Venture Surplus ad

Renewal Help...website issues?! Too Early?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heyeng

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Greetings fellow CHL holders! I did a quick search but couldn't find anything out...so here goes:

I got the letter from DPS today saying that I need to renew (expires 5/11). I go online to complete the application, but the only "renew or apply" link that is there is for the instructor license. The only other links that are available are the ones to change info on my current license. I understood that you can't go on too early to do the application, but I was also under the assumption that if I had the letter, that I would be good to go? Is this not the case? I am not too worried as I am hearing the turn arounds are pretty quick, but I would like to go ahead and get it knocked out ASAP. Thanks!
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    Why not just go through your instructor? You have to do a renewal class and re-qualify anyway.
    I don't see how anyone could renew through the website. Has something changed?

heyeng

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Why not just go through your instructor? You have to do a renewal class and re-qualify anyway.
    I don't see how anyone could renew through the website. Has something changed?

It's doing the "paperwork" portion of it. I understand that when you do it, you get a page w/ a large bar code that you sent w/ your CHL-100. If you do the application through the instructor, it's paper and *could* take longer.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Don't worry, it can be done online and the turn around is pretty quick. Mine took a while because I am "foreign-born" (despite serving in the US military for 25 years, and qualifying for the veteran's discount), and I still got it back in 54 days. Is it less than six months until your birthday? That may be the issue.

Anyhow, see this thread for a better idea of turn-around times and other details: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...double-action-chl/17711-fast-service-dps.html

Cheers! M2

heyeng

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    OK..I am not sure if I am making myself clear. I have gotten the letter that says "hey, time to renew". There is NO PIN and I am able to log into the DPS website with NO ISSUES. The ONLY option I have for Apply/Renew is for "apply for instructor certificate". There is NO hyperlink to "renew CHL". I have attached a screen shot to better explain.

So...is there a time frame in which this will become an option?

Screen Capture.jpg

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You are perfectly clear, and I am responding by telling you I just went through all of this and was able to do the administriva online!

So I dug out my paperwork to get a better idea of what you are talking about. You should have a letter from DPS Regulatory Services Division (Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau) that has your license number on it, It tells you when your CHL is due to expire, and tells you that you can renew online using a credit card via the State of Texas website. Click on Concealed Handgun License, which says you need:

Please provide the following:
    • Social security number,
    • Valid driver license or identification card,
    • Current demographic, address, contact, and employment information,
    • Residential and employment information for the last five years (new users only),
    • Information regarding any psychiatric, drug, alcohol, or criminal history (new users only),
    • Valid email address, and
    • Valid credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express)
      ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
    Click on "LOGIN" under "Returning Users" and it asks for:

• Identification Type*
      • Drivers License
      • State ID Card
    • DL Number*
    • ID Card Number*
    • SSN* Numbers only
    • Date of Birth* mm/dd/yyyy
    txdl_sample.jpg
    Put in that information and click "Continue"

I just did that and it gave me a rundown of everything I submitted for my renewal.

I paid online with a credit card and mailed everything via Certified Mail.

You won't get a PIN or any other information necessary to log in, just the data described above.

If for any reason you can't log in, call them at 1-800-224-5744.

Oh, and you will still need the CHL-100, Certificate of Training Form that your renewal course instructor will give to you after the class and range qualification.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2

heyeng

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Thanks for all the help. I might have looked like an idiot (judging from the previous posts), but alas, it wasn't me. DPS emailed me today and said that the online system is down and that they will send me a packet! Damn...wonder how long it's going to take now?!? What a bummer!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sorry to hear that, but in truth the online system was probably more to their benefit than ours!

But I don't understand how the system is "down," as I was able to log in and view my information last night when I typed the above reply. Weird!

But don't worry, if you get your packet in within a month or so it should be completed and back to you in plenty of time!

Cheers! M2

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    With the exception of "the system is down," the online application process has been a huge benefit to DPS, instructors AND students. For renewals, your paperwork has been reduced to an application receipt that you print out and your CHL-100 (from your instructor.) That's it. No more packets. No more affidavits. Unless you just have no access to the internet, I don't see how anyone could complain.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, not for everyone; I had to include copies of my birth certificate, certificate of citizenship, passport and DD Form 214 in addition to my CHL-100 and copy of my online payment receipt. And my renewal took almost as long as my initial application!

Whereas I understand that there are new requirement to prove citizenship, I think a DD Form 214 that shows 25 years of total military service, over 16 of which was as a commissioned officer (you cannot be an officer in the US military unless you are a US citizen) ought to be a clear indication that I am an American. Heck, I was actually born in a US Army hospital, to US parents (my mother is German but became a US citizen prior to my birth), by a US doctor, just in a foreign country.

So while I understand that this online system may increase the efficiency of processing; it sure didn't do me any favors! I just wonder if I have go through this drill all over again during my next renewal...

Cheers! M2

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Well, not for everyone; I had to include copies of my birth certificate, certificate of citizenship, passport and DD Form 214 in addition to my CHL-100 and copy of my online payment receipt. And my renewal took almost as long as my initial application!

Whereas I understand that there are new requirement to prove citizenship, I think a DD Form 214 that shows 25 years of total military service, over 16 of which was as a commissioned officer (you cannot be an officer in the US military unless you are a US citizen) ought to be a clear indication that I am an American. Heck, I was actually born in a US Army hospital, to US parents (my mother is German but became a US citizen prior to my birth), by a US doctor, just in a foreign country.

So while I understand that this online system may increase the efficiency of processing; it sure didn't do me any favors! I just wonder if I have go through this drill all over again during my next renewal...

Cheers! M2

You would have provided that either way. The online process didn't change anything in that regard.

Top Bottom