• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    So just submitted my renewal (expires April) and I had to email in a copy of my DD214 and the application barcode. If the DPS can reuse a passport photo and previous fingerprints, why can't they remember my veteran status? I get submitting it for first timers but on a renewal it just seems like a redundant waste of my time.

W
    Capitol Armory ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    So just submitted my renewal (expires April) and I had to email in a copy of my DD214 and the application barcode. If the DPS can reuse a passport photo and previous fingerprints, why can't they remember my veteran status? I get submitting it for first timers but on a renewal it just seems like a redundant waste of my time.

W

I had to do the same thing.

your gripe is duly noted.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Could be if you were active previously and got a dishonorable, you're no longer entitled to a discount.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Um, a DD214 is a "discharge from active duty". You don't get issued one until separation. I wasn't active previously when I first obtained my chl. I was discharged already with honorable conditions. I was more likely to age from my previous passport photo than I was likely to rejoin the armed forces and be discharged again under other than honorable conditions.

W

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    you only get a DD214 one time and that is upon retirement, separation (you did your commitment and chose not to re-enlist) or discharge (they discharged you)

there are a number of discharge conditions that are not dishonorable like medical or hardship.

the big thing for someone just getting out when their time was up, was their re-enlistment code on that form.

it is basically the civilian equivalent to "at the time you left, were you eligible to be re hired"

it is something that they need to work out to make the process for us and them go faster.
    If they can keep up with your passport photo and fingerprints, why can't they keep up with that document also?

Last edited:

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    if i reme,ber right, and I may not be, they ask you ina few places your veterna status: first a simple yes, no; then active or not; then when and if you seperated.

I believe it matters becasue if you are active or seperated within a year, your fee is waived, but if you are seperated more than a year ago, you have to pay.

Maybe it has to do with that?

C-

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    you only get a DD214 one time and that is upon retirement, separation (you did your commitment and chose not to re-enlist) or discharge (they discharged you)

Not quite true. I have two DD 214s, one from my enlisted service and the second from when I retired as an officer.

Reservists can also get them at the end of any extended period of service (90 days or more as long as it is under Title 10, less if considered a DoD contingency operation; but they are not allowed under Title 14 recalls because the max recall period is 60 days and it is not considered a DoD contingency operation). I've met Reservists who have had several of them.

But STP, don't feel bad, I had to provide proof of citizenship during my last renewal because I was born overseas. It didn't matter that I was a US citizen when I was born, or that I was born in a US Army hospital.

Nor did it matter that this was a renewal and that I am a retired USAF officer that has a security clearance and who has been vetted by local and Federal law enforcement agencies.

Nope, if they want the paperwork, you had better give it to them; otherwise you won't be getting your CHL!

Cheers! M2

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have 2 DD214s and my separation/honorable discharge orders. It gets complicated.

-Without Life there can be no Liberty-

you and majormadmax are just special that way:army:
    :roflfunny:

I was enlisted only, did my 4 active, got a DD214 and did my 4 inactive. I don't rememeber getting anything other than a official discharge certificate and my DD214

but that was back in 1992 and I have slept since then...

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ok so I have an update. I was griping because my ex wife has my dd214 copy so I had to drive to Corpus Christi to get another certified copy. She wasn't going to give me my other copy. I finally emailed it out last night a month after doing the online application. Well guess what was in the mail today! Either that was the quickest turn around in chl history or they really didn't need to see my dd214 again. Wonder if I can get them to reimburse my gas money?!

W

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Remember, our pals at DPS/CHL are funded by your money, as per the original CHL law passed so long ago. They want ALL your money, and so make it very difficult and annoying by design against anyone who dares file for a cheaper fee.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!

I got mine in the mail today!

I only emailed in my documents less then TEN DAYS AGO!

the DPS is turning and burning down there

:cowboy:

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    When I got out in 1996, they gave me two copies of my DD214, one with the discharge status and one without. I recall this explicitly because I forgot I had two and sent the one without discharge status to the state for my CHL and had to send them the other one.

I believe the law changed to put vet status on your CHL so maybe they are doing proof again to update records or some garbage where some minimum wage keyboard monkey cant review prior statuses...

Top Bottom