "own" the name. Now whether they ever do anything with it, is a completely different story. Sad indeed.
    --
    1955 Sportsman Mohawk 48 in 16 ga.
    2011 Model 597 in .22LR
    2014 Versa Max Tactical in 12 ga.
    2014 1911 R1 Enhanced 5" SS

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Maybe these companies shouldn't be producing firearms and ammunition in anti-gun states :S Hate that 700 people lost their jobs, but these companies need to start operating in areas that are friendly to their business.
    Why - what effect if any would that have had on Remington's situation? They are not furloughing folks because they are in NY, they are bankrupt and going out of business and selling off the company to the highest bidders in sections. Remington was the first gun manufacturer and opened for business in NY and was, until it's demise, the oldest surviving gun manufacturer in the nation (while still in NY). Manufacturing ammo in Lonoke, AR did not help them. They had a plan in Alabama as well and that did not help them. I imagine they may have had other facilities in other states. Operating the plant in Ilion, NY - there main operation did not hurt them; it was their place of origin. Their lack of quality for quite some time and piss poor financial management is lkely what killed them.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Gun maker Remington Outdoor will be broken up and sold after a multiday bankruptcy auction, in which seven different buyers won the bidding for parcels of the company’s weapons and ammunition holdings. (WSJ)
    The following 7 companies are the successful bidders:

Vista Outdoor, Inc. - Lonoke (Arkansas) Ammunitions Business​
    Roundhill Group, LLC - the non-Marlin Firearms Business​
    Sierra Bullets, L.L.C. - Barnes Ammunitions Business;​
    Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. - the Marlin Firearms Business​
    JJE Capital Holdings, LLC - the DPMS,H&R, Stormlake, AAC, and Parker brands;​
    Franklin Armory Holdings, Inc. - the Bushmaster brand and certain related assets;​
    Sportsman’s Warehouse, Inc. the Tapco brand.​

Look for some new lever actions out of Ruger. JJE Capital holdings has Palmetto State Armory, amongst other things. Vista owns Federal, CCI, and a bunch of other stuff.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Why - what effect if any would that have had on Remington's situation? They are not furloughing folks because they are in NY, they are bankrupt and going out of business and selling off the company to the highest bidders in sections. Remington was the first gun manufacturer and opened for business in NY and was, until it's demise, the oldest surviving gun manufacturer in the nation (while still in NY). Manufacturing ammo in Lonoke, AR did not help them. They had a plan in Alabama as well and that did not help them. I imagine they may have had other facilities in other states. Operating the plant in Ilion, NY - there main operation did not hurt them; it was their place of origin. Their lack of quality for quite some time and piss poor financial management is lkely what killed them.

IF the company started in NY, was headquartered in NY, then likely it's management came from..... Well you're smart enough to figure it out.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I noticed Parker brand in there.
    Man! I wish they’d make Parker shotguns again.
    If they did I sense a 28ga SxS in my future.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    870 Wingmaster since 1976,
    870 Police Magnum since 2019 (but it's an old gun)
    some budget, fixed mag, 243 that I foolishly sold 20 yrs ago.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    IF the company started in NY, was headquartered in NY, then likely it's management came from..... Well you're smart enough to figure it out.
    What does that mean? I ask that because I am smart enough not to to jump to conclusions based upon what you just wrote. I am also smart enough to know: There are plenty of pro-gun people in NY - I know because I was one of them and because I knew plenty of them and belonged to, and participated in the activities of, organizations that had meany as members. Are you attempting to imply that someone from NY cannot be pro-gun or that someone from NY can not successfully run a firearms related business? If not that then are you trying imbue, within those who read your comment, something else - maybe like a negative view of all New York residents possibly based upon your own views?

Just for your information, Remington was the oldest surviving firearms manufacturing company in the United States of America and it was located in New York since its inception in 1816; they must have been doing something right all those years even though or because of the fact tat many they employed were from NY. So again, what were you trying to say about its management coming from NY?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    What does that mean? I ask that because I am smart enough not to to jump to conclusions based upon what you just wrote. I am also smart enough to know: There are plenty of pro-gun people in NY - I know because I was one of them and because I knew plenty of them and belonged to, and participated in the activities of, organizations that had meany as members. Are you attempting to imply that someone from NY cannot be pro-gun or that someone from NY can not successfully run a firearms related business? If not that then are you trying imbue, within those who read your comment, something else - maybe like a negative view of all New York residents possibly based upon your own views?

Just for your information, Remington was the oldest surviving firearms manufacturing company in the United States of America and it was located in New York since its inception in 1816; they must have been doing something right all those years even though or because of the fact tat many they employed were from NY. So again, what were you trying to say about its management coming from NY?

Glenn obviously I gave you far too much credit, I apologize.

Freedom Group, which was owned by an investment company out of Manhattan... errr. what state.. AH YES NEW YORK.. bought Remington DPMS and Bushmaster and then ran them into the ground.

1816 NY is much MUCH different than NY in 2020. They hadn't been doing anything right in at least 3 decades and probably longer. So yes. The NEW YAWK management sucked ass. Pull your head out of yours dude.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Glenn obviously I gave you far too much credit, I apologize.

Freedom Group, which was owned by an investment company out of Manhattan... errr. what state.. AH YES NEW YORK.. bought Remington DPMS and Bushmaster and then ran them into the ground.

1816 NY is much MUCH different than NY in 2020. They hadn't been doing anything right in at least 3 decades and probably longer. So yes. The NEW YAWK management sucked ass. Pull your head out of yours dude.
    I ask a few questions, based very much on your earlier post, and you certainly got nasty. I think I was quite civil (I've been making an effort to be more so as of late) with my reply to you but you were not likewise with yours to me. The I gave you too much credit remark and your pull your head out of yours (obviously meaning my head out of my arse) comment, were in fact downright crude. Thus no point in a thought out reply to your content because my guess is once I say something or ask something intelligently and cordially you would again revert to foulness and arrogance. Reading anything further you have to say would be pointless, my guess is the next thing you probably would do is blame it on the Jews since the head of Cerebus (which owned and maybe still owns what is left of Remington at this moment) is Jewish as well as being a native born New Yorker. Anyway - allow me to say, it has been a displeasure but will be no more.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I always liked Remington. Its a damn shame. A lgs nearby has a really nice older 870 magnum that I should probably go buy before someone else does.

Ilion is about an hour away from where my mom (I am not a yankee, she remarried and relocated up there) lives up there. Alot of great people live in upstate NY. I was surprised by the amount of people who were allowing me to hunt on their property for free this past year. Sad to hear for the workers but I am wondering if they hadn't already expected this day to be coming sooner rather than later.

Maybe this "Roundhill group" or whatever the hell that is will keep producing Rem's shotguns there? I hope so atleast

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Remington had to sell off the company because their current products suck ass. If you work for a company whose products suck ass.........look for another job before you lose it.

Look at my name.......my favorite is a Remington..........from the 60's

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Their lack of quality for quite some time and piss poor financial management is lkely what killed them.
    I believe it was the ridiculous lawsuit in CT that was the final straw. There is no doubt that quality had gone down but the legal system was the straw that broke the camels back.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I believe it was the ridiculous lawsuit in CT that was the final straw. There is no doubt that quality had gone down but the legal system was the straw that broke the camels back.

Quality has been slipping for some years now. I would suspect when Cerebrus bought them up. They seemed driven more for profits, than putting out the quality of firearms they were famous for.

I too think the lawsuit was the final straw. The lawsuit was bogus to begin with. They could sue the shooter, because he's dead and there are no assets to sue for, so go after Remington. They got deep pockets. Totally bogus IMO.

But, maybe it turns out for the best and someone starts putting the quality back into the firearms again.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I lived in central NY for a few miserable years. I hated the taxes and the weather, but there are some good folks around there. They have a very skewed understanding of the rest of the USA - like they think Texas has shoot outs in the street every day and most people south of the Mason-Dixon can't read or write. They don't have public shooting ranges, so I had to join a shooting club. The members were really good folks - almost like being here at home. They hated the Libs, but the Hudson River Valley (New York City and Albany) have such a huge population that they control the elections. Among the members were a lot of retired Remington factory workers. They had a group that made their own blackpowder rifles from scratch (which is how Remington got it's start). We talked on occasion, and the consensus was that the company was poorly managed and ran itself into the ground. Faced with a choice of quality or cheap, they chose cheap every time. And it wasn't just designs or materials; they pushed tooling to it's limits and thus made barrels that weren't accurate. They all figured that manufacturing in NY was doomed to failure and the state could care less.

While this is certainly bad for the local economy and the factory workers, it may ultimately be good for the other parts of the company. Ruger is a better run company, and they could potentially make some great firearms with those Marlin designs. The other divisions could do well, esp. since it looks like they were acquired cheaply enough to be profitable for the new owners. Of course, if the commiecrats win, who knows what will happen.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    I lived in central NY for a few miserable years. I hated the taxes and the weather, but there are some good folks around there. They have a very skewed understanding of the rest of the USA - like they think Texas has shoot outs in the street every day and most people south of the Mason-Dixon can't read or write.

I hope that was you being facetious and not that you really met people who believed the things you said because that seems atypical of the folks throughout NY State - at least the people I know. I say that based on the fact that I lived in NY most of my life and I never heard anything like what you just wrote expressed by anyone except maybe in jest about literacy but that was with regard to West Virginia and Appalachia, or some people NYC. When they talk about shootings it is usually based on shootings in NYC or Chicago and I think anyone can agree both have a lot of shootings, especially Chicago. Then again maybe that was because the folks with whom I associated were mostly conservatives or libertarians but then again there were some liberals too (just not of the turd variety). Many of them had traveled around the country more than most due to work assignments. They never were slanted in their views of folks from any regions in the USA like you mentioned other than in jest. In fact many relocate to southern states upon retirement or have second homes there. They almost always comment nicely about the folks in those states. Of course, you probably met people other than the ones I knew and they could be of the ilk you mentioned there are more than enough idiots in NY.

As for not having public shooting ranges, I am surprised but that was central NY. Never did much shooting upstate except on private or public land (target shooting is allowed in many state forests although it is prohibited in others) so was unfamiliar with ranges up that way. There are a few private ranges and a couple of public ranges on Long Island - both open to the public - no membersip required. Even New York City has at least one private range deep in the heart of darkness (Westside Rifle & Pistol Range in midtown Manhattan) with no club membership required although it can be very expensive. Because it is in NYC there are ridiculous government imposed restrictions on what you can shoot, if you do not have a licensed firearm I think you are limited to 22 caliber rimfire rifles owned by the establishment.

Interesting comments you made on Remington and going cheap every time. Corporate America all to often likes to bring in money as cheaply as they can get it, that is a shame in the case of one of the great gun maers in our history.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    You can believe what a New Yorker says about the way you can believe Biden........they have drivel running out of both sides of the mouth when speaking......just catch the drops and take them for what they are worth.

Top Bottom