• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martywj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burleson
    I can get a Remington Model 11-48 in 12 gauge that belonged to my step-dad. The gun is in really good shape and the only problem I see is the stock seems to be a bit loose where it joins to the receiver.
    My question is I am thinking of conveting this gun to home defense weapon with a shorter barrel, say around 18 or 19 inchs. Pull the plug out the magazine so I can load 5 rounds of 00 buckshot, and add a tactical light. What do you think? How hard is it to remove and replace the barrel? Is that someting I can do? Or only a gunsmith? Where to find a short barrel.
    I don't want to mess up the gun because I still may want to use it for bird hunting, such as quail or dove.
    Any inputs are appreciated.
    Marty
    Target Sports

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    The 11-48 was produced from around 1949 to 1968. Parts are still available and I saw some auctions on GunBroker for barrels, etc.

You can change out the barrel yourself. You just unscrew the magazine cap and the barrel pulls out of the receiver. You might want to lock back the bolt before you remove the cap. I doubt if Remington made a short barrel for this particular shotgun, but you could get a longer barrel and have a gunsmith shorten it for you. I'm not a big fan of the hacksaw method of shortening a barrel. You might check and see if someone can modify the existing barrel to take choke tubes.

You should be able to tighten the stock by removing the butt plate and tightening the stock screw.

martywj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burleson
    Thanks for the info! After pricing some barrel for this gun I believe I will just keep it as is. Prices seem to range from $150 to $200. I can buy a tactical shotgun for home defense for that price or maybe even less. I will keep the Remington for bird hunting.
    Marty

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the 11-48 is a very good shotgun for doves and quail not to good for ducks and geese the 2-3/4" just don't get out there with the steel loads of today .

you can get a really decent hd shotgun online for under $200 just poke a around on gunbroker and auction arms .

good luck!

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    this is the gun i grew up shooting dove with and will tell you from experience that you should leave it as is. if you want a cheap hd gun look at a maverick 88 very cheap and easy to customize.

martywj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burleson
    this is the gun i grew up shooting dove with and will tell you from experience that you should leave it as is. if you want a cheap hd gun look at a maverick 88 very cheap and easy to customize.

Yeah, I already decided to keep the 11-48 as is for a bird gun. Not much in the way of duck hunting here in North Texas, but the quail & dove hunting is pretty good. So it even if will only shot the 2 3/4" shells good enough for what I want it for.
    I will post pics after I get it.

Top Bottom