• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I am having a helluva time removing the front sight post/gas block off one of my rifles. It’s an inexpensive PSA AR15, carbine length. I know they are usually a pain in the ass, but the pins won’t budge on this one at all. Actually looks like they just parkerized over the whole block with pins and all. I am trying to change the hand guard to an old school triangle hand guard, so I need to put a triangle cap on. I want to give the gun to my dad, who is a Vietnam Vet, and although it’s not a Colt, and it’s not even rifle length, I think he will like it. I am at the point that I’m almost willing to drill out the pins and just buy a new front sight post/gas block and replace it. I’ve watched videos and read articles, and it just won’t budge! I sprayed it down with some penetrating oil before I left for work, and I will bang on it some more when I get home, but thought I would ask if anyone had any more ideas. I am 100% positive I’m going the right way, but I did do a couple taps on the other side to see if they would loosen that way, and nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Funny, I just did that on my PSA build rifle. My pins were protruding slightly from each side, and domed, so I dremel'd them flat so the punch wouldn't slip off. I had "started" them by putting the flat surface of a smaller ball pein hammer on it, and using the bigger hammer to smack them down as close to level as I could. I then used a punch that was just slightly smaller than the pin to pound them out. It took 7 or 8 good smacks to get them to move, then they just came right out.

Stupid question, but I have to ask.... you know they are tapered pins, right? One side of the pin should measure about .14 in diameter, and the other will be somewhere around .125 or so. You gotta punch them out the right direction....

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    They are tapered pins.
    I want to say they go in left to right. So tap them from the the right side.

If you already beat the shit out the right... try the left :green:

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I got em. I just needed to put a little more BANG behind them! I’ve never had to take a regular hammer to get pins out of a gun, but the mallet wasn’t getting the job done. The “dome” on the end of the pins wasn’t an issue, I had the right punches that were dimpled and sat on there straight. They were just really really in there snug!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Most are inserted from right to left...except S&W.. which are backwards...their revolvers turn the wrong way too.....so there is that...........

Asymmetrical

The harmony of the Pen and the Sword
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2018
    Texas
    Make sure you back the front sight block solidly to avoid robbing force from the hammer blow.

Soak the pins with Kroil for a day of so to loosen them up. The stuff is amazing.

I like to put the receiver on a reaction rod, then place a wood block under the barrel close to the rear of the FSB, then use a concave-faced punch to drive out the pins. As others have said, drive from the SMALL side to the LARGE side. Measure with calipers if you ain't sure, and good luck!

Top Bottom