Remington Model 11 Question

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by TXPaul, Mar 7, 2009.

1. TXPaul

TXPaul New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Pearland
    My wife inherited a Remington Model 11 and it has a bulge on the outside of the barrel.

Is this a feature on these models? I have seen one for sale recently and it has the same bulge about half way down the barrel.

I checked the bore and it seems to be smooth.

Does anyone have any definitive information?

Thanks

2. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I don't think that is normal. I remember working on one a few years ago and don't remember any kind of bulge.
    Here's a link to the Remington firearms historical site:
    Firearm Model History - Remington Model 11
    From the photo, I don't see any kind of bulge. The Model 11 is basically a copy of the Browning A5.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Post a picture, that should help.

4. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    There is absolutely nothing normal about that bulge in the barrel. It was abused, probably either by firing with a restriction in the barrel (e.g., dirt in the muzzle) or by firing steel shot. The barrel is now scrap metal.

5. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    +1 get it checked out by a gunsmith.

6. TXPaul

TXPaul New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Pearland
  7. 7+1

7+1 New Member

Mar 4, 2009
    i once owned a md 11 made in 1905 first year of production.there was no bulge. if the bulge is near the muzzle then we all know what happened.if not i would not shoot it and look for a new barrel.but as most of us have found,you can buy a good used shgun for what a new barrel would cost

8. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    No, it is permanently damaged and cannot be fixed.

9. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I inherited a Winchester model 97 12 gauge and it also has the bulge feature.

If it wasn't a safe queen, but maybe hanging in a rack out in the country and was actually used, it may have the same bulge mine has. A dirt dauber started building in my Grandpa's and he didn't know it. 1 shot and the barrel bulged. Still like that today.

I also must report, it is highly likely that a dirt dauber "was" indeed harmed in this unique, east Texas shotgun barrel modification.

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Member

Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Mine was made in 1914 and it is still a great shooter.Try to find a used barrel for it,they aren't cheap,but the Model 11 is a far better shotgun than most that are made today.

Attached Files: