• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXPaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Pearland
    My wife inherited a Remington Model 11 and it has a bulge on the outside of the barrel.

Is this a feature on these models? I have seen one for sale recently and it has the same bulge about half way down the barrel.

I checked the bore and it seems to be smooth.

Does anyone have any definitive information?

Thanks
    Texas SOT

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    There is absolutely nothing normal about that bulge in the barrel. It was abused, probably either by firing with a restriction in the barrel (e.g., dirt in the muzzle) or by firing steel shot. The barrel is now scrap metal.

7+1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    i once owned a md 11 made in 1905 first year of production.there was no bulge. if the bulge is near the muzzle then we all know what happened.if not i would not shoot it and look for a new barrel.but as most of us have found,you can buy a good used shgun for what a new barrel would cost

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I inherited a Winchester model 97 12 gauge and it also has the bulge feature.

If it wasn't a safe queen, but maybe hanging in a rack out in the country and was actually used, it may have the same bulge mine has. A dirt dauber started building in my Grandpa's and he didn't know it. 1 shot and the barrel bulged. Still like that today.

I also must report, it is highly likely that a dirt dauber "was" indeed harmed in this unique, east Texas shotgun barrel modification.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    i once owned a md 11 made in 1905 first year of production.there was no bulge. if the bulge is near the muzzle then we all know what happened.if not i would not shoot it and look for a new barrel.but as most of us have found,you can buy a good used shgun for what a new barrel would cost

Mine was made in 1914 and it is still a great shooter.Try to find a used barrel for it,they aren't cheap,but the Model 11 is a far better shotgun than most that are made today.

Attachments

• Rem11 (11).jpg
      Rem11 (11).jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 185

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    A good gunsmith can iron out the bulge with a small hammer, I have seen it done. With a little polishing and some cold blue you have to llok hard to even see where it was.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom